In Happier Times (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
I found an old pit pass and it brought back some amazing memories. Imagine being a 6th grader and in the pits at the legendary Manufacturers Funny Car championships. That was the night the incredibly beautiful Gay Brothers Infinity Firebird was parked next to the equally incredible Lime Fire Barracuda. An amazing night.

Attachments

• OCIRpitPass.jpg
    OCIRpitPass.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 18
I was there that night too. Lew Arrington had 2 cars, the GTO and his new Firebird. Saw Clare Sanders wheel the ride many a so-cal show, great stuff.

TopFuel@Lions

somehow missed this thread......really cool. some folks talk about being at woodstock. here on the mater the venues are classic dragstrips :cool:

Lions, San Fernando, both born 1955. Fernando lasted until 1969, Lions 1972. Classic drag strips. Fernando was called San Fernando Drag Strip, later changed to San Fernando Raceway. If I had a gazillion $$$, I would find an open space (lotsa that in AZ) and build an exact replica of Lions. Hire Larry Sutton as the starter and have Don Garlits make the opening pass. :)

My brother and I saw the Don and Roy Gay Infinity FC (I think it was a GTO) on a ramp truck at a full-service Gulf Oil station in Tulsa. We were both under 10 years old. After we drooled over it for about 10 minutes our mom came up with the best line ever. She said (in a serious tone of voice)" At least they could have offered you boys a ride."

OK; here’s my Don Gay story. Back in those days, us top fuel guys didn’t have much use for funny cars. These guys were stealing our thunder.
One night at Lions, it was top fuel and funny cars. We rolled up on to the rollers, then they stopped us while they ran some funnies. I was sitting on the rear tire watching the showmen Don Gay pulled up to our right up against the fence in that beautiful candy red GTO. He got out of the “door” and when he shut it, the front wheels fell over like fueler. It just blew me away. I became an instant funny car lover at that moment.

My brother and I saw the Don and Roy Gay Infinity FC (I think it was a GTO) on a ramp truck at a full-service Gulf Oil station in Tulsa. We were both under 10 years old. After we drooled over it for about 10 minutes our mom came up with the best line ever. She said (in a serious tone of voice)" At least they could have offered you boys a ride."
Don Gay GTO Infinity 8.JPG

One photo shows one of the Gay cars with CC/FD on the window. CC/ Fuel Dragster, a class waaaaay back then. NHRA didn't have a F/C class, so the early F/C ran with the dragsters. Jack Chrisman's Merc ran in one of the dragster classes. Gene Snow won Comp Elim in an injected F/C. It took NHRA some time to actually have a F/C class. Some of the early F/C were called S/FX, or Super Factory Experimantal. Fun time for funny car fans. Oh, anyone remember that there was a movement to rename "funny car" to "fuel coupe", cuz it sounded more professional. I liked that idea, cuz there were cars that ran "fuel coupe" back in the 50's. AA/FC then meant AA/Fuel Coupe. Today, I think the name should be AA/Fuel Streamliner..... heh

Also, what Jay said about dragsters VS funny cars. There was a movement in 1970's to run F/C only & get rid of T/F. I HATED F/C at that point, would not go to any of their races, cuz T/F was king and "umph" anyone who tried to take that away. Movement died and I went back to watching F/C. Oh yeah, maybe 1980's, the idea was to create one fuel class, kind of a streamlined T/F idea, but nuthin' happened with that either.

Jungle Jim's half track burnout in his Chevy II at OCIR permanently set the hook for me. I was standing along the fence (near the creek crossing) at OCIR when he went smoking by, then spectacle of him backing up, nitro fumes and tire smoke everywhere. One of my favorite drag slot cars is a replica of this car.

Attachments

• 20201106_094821.jpg
    20201106_094821.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back