IHRA Sportsman Points (1 Viewer)

Kati

Nitro Member
NHRA professionals weren't the only ones dealing with a new points system in 2007.

In 2007 IHRA dropped the 31 bonus points for the sportsman racers who competed in the maximum of 6 national events. This was done so not to punish those who couldn't afford to go to that many events.

Well........I never really cared before, 'cause we were never high enough in the national points over our first 2 seasons for it to matter one way or the other.

This year....it would have mattered....of course, isn't that the way things go? lol

Under the "old" points system, we would have finished #7 & #10...but now we're #8 and #14. It doesn't bother me too much....but I know it has to bother my "teammate" who didn't make the top 10...but would have any other year.

I don't think taking the bonus points away helped IHRA. IMO...it just made it so folks didn't HAVE to race IHRA...because there wasn't the extra incentive to run 6 events. (We actually ran 7 nationals...let alone how many extra divisonals we ran...but that's just 'cause we love racing with the IHRA family) So anyway....since they didn't HAVE to....they just went and spent their money elsewhere. I could be wrong.....have been before...;)..but maybe that had something to do with some, (not all) of the national event car counts.

Any thoughts?

NHRA professionals weren't the only ones dealing with a new points system in 2007.

In 2007 IHRA dropped the 31 bonus points for the sportsman racers who competed in the maximum of 6 national events. This was done so not to punish those who couldn't afford to go to that many events.

Well........I never really cared before, 'cause we were never high enough in the national points over our first 2 seasons for it to matter one way or the other.

This year....it would have mattered....of course, isn't that the way things go? lol

Under the "old" points system, we would have finished #7 & #10...but now we're #8 and #14. It doesn't bother me too much....but I know it has to bother my "teammate" who didn't make the top 10...but would have any other year.

I don't think taking the bonus points away helped IHRA. IMO...it just made it so folks didn't HAVE to race IHRA...because there wasn't the extra incentive to run 6 events. (We actually ran 7 nationals...let alone how many extra divisonals we ran...but that's just 'cause we love racing with the IHRA family) So anyway....since they didn't HAVE to....they just went and spent their money elsewhere. I could be wrong.....have been before...;)..but maybe that had something to do with some, (not all) of the national event car counts.

Any thoughts?
Just one; Would the folks finishing ahead, who your team mate had a chance of passing, have also gotten the extra points?

Some would have...some not. Some didn't go to very many national events. There would have been 2 fall out of the top 10...and two move up. Then the flip between me and another racer. They had strong divisional scores. So to me.....you didn't have to race many national events....to be a national champion as long as you had a strong divisional score. :confused:

Another thing they changed was how many National events we can claim. Used to be best 4 of 1st 6...now it's 3 of 1st 6. Divisional events count more points than national event do. 40 for 1st round loss divisional vs. 30 for 1st round loss in national.

We also can now claim our 1st 5 of 8 divisional vs. last year 1st 5 of 7.

Lots of changes and it really made things interesting this year for sure....I feel that they weren't all bad changes.....I just like the bonus points for attending......supporting the races on a national level.

It's JMO.......on the bonus points....and I'm sure the only other folks it bothers are the good handful of sportsman racers in all 7 categories that went to 6 or more....and didn't get them.

I know....long answer, eh? :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back