IHRA Help Needed - Our Track Switched (1 Viewer)

Earl

Nitro Member
I just learned that our local track in Salt Lake City switched from NHRA to IHRA. I went to the IHRA web site and could not find any information on classes, rule book, licensing, chassis certs etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to obtain that information?

This is quite a shock. All the tracks we travel to are NHRA. I am assuming we are going to have to have duel licenses, chassis certs ect. Nothing against the IHRA, but I don't think our local racers are going to be too happy about all of this. Any advice from anyone that has gone thru this would be great if you don't mind taking the time to respond. I am a no box Pro racer (or should I say I was >;-) ) and don't have a clue what the IHRA has....

Thanks In advance.

Earl

On the site (NitroJam.com) there's a competition link that has a bunch of info.

The short answer is that much of what you're doing cross-grades. A number of the classes are the same, just with different names. And if you have a current NHRA license, you can get an IHRA license pretty much by just paying a fee.

While I understand the concern, everybody says that the IHRA people are really helpful, so give 'em a call (see the link above for a phone number).

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris,

This does help. If nothing else, the positive nature of your reply is encouraging. Thank you for the links, I will check them out....

Earl

Good news, I just talked to our track manager, I think this could be a good thing. Especially for racers in my class - pro - no license required until you get below 9 sec. I know a lot of guys running low 10's might want to step their program up since they don't have to do the chassis cert and license until they reach 8.99. Feeling better about this all the time.

Earl

You may not have known this, but IHRA runs Box and No Box sportsman classes at their National Events!

Earl, like the other post said at the Nitrojam.com website under competition section there is an interactive rule book, it is very cool and easy to navigate. I have had not much time myself to study this, we (RMR) was not ready to announce this yet. we were trying to make sure all the information was here and understood so all your questions could be addressed. But some how it got leaked out.

IHRA has many programs that will work real good with what we do here and have some great things for the local type Racers. They are going to work with us on the membership, and Lic. and chassis certs this will help lesson the burden on the racers. I am still working close with NHRA for those Racers who still wish to travel to NHRA Tracks to keep doing Chassis Certs. And have asked if we could still do NHRA Lic. runs here also (waiting on a reply on that).

Ralph,

I know you and Ron are working hard in the back ground to make this a great transition. I did print the rule book last night and am reading it. I think it is fantastic you guys are working hard to make the change over as easy as possible. I am looking forward to another great year racing at the track.

Earl

From the 2008 IHRA Rule Book:

LICENSE: Each driver of a vehicle entered in any event conducted at an IHRA sanctioned track must have a valid State driver’s license beyond a learners permit and IHRA Competition License (except Junior Dragster). This license is subject to inspection at any time.

All drivers running 0-9.99 (6.4.9 1/8th mile) who have not previously held a Competition License will be given a special cockpit orientation (blindfold) test, and will be required to make a minimum of five (5) runs under the observation of either two IHRA officials or one IHRA Official and 3 currently licensed drivers.

Basically competition license runs...are needed for 9.99 and quicker...just like NHRA. BUT...it is very easy to crossgrade to IHRA for drivers who hold a current NHRA license. :) Donna @ IHRA...will help you folks with everything you need...she's great.

Last edited:
I will have to admit the prospect of being able to run a no box (bracket) car at a national event is exciting, and sounds like fun. You would never be able to do that at a NHRA national. Perhaps this could turn out to be a Kool deal :) I am the type of guy that takes awhile to warm up to change... I will get over it. :D

Earl

I'd heard about this also tuesday, guess it'll be interesting, I've raced at a IHRA track years ago, back east, it was fine, but you are correct Earl, we will still have the issue of other tracks close by, Boise, Las Vegas being NHRA, thats the only real drawback I see, I'm hoping that the Racer friendly reputation that the IHRA has will bleed over into the local RMR managment, guess I've never seen them working as hard for the racer as you.

Hello Earl, I heard about this Tuesday myself, guess news travel fast to make it up to Wyoming that quick, it will be a bit of an issue for me since i do race some at Boise and Las Vegas, I think your right on the double membership ect, I'm hoping the Racer friendly rep that the IHRA has bleeds into the local RMR management, guess I've never seen them work near as hard at Racer appreciation as Boise or Vegas, maybe the swith will give that a shot in the arm.

Glen,

The more I hear about this from the guys at RMR the better I am feeling about it. They are working hard to make this change over very racer friendly. If everything they are trying to do comes thru, I think we will be in good shape for the dual membership issues.

Don't make that Mopar any faster this year....:)

Look forward to seen you this year, and having some fun racing...

Earl

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back