I Love Pro Mod But... (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
13 of 16 qualifiers are Camaros. I was afraid of this trend. Everybody gravitates toward the best design, and right now I guess it’s the Camaro. Same for Alky FC. Thank God PM has 3 engine combos to spice it up.

I dig the new stuff but really like it mixed with the old stuff. But, it’s racing and I get that guys will keep building what is deemed to be the best mousetrap.

I have not followed Pro Mod much, but the variety of cars and combos remind me of the early Pro Comp days (just w/o dragsters). They even had a historic appeal RE the old 1960 gassers. If it goes cookie-cutter, it may lose some appeal.

Don't the older body styles get some sort of weight break in NHRA pro mod?
I haven't heard of that but could be. The only breaks I've heard of is the constant hassle between the Nitrous and the Turbo cars. That new Camero sure is the most
aerodynamic body in a long time though. Sure miss those old Willys and other old cars too.

Don't the older body styles get some sort of weight break in NHRA pro mod?
I almost think that was an old IHRA rule, could be wrong. But I think NHRA should consider it. And they’re all badass looking, but we need to keep the variety.

From the current rule book

Nostalgia body styles (1937-1938 Chevy, 1941 Willys, 1953
Studebaker, 1953-1962 Corvette and 1955-1957 Chevy and
Buick) may deduct 50 pounds from minimum weight

I like the variety of styles and engine combo's. Wasn't it a few years ago all of a sudden old school Vette's were the thing, now it's the Camaros. I wouldn't mind them doing something to help keep the variety.

Okay so let's go back to before the new generation Camaro came out. 2011 Gatornationals.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=222642&Filter=Year2011#indextop

11 of the 16 qualifiers and 13 of the 25 entrants were 1968 Camaros. Okay one was a "Firebird" which was a Camaro with a little different airbrushing on the nose. 2 other qualifiers and 1 non qualifier were the leftovers from the previous hot ticket in Pro Mod, the 63 Corvette. You had 1 67 Mustang, 1 69 Daytona, and 1 53 Corvette in the field. The DNQ list was a little more diverse with a 10 Mustang, 70 Duster, 70 Cuda, 69 Daytona, 07 GTO, and 09 Stratus. But the bottom line is, it's always monkey see monkey do, and if one body style seems to be doing the best or is the latest and greatest design, the orders come flooding in.

It's the same thing with the PDRA. Very Camaro heavy. There is a little more variety in the NMCA and the Midwest Pro Mod Series.

I think the whole solution relates to B.U.G's .... I know you folks need a variety of bodies to stare at, and I simply think that putting all of the emphasis on what's popping out of the carbon fiber molds is misplaced.

When it was first created, the Super Gas class was one of my favorites, because of the incredible variety of cars. Now, I think they ought to change the class designation to C/R, for Corvette Roadster.

When it was first created, the Super Gas class was one of my favorites, because of the incredible variety of cars. Now, I think they ought to change the class designation to C/R, for Corvette Roadster.
Oh I agree, as a kid I would sit in the stand to watch them forever. Loved going to Indy with 200+ showing up. All the variety of vehicles. Loved the Eckard brothers anglias back in the 80's. The onslaught of cookie cutter roadsters ruined it...of course the throttle stops killed it for me but that's another debate.

There is a guy out of Northern California (Ron Piazza) who races a turbocharged in-line 6 Toyota for power. Of course the body is a '68 Camaro though. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back