I have a question about the "Energy Drink" grandfather clause (2 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

Rat

Nitro Member
As those familar with this you are aware of what I mean. I found out Rockstar is owned by coke, does that mean they could sponsor again? I understand the rule but it is not clear on interbrand competition. Can Powerade come back and sponsor? could sprite or doctor pepper or vault?

As those familar with this you are aware of what I mean. I found out Rockstar is owned by coke, does that mean they could sponsor again? I understand the rule but it is not clear on interbrand competition. Can Powerade come back and sponsor? could sprite or doctor pepper or vault?

My understanding was that Coca-Cola was Rockstar's distributor, not owner.

If a product is truly owned by Coca-Cola, then theoretically it could be allowed to sponsor a team/event. But, if it's bottled or distributed by Coca-Cola then that's a different matter. Given that Coke owns Full Throttle, I don't see them bringing in their own competition.

The "grandfather" clause as it relates to energy drinks only permits those brands that were involved in direct team sponsorship at the time of the Full Throttle announcement to continue. Further, and most importantly, they had to stay with the same teams they were involved with at the time. In other words, Monster couldn't go from Kenny Bernstein's operation to, say, one of the DSR cars.

Because most of the energy drinks involved at that time were more flash than substance, or were from companies that didn't appear to have a major financial stake in their sponsorships, when those deals ended, for whatever reason, they simply disappeared.

I know several racers had deals pending with rival energy drink companies, and NHRA wouldn't permit them to go forward.

Just as POWERade kept out Gatorade, so too is Full Throttle keeping out the likes of Red Bull and so many others.

On one side of this issue is the perceived need to protect the series sponsor -- and you can't blame them for demanding that kind of exclusivity -- while on the other we all see potential sponsors out there who wouldn't be allowed to compete.

But now that the door for Gatorade is open, no one's been able to step through and get them involved.

Further, to my knowledge, no one has tested this exclusivity clause in court. That won't happen unless and until an energy drink company that really wants the NHRA Drag Racing audience decides to challenge it.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Good explanation, Jon.
I'd like to see Coca Cola put some marketing agreements together with Top Alcohol teams. Just a personal preference.

Cheers,
Ed

Further, to my knowledge, no one has tested this exclusivity clause in court. That won't happen unless and until an energy drink company that really wants the NHRA Drag Racing audience decides to challenge it.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

I think this line speaks volumes

The "grandfather" clause as it relates to energy drinks only permits those brands that were involved in direct team sponsorship at the time of the Full Throttle announcement to continue. Further, and most importantly, they had to stay with the same teams they were involved with at the time. In other words, Monster couldn't go from Kenny Bernstein's operation to, say, one of the DSR cars.

Because most of the energy drinks involved at that time were more flash than substance, or were from companies that didn't appear to have a major financial stake in their sponsorships, when those deals ended, for whatever reason, they simply disappeared.

I know several racers had deals pending with rival energy drink companies, and NHRA wouldn't permit them to go forward.

Just as POWERade kept out Gatorade, so too is Full Throttle keeping out the likes of Red Bull and so many others.

On one side of this issue is the perceived need to protect the series sponsor -- and you can't blame them for demanding that kind of exclusivity -- while on the other we all see potential sponsors out there who wouldn't be allowed to compete.

But now that the door for Gatorade is open, no one's been able to step through and get them involved.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Thank you for that, but just a question, let's say rockstar did challenge this? What do you think would you see happening in the outcome?

think rockstar is owned by talk show personality michael savage's son.
why play around in court with the nhra when the company has many
other sponsor opportunities to reach young males; and it shows, just turn
on your tv and tune into supercross, x-games, snowboarding, skateboarding,
rally racing, etc.

between exclusivity and various suspension rules, nhra presently still manages
16+ tf and fc fields at their nat. events - i would surmise if short fields
become the norm, then there may be policy changes. rite now their program
(i think) is adequate for their business model and series sponsorship
with coca-cola.

Patrick, I think your question was answered fairly well by Mike Larson.

With so many other opportunities available there’s very little incentive for someone to take NHRA to court over the exclusivity situation. As I wrote, someone would have to REALLY want the NHRA audience to go through the expense and time of a legal action.

There’s also no particular reason to believe a court would find in the plaintiff’s favor. They could just as easily side with NHRA.

Unless someone like Red Bull wasn’t satisfied with the bang for the buck they’re getting from NASCAR and F-1, the only incentive they’d have for taking on NHRA over this would their desire to go toe-to-toe with Full Throttle.

There’s one situation that probably precludes that kind of action by Red Bull, and that’s their massive market share compared to Full Throttle’s much smaller position in the marketplace. If Red Bull were to successfully challenge the exclusivity clause and sponsor a car or cars in drag racing, would that expenditure of sponsorship dollars result in an increase in product sales large enough to have justified the effort? Probably not, so why go through all the trouble?

It’s sort of like the situation with POWERade and Gatorade. The latter was, and continues to be, umpteen times larger in terms of total product sales than is the former, so they had little incentive to try and overcome the exclusivity clause. They were already so far ahead of POWERade that it probably wasn’t worth their time and energy.

It took less than five minutes to uncover a list of over 55 beverages (not including coffee) that are considered energy drinks by the beverage industry. Many of them, including names like Shark Stimulation and Powerking, I’d never even heard of. Interestingly, some of the brands that used to sponsor cars in drag racing are no longer even listed, which, if nothing else, is an indication of how small those deals, and those companies, must have been.

There’s another issue at play, and that’s how NHRA might handle the forced acceptance of a rival energy drink sponsor. It might not be overt, but I can’t see them going overboard in providing exposure in National Dragster or on nhra.com. While what makes the race telecasts is an ESPN and not NHRA decision, I would think it likely that NHRA would be “suggesting” to the network that the less coverage they provided the new energy drink sponsor, the better.

Of course, if the energy drink in question were to combine their sponsorship with strong advertising support, say on the NHRA race telecasts and even in the pages of National Dragster, all bets are off. There is no way NHRA would turn down advertising revenue in this kind of economy. Count the pages of Dragster now and compare it with two or three years ago. Ad pages are significantly down, and revenue is revenue. Look at NHRA’s recent attempt at raising fees on the Midway and the backlash that resulted. They appear to be desperate for additional money. Ads in Dragster from Red Bull? We’ll take ‘em!

The only scenario I can envision under which someone takes legal action over the exclusivity clause is if a big-name, successful, media-magnet racer comes up with an energy drink sponsor, and that prospective sponsor likes the racer and his program so much that they decide a suit is called for.

BUT, here’s the other side of that. I do know of a racer who fits all the criteria outlined in the paragraph above, but when the racer explained the situation regarding the exclusivity clause, the prospective sponsor walked away instead of fighting. In the corporate world they had to measure the value and costs of that fight against their prospective gains through the exposure that would have been generated, and they obviously felt that the costs outweighed the potential gains.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Does anyone remember when Sprint took over as the sponsor of the NASCAR series and one of the teams was sponsored by Cingular was grandfathered in, AT&T then acquired Cingular and the team was not allowed to rebrand the car as AT&T and the sponsorship agreement dissolved. I believe that went through the courts and the exclusivity clause must have held water.

there is one way for Red Bull to come in with out much of a fight.... Red Bull Cola ..but Red Bull is mostly seen as an energy drink company... so it would ruffle feathers for sure....

there's alot of money in the energy drink market... Robbie Gordon couldnt find sponsorship for his Cup car so he formed his own Energy drink company and according to reports its sales are funding a large protion (not all) of his current Cup efforts...

There’s another issue at play, and that’s how NHRA might handle the forced acceptance of a rival energy drink sponsor. It might not be overt, but I can’t see them going overboard in providing exposure in National Dragster or on nhra.com.

Not to derail this thread (which is a great read by the way), but this reminds me of the big test session a lot of teams had at PBIR in February. Several articles in National Dragster only mentioned that teams were "testing in Florida" with no mention of the actual track at which it took place. What are they afraid of? PBIR is an IHRA track any way....good grief how petty.

Patrick, I think your question was answered fairly well by Mike Larson.

With so many other opportunities available there’s very little incentive for someone to take NHRA to court over the exclusivity situation. As I wrote, someone would have to REALLY want the NHRA audience to go through the expense and time of a legal action.

There’s also no particular reason to believe a court would find in the plaintiff’s favor. They could just as easily side with NHRA.

Unless someone like Red Bull wasn’t satisfied with the bang for the buck they’re getting from NASCAR and F-1, the only incentive they’d have for taking on NHRA over this would their desire to go toe-to-toe with Full Throttle.

There’s one situation that probably precludes that kind of action by Red Bull, and that’s their massive market share compared to Full Throttle’s much smaller position in the marketplace. If Red Bull were to successfully challenge the exclusivity clause and sponsor a car or cars in drag racing, would that expenditure of sponsorship dollars result in an increase in product sales large enough to have justified the effort? Probably not, so why go through all the trouble?

It’s sort of like the situation with POWERade and Gatorade. The latter was, and continues to be, umpteen times larger in terms of total product sales than is the former, so they had little incentive to try and overcome the exclusivity clause. They were already so far ahead of POWERade that it probably wasn’t worth their time and energy.

It took less than five minutes to uncover a list of over 55 beverages (not including coffee) that are considered energy drinks by the beverage industry. Many of them, including names like Shark Stimulation and Powerking, I’d never even heard of. Interestingly, some of the brands that used to sponsor cars in drag racing are no longer even listed, which, if nothing else, is an indication of how small those deals, and those companies, must have been.

There’s another issue at play, and that’s how NHRA might handle the forced acceptance of a rival energy drink sponsor. It might not be overt, but I can’t see them going overboard in providing exposure in National Dragster or on nhra.com. While what makes the race telecasts is an ESPN and not NHRA decision, I would think it likely that NHRA would be “suggesting” to the network that the less coverage they provided the new energy drink sponsor, the better.

Of course, if the energy drink in question were to combine their sponsorship with strong advertising support, say on the NHRA race telecasts and even in the pages of National Dragster, all bets are off. There is no way NHRA would turn down advertising revenue in this kind of economy. Count the pages of Dragster now and compare it with two or three years ago. Ad pages are significantly down, and revenue is revenue. Look at NHRA’s recent attempt at raising fees on the Midway and the backlash that resulted. They appear to be desperate for additional money. Ads in Dragster from Red Bull? We’ll take ‘em!

The only scenario I can envision under which someone takes legal action over the exclusivity clause is if a big-name, successful, media-magnet racer comes up with an energy drink sponsor, and that prospective sponsor likes the racer and his program so much that they decide a suit is called for.

BUT, here’s the other side of that. I do know of a racer who fits all the criteria outlined in the paragraph above, but when the racer explained the situation regarding the exclusivity clause, the prospective sponsor walked away instead of fighting. In the corporate world they had to measure the value and costs of that fight against their prospective gains through the exposure that would have been generated, and they obviously felt that the costs outweighed the potential gains.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Thank you Jon and to Mike as well. I would imagine there are energy drink companies out there that would love to fight it, but Jon as you said the legal costs and the related to just getting to and completing that task would more than likey never ever be worth the money to the company. Even if they did won. Unless a company did not mind the money it spent for the fight, won, and enjoyed the exposure on the car that it made it worth it.

That is the only way I could see the challenge ever working, as that company would have to not be concered with the ROI at all in terms of ESPN and NHRA. Top end interviews may be very difficult with being sponsored by "rockstar" and having to drink full throttle, but I could see the company doing well with ROI because the teams and fans will see your sponsor and ESPN, NHRA or Coca-Cola, could never stop the fan or team from buying rockstar and that alone may be worth the price.

As far as the NHRA looking for all the addition revenue they can Strasburg's 1500 should of helped and they can also have a talk about taking A PAY REDUCTION, LOL WHO AM I KIDDING?

Not to derail this thread (which is a great read by the way), but this reminds me of the big test session a lot of teams had at PBIR in February. Several articles in National Dragster only mentioned that teams were "testing in Florida" with no mention of the actual track at which it took place. What are they afraid of? PBIR is an IHRA track any way....good grief how petty.

That is a very interesting point. NHRA is far ahead IHRA and IHRA is missing the package they had. I dont care what people say the days they had TF, FC, PS, AFC, and PM were the best they could get because if they fill the stands are not, it's not near what they could of had.

When the subject of finish line interviews and the like come up remember, no one forces any driver to don a Full Throttle hat, nor do they force him to start drinking it. That's the choice of the racer.

As far back as the Winston days I saw a number of instances when Winston hats were handed "into the TV picture" during a finish line interview, and the driver either ignored it outright, or in some instances, pulled his own hat out of his firesuit to help his team sponsor reap the benefits of that interview.

It is also possible for a driver to resist wearing a Full Throttle hat during driver headshot photos at the beginning of the season, but few appear strong enough to actually do that.

I can only speak for myself here, and don't honestly know how NHRA might react, but if I owned a team that was sponsored by Company X I would be telling my driver that if they wouldn't let him wear the Company X hat for the photo he should wear no hat at all. Again, I have no idea how NHRA might react to that, but from the prospective of the team owner, Full Throttle may be the series sponsor, but it's Company X that's paying to keep our car out there, and it's Company X that's spending a significant amount of money advertising their involvement with our team, not Full Throttle. My first loyalty would be to Company X, not the series sponsor.

When Budweiser sponsored the Funny Car Shootout/Showdown or whatever else you want to call it, drivers did agree to wear Bud hats even if they were sponsored by a rival brew. That happened twice, when Frank Hawley in the Huslter had Old Style backing, and in 1984 when Mark Oswald was driving Paul Candies' Motorcraft/Stroh's Ford.

After his first round win Oswald said to finish line interviewer Steve Evans, "We'd like to thank Budweiser for putting on this race, but it looks like it's going to be a Stroh's Light night tonight!" Evans turned to me and said, "That'll never make the air."

Oswald was no dummy. He said the same thing after winning each round and obviously, after winning the finale, it made the broadcast. One assumes the A-B folks weren't exactly thrilled.

The battle over hats and exposure is very real, and even though we might see one of these little incidents as being no big thing, that's not how they see it in the board room. Every mention, every visual is critically important.

It's probably safe to say that as long as NHRA has full fields of cars nothing will change, but if entries decline things could change.

We could also suggest that if Full Throttle had a real belief in the strength and value of their own product they wouldn't care if rivals were involved in the series. But, considering their sales position, I doubt if Coca-Cola has ANY faith in the product. They sure don't now, and didn't seem to ever have real belief in POWERade. They actually gave up on marketing the product.

IN the dream world Full Throttle would welcome entries from their rivals -- but that's not reality.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

The battle over hats and exposure is very real, and even though we might see one of these little incidents as being no big thing, that's not how they see it in the board room. Every mention, every visual is critically important.

I believe you Jon, and this brings to mind one incident in NASCAR a few years ago.

Jeff Gordon had won the race. He pulled into victory lane, and the roof of his car was immediatly populated with a variety of Powerade packages. (Powerade was sponsoring the victory circle presentations at the time.) Gordon climbed out of his car, saw all of this, and immediatly swept all of the stuff off of his car, and placed his bottle of Pepsi on the roof instead and proceeded with the interview.

Coke was not pleased. Iffen I'm remembering this right, NASCAR then made a rule that said race sponsor products could not be removed from the car in victory circle proceedings. The next time Gordon won a Coke sponsored race at the brickyard, he did the prerequiset burnout on the front straight, shut the car off, and that was it. He kissed the bricks, then stood there until they brought victory circle to him, rather than allow them to put more Coke product on his roof.

....yet to this day, my favorite sportscaster in the world, the legendary Bob Frey.... can get away every Sunday with saying, "Coming up - we have a MONSTER match up......."

I don't get it :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back