HTP and Thompson Get AMA Dragbike First (1 Viewer)

It’s all about wins in racing, obviously, and the amount of time it takes to get one and the amount of time it takes to get more. To Cecil Towner III of HTP Performance, it seems like a long time for his first AMA Dragbike win as a builder/tuner. “Glad to finally get an AMA win,” said Cecil. “Got that monkey off my back.”

But Towner hasn’t been at it nearly as long as his BST Real Street rider Keith Thompson. “It’s been a long time comin’ on the AMA scene, you know,” said Thompson.

Thompson and Towner teamed up for the MiRock True Street championship last year. “But I wanted to come out here and run Real Street in AMA and see what we could do,” said Thompson. “We’re trying to double up in both series this year.” Anybody ever done that before? Probably not, and definitely not on one bike, anyway. But Thompson got a good start on it with an Atlanta win.

The Real Street bikes put on a great show in Atlanta, doing some crazy wheelie-ing and posting good numbers. Thompson qualified number 2 with an 8.16 on his Suzuki GSXR1000, followed by HTP teammate Richard Gadson on a Hayabusa.

Towner and Thompson tweaked up the 1000 all day on raceday, giving the mix a little too much nitrous on their round 3 bye run and sending the front wheel soaring skyward at mid-track. “We tried to turn it up, but we turned it up a little too much,” said Keith. “Then we ran an 8.10 in the semi trying to get into the .0s. It leaned out a little bit on the topside, so we kind of turned it back down and it slowed up to a .17 in the final, but that was enough for the win.” Indeed it was, as final round opponent Jeremy Teasley rode out a massive wheelie of his own.

“I was just hoping we didn’t hurt it on the semifinal pass,” said Towner. “But I actually turned it down just to get it down the track. I loved racing my best friend Coby Adams in the final, and Jeremy Teasley is the most deadly hundred pound rider on the planet. People will really have to step their game up with those two teaming up. I actually owe a lot of thanks to Coby for parts supplied on all three of my race bikes.”

Rule changes this year to merge AMA Dragbike’s Real Street and MiRock’s True Street have swelled the class and allowed for the kind of top rank match-up that occurred between Thompson and Teasley, and a first AMA win for Towner. “I hope there's more to come in the future,” said Cecil. “I was very happy that the class adopted some rules from the MiRock series, and vice versa. It allowed us to use some of the best aftermarket wheels in the world, BSTs from Brock's Performance. Hopefully, with the addition of the wheels and Brock's new TiWinder, we will lay down the first 7 second pass in the class. Other than those things, the rule change didn't really affect our bike at all.

“And Keith is as deadly as ever. He’s consistent and on his game and makes me look good every time he sits on a motorcycle.” And helped get that monkey off his back, too.

In other news, the HTP nitrous Hayabusa Pro Street bike that debuted in Atlanta with Richard Gadson in the seat took a dramatic leap in performance a couple of weeks later in Maryland. Gadson knocked nearly 2/10ths off the previous nitrous streetbike record with a 7.48 and, along with his teammate Thompson, looks to go quicker still this weekend in Memphis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back