Hot rods targeted for Smog Check (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
It seems one of the liberals thinks by smogging muscle cars here in the California's central valley, it will reduce pollution. Apparently they haven't figured out that these cars are not typically driven daily, and probably contribute next to nothing to the pollution issues.

When the enhanced smog check started, we had to do it before the bay area, because our air quality was worse. I guess they didn't seem to realize the air from the bay is often blown into and down the valley by the Delta breeze.

Recordnet.com: Bill would require collectors to smog classic cars

Its funny- I remember the first time I heard about this...

I think it was in 1974-5, when the roadside inspections and sniff tests were gonna wipe out hot rods forever- or at least something to that affect, according to Car Craft magazine...:rolleyes:

Try to get a historical vehicle plate before it's to late. Not sure but that might help. Sorry I sold my Roadrunner but it will snow in hell before that baby would pass any kind of smog check.

Try to get a historical vehicle plate before it's to late. Not sure but that might help. Sorry I sold my Roadrunner but it will snow in hell before that baby would pass any kind of smog check.

I guess it's limited to the valley, but if it were to pass, the state would obviously look at the revenue it would bring in based on the cost of the certificates alone.

A little off topic, but... our Colorado Governor was going to abolish the Denver area emissions testing because only a tiny percentage of cars ever failed. And of course, there are fewer failures every year because of attrition. Now our new Governor is in office and he's going to step up emissions testing!

The old Governor was a big elephant, and our new Governor is a little ass.

We can get a classic plate for cars over 25 years old which is good for 5 years, but they still have to pass emissions testing.

The California program will never go away, it brings in too much revenue for the state. Every certificate is $8.25, the shops (us) by them from the state 50 at a time, and you cannot mark them up. The tests prices vary (we charge $59.95 for most vehicles) and it takes a lot of tests to pay for the machine, dyno, and this year the new evap tester. We won't even go into Test Only or any of the other crap that goes with the whole program.

But testing a few hot rods isn't going to do anything for the actual emissions problem. Just another tree-hugging liberal with another great idea....:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back