Hight on why John Force hasn't won yet this year (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Robert Hight won his fourth race of the year and first Funny Car victory at Bristol's Thunder Valley. In this podcast we talk about the win, the bet he won over Mike Neff, what has kept team owner John Force out of Victory Circle this season and he looks ahead to this weekend's race at Norwalk.

Robert Hight Podcast | rpm2night.com

thanks for visiting the website!
JK

Thanks for another great podcast, John! Also, that was a nice string of interviews on ESPN2 this past weekend. It added alot to the broadcast!

You're welcome. Had a lot of fun working the pits again. my next race will be at route 66. i actually get to work a "home" race!

If you listen to the podcast, Robert brings up a very good point. The weight difference between John and Ashley. You wouldn't think in an 8,000 hp monster that a few pounds would make a difference, but apparently it does!

I think Guido and Ron will get it figured out in the next month. Look for a decent western swing for John. At least that's my opinion, FWIW

If you listen to the podcast, Robert brings up a very good point. The weight difference between John and Ashley. You wouldn't think in an 8,000 hp monster that a few pounds would make a difference, but apparently it does!

I think Guido and Ron will get it figured out in the next month. Look for a decent western swing for John. At least that's my opinion, FWIW

I did not even think about that, it's that now you got 2 tuners who never tuned a male driver. Wow, I can't believe I never even considered that and it makes perfect sense as I am sure any weight movement of the car components they could of done with Ashley is wiped out with John.I do feel that Justin has it right, no more Mike Neff. No one really knows how much work Coil did in tuning in 2010.

The car ran just like Neff tuning now. Coil will always be the best tuner to ever touch a funny car from 1970's to the late 2000's but I will say that Neff is the best tuner in the class hands down. He's not the new Coil and he never will be, He's just the new top crew chief and will be probably until he retires. As far as Alan Johnson, I have no idea who was better than him before he started and I will certainly say he is the best tuner to ever touch a dragster and I can't even name anyone who could ever be the new top crew chief.

Last edited:
think about it. all cars, even those built to be the same, have their own "personalities." guido and ron can't use any of the notes they have, with that particular car because of the weight difference.

they can somewhat go off notes from the other cars, but like I said, all cars are different, even if they happen to be built to the same specs.

think about it. all cars, even those built to be the same, have their own "personalities." guido and ron can't use any of the notes they have, with that particular car because of the weight difference.

they can somewhat go off notes from the other cars, but like I said, all cars are different, even if they happen to be built to the same specs.

Exactly. I heard the exact same thing about Cruz and Tony Pedregon

it really is amazing when you consider it's probably a difference of 60 to 80 pounds and it's a car that's being pulled down the track by 8,000 hp. kinda gives you a better appreciation of just how good these tuners are when they're dealing in making small adjustments to pick up a hundredth or even a thousandth of a second!

check out the melanie troxel podcast. she talks about changing the front "clip" on the car to make all the difference in the world!

the people who work on these cars are amazing!

Since I was 14 I also wanted to be a tuner on one of these cars...i'm now 27 and I wouldn't even try!

I have no idea who was better than him before he started and I will certainly say he is the best tuner to ever touch a dragster and I can't even name anyone who could ever be the new top crew chief.

Before AJ...

Jimmy Prock
Dick Lahai
Lee Beard

To name a few.

I'm pretty sure Ashleys car (Johns now) is a Mckinney chassis, where Neff and Hight are using in-house JFR Chassis. I don't know if it matters all that much, but just a thought.

John's car is not too far off, he was Q1 for quite a stretch there, and he has been running decent, but loosing the close races.

R1 in Bristol, Force ran 4.19 with the top light out which was probably a 4.14-4.15 run.

Hight won with a 4.13, Arend won 4.15, Hagan 4.14, Beckman 4.15, Troxel 4.14.. John was right in the thick of things, problem was Cruz ran 2nd best ET of the round. 4.10.

Yea I was just thinking Tim Richards. Prock was good, but we are talking the best pre AJ comparision and I'm sorry I can't say Prock. Tim Richards had a domance and that is the best choice i could make as to the toughest before AJ. Today no one has yet to be as succesful as him, it could be Jason M. But what also tilts this list is the great crew chiefs did not have the countdown then. Alan Johnson is as equal as Tim Richards with 5, because Alan won 7, but 2 were in countdown format. It's hard to say if the countdown makes it easier to dominate

if there is one guy out there (still working) that doesn't IMO get the recognition he deserves is Ron Tobler;
his record speaks for itself past and present, tf and fc.

Last edited:
I must agree it's gotta be an even smarter breed of crew cheif that is able to perfect their skills enough to win in tf and fc. how many have actually done it? Dale Armstrong has although 1996 really was to be blane's. I can't think of any others who have done that.

Seriously is it only Dale Armstrong and Rahn Tobler?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back