Hearing Loss (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Maybe I am p&^%* on the third rail of drag racing by bringing this up, but how do the touring professional drivers and crew deal with the hellaciously loud noise? Does the tour have an audiologist who is "the guy" that helps them with hearing issues?

I was lucky to have met a well loved and successful older crew chief a few years ago. This poor soul had ZIPPO hearing. It was very difficult to communicate with him.

Mark
Untitled Document

What noise? I call it music!
When my wife was pregnant with all our boys, she was always in the stands at the stock car races (even in labor with Kyle). After they were born she brought them to the track the next weekend and they had no trouble with the "noise", sleeping right through it.
The first time I brought all of them to the Winternationals I was concerned this would be a real eye (or ear) opener with the fuel cars and them being all under the age of 5 or 6. After teaching them to not look like dorks and wait until the stage lights are all lit before covering their ears, they were asking me "hey Dad, I thought you said these cars were sooo loud it would hurt"?
After 3 pairs of TF cars they were running up and down the stairs like they were at the park! They got bored and we left early.
What was the question again, I cant hear you!

I think I have FAR more hearing loss from the Concerts I've attended than from Drag racing. I cover my ears for just about anything Blown, just about everything else I can handle OK.

My Dad was a crew chief on a Top fueler back in the 70's and early 80's. Granted they weren't as powerful back then.But he never wore ear protection and he has some tone deafness. For the most part he can hear but certain tones he can't hear a damn thing.

I think I have FAR more hearing loss from the Concerts I've attended than from Drag racing. I cover my ears for just about anything Blown, just about everything else I can handle OK.
Just because you can handle it doesn't mean it's not doing damage! Anything over 90 db for much time can cause permanent damage. I always take earplugs with me to the drag races, I want to be able to hear when I'm older.

What makes me crazy is when people bring little kids (even babies) and think that covering their ears with their cupped hands is going to shield the noise. :confused: I cringed at Englishtown this year with a young couple trying to deal with a baby and toddler...the baby screamed every run..

Not ashamed to say I always wear ear plugs or the hearing protectors I use when target shooting. :D

Last edited:
I lost the ability to hear certain tones while working on B-52 jet engines when I was in the USAF and didn't always use hearing protection (young and dumb).

Now that I am a pyrotechnician and around loud noises every day I am careful to protect whatever hearing I have left (older and wiser).

I've been going to the drag races since I was 8 and now at 46 I do have hearing loss that is attributed to the racing environment.I did not wear hearing protection with my own car.I now wear ear plugs at work and also if I know I'll be around loud machinery,and of course at the race track.

I don't know if it's from attending all the races over the last 37 years or not but I suffer from tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears). The only time it bothers me is while laying in bed at night and the wife says to me "what was that, did you hear that?" and I'm trying to listen for what she heard and I respond "the only thing I hear is the ringing in my ears". She teases me that I'll be deaf when I'm 70. Maybe so, but I had a fun time getting there.

Now, I do tend to put in the ear plugs when the fuel cars are staged and ready to launch. Also, in the pits if I'm standing close to one when lit.

For gassers I don't wear any ear protection, but once alky and nitro cars show up I put on my ear muffs. My dad however doesn't wear ear protection AT ALL, I'm amazed he's not deaf by now!

I have some ringing in one ear,my left ear.
At the track in the old days I had one of those big VCR video cameras,and it protected my right ear,but my left ear got the abuse.
nitro cars and funny cars are loud,but the one that stands out the most for me was one of those nitro harley bikes,I thought oh its only 2 cylinders,it would not be that loud,well let me tell you my ears were ringing when I walked away.when i was younger my dad would always tell me to turn down my music...or I'll go deaf,my reply was,"at least I'll be alive,and not dead from smoking"

I don't know if it's from attending all the races over the last 37 years or not but I suffer from tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears). The only time it bothers me is while laying in bed at night and the wife says to me "what was that, did you hear that?" and I'm trying to listen for what she heard and I respond "the only thing I hear is the ringing in my ears". She teases me that I'll be deaf when I'm 70. Maybe so, but I had a fun time getting there.

Now, I do tend to put in the ear plugs when the fuel cars are staged and ready to launch. Also, in the pits if I'm standing close to one when lit.

That describes me to a Tee. I HATE the quiet cause all I can hear is my ears ringing. The hearing Dr told me to wear ear plugs even when mowing the lawn. He said at this point I've got to protect what little hearing I have left.Although it can be handy at times when your wife just gives up trying to talk to you;) or people THINK you can't hear what they are saying.

Just because you can handle it doesn't mean it's not doing damage! Anything over 90 db for much time can cause permanent damage. I always take earplugs with me to the drag races, I want to be able to hear when I'm older.

Brent, a 6 sec. Pro stock run doesn't do nearly as much damage to your ears as 110 DB straight for an hour or two at a concert! There's NO comparison.

I've been going to drag races since a younin' and now I bring my son. I always preach hearing protection even though my dad never worn any. me at 40, have no hearing loss and it is checked every year at work. I find it easier in the pits taking pictures and video with plugs in, then you only have to worried about the nitro blinding you and tripping over people when you can't see. I also wonder about parent dragggin young kids to the track and not providing hearing protection. I alway bring a pocket full and hand out to the needy.

I've been going to drag races since a younin' and now I bring my son. I always preach hearing protection even though my dad never worn any. me at 40, have no hearing loss and it is checked every year at work. I find it easier in the pits taking pictures and video with plugs in, then you only have to worried about the nitro blinding you and tripping over people when you can't see. I also wonder about parent dragggin young kids to the track and not providing hearing protection. I alway bring a pocket full and hand out to the needy.

That is a problem, adults walking through the pits with young kids and NO ear protection. I was at Pomona a few years back and right under the Stands near the Starting line during the Fuel cars was a woman with a young kid in a stroller. I warned her about the Loud noise on a young kid and she said "He won't wear them!" Meaning earplugs, sounded like a lame excuse.

Us old guys, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING EARPLUGS.........Now that was that you said...........Please speak up.:D

Mike, Mark, and Magic Mike...

you guys nailed it, also add in the shooting... There's not a dang thing that can be done for it... really bad today, I werked rock-n-bowl last night for Kat and Cheryl... and it seem the more tired I am, the worst it gets... and that means even less sleep...

and people wonder why I'm a grumpy old man

d'kid

I have something called "sudden hearing loss" making a long story short a little over a year ago I took a short 1-1/2 hour nap and when went to sleep I could hear perfectly and when I woke up I was totally deaf in my left ear. Let me tell you that takes a little adjusting.

So take some advise from someone who knows just how precious hearing is.

"WEAR SOME FRICKIN HEARING PROTECTION"

The only time I plug my ears is when they "whack" the throttle on a fueler during warm up. Other than that it doesn't bother me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back