Has the NHRA thrown in the towel? (1 Viewer)

Baron

Nitro Member
"Because the traditional 1,320 length is no longer the standard in drag racing - and that the hue and cry of those purists has largely died down . . . ."
Those words are from Phil Burgess' column in National Dragster Volume 53 Issue 13 the number with a cover date of April 20, 2012.
I have no issue with the author as he writes as he sees things. He is entitled to his view and he has done an admirable job as the Editor of ND.
I am concerned that the NHRA has concluded that the truncated racing in Top Fuel and Funny Car requires no correction.
Drag racing is a quarter mile sport. The top drag racing sanctioning body should be pressing forward with plans to return to that distance in all classes.
Soon.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

I am concerned that the NHRA has concluded that the truncated racing in Top Fuel and Funny Car requires no correction.

My opinion is that you may so conclude. :(

We have a Southwest Superchargers circuit here in Texas; I assume it's similar to the Rocky Mountain version. We always enjoy their coming to town...they put on a really good show. ;)

My opinion is that you may so conclude. :(

We have a Southwest Superchargers circuit here in Texas; I assume it's similar to the Rocky Mountain version. We always enjoy their coming to town...they put on a really good show. ;)

I know of your group, Carl, and have had a number of the Southwest guys (and gal) join us at Pueblo Motorsports Park. We are trying to work with Andy Mears, Jerry Norman, Lyle Byrum, and others to raise the profile of our supercharged racers in the area. Our formats are a little different, but we can easily square off with one another to build attendance at joint events.
See ya' at the races!
Cheers,
Ed

Depending on the weekend only 32 race cars compete to 1000 feet. The remaining 100,000 still race to 1320. The finish line for TF and FC doesn't define what drag racing is all about to me.

That would cause more tracks to be built. Can't have that.

How would that cause more tracks to be built? There is not a tremendous difference in the physical footprint of a 1,000ft track versus a quarter mile track.

The ONLY thing that will cause more tracks to get built is front gate profitability. Right now, that doesn't exist for most tracks outside of 1 or 2 dates a year.

The purist haven't died down, they stopped complaining because they don't care anymore. Face it, racers are going to NHRA events less and going to smaller organization's events instead. Such as the ones you have listed. We run with ANRA here in California ANRA

This is what I notice when I spend my 5 minutes a week with a National Dragster, less advertisers and more fluff articles.

they threw in the towel and fully embraced their tremendous NASCAR envy when they started pro stock truck, started that ridiculous contrived "countdown/chase", changed to 1000', got rid of nitro bikes, fuel altereds, and abandoned all the historical and unique venues that helped them become the drag juggernaut.....

I am currently about 4 miles from what used to be the OCIR starting line....everytime I drive by I get a little angry....

the same people that gleefully purchase lower cost property in proximity to airports and race tracks immediately turn around and say "get rid of those loud things, it's ruining my life".....

they threw in the towel and fully embraced their tremendous NASCAR envy when they started pro stock truck, started that ridiculous contrived "countdown/chase", changed to 1000', got rid of nitro bikes, fuel altereds, and abandoned all the historical and unique venues that helped them become the drag juggernaut.....

I am currently about 4 miles from what used to be the OCIR starting line....everytime I drive by I get a little angry....

the same people that gleefully purchase lower cost property in proximity to airports and race tracks immediately turn around and say "get rid of those loud things, it's ruining my life".....
This is one of the truest posts I've ever read. Why would any sane fan complain when nobody's listening? Wanna see the NHRA's open-door policy in action? Look at the replay of Dave Connolly getting shafted last weekend.

Well Speed is back up to 332 MPH in 1,000 ft.
I wonder what Spenser would have done in another 320 ft. !
I think for the Fuel Cars NHRA is right !

This is one of the truest posts I've ever read. Why would any sane fan complain when nobody's listening? Wanna see the NHRA's open-door policy in action? Look at the replay of Dave Connolly getting shafted last weekend.

DC didn't get shafted. He was a victim of his own starting line games. In the interview he said something to the effect that in "his pair" he didn't get 7 seconds. He should have known the 7 seconds doesn't start for him when one of the cars in "his pair" stages. The 7 seconds starts when any one of the four cars moves in to stage. Lane 1 staged and the countdown started. Even if it were a true 7 seconds, or 10 seconds for that matter, DC made no attempt to move his car in to stage at all.

Between DC and Stanfield, both of those guys were waiting for each other and both got what they deserve for holding the group out.

Just like Greg Anderson said well before the DC incident...with 4 cars on the line it's confusing enough. You need to move in and stage like you're supposed to. Playing games will only hurt YOU.

RG

Last edited:
"Because the traditional 1,320 length is no longer the standard in drag racing - and that the hue and cry of those purists has largely died down . . . ."
Those words are from Phil Burgess' column in National Dragster Volume 53 Issue 13 the number with a cover date of April 20, 2012.
I have no issue with the author as he writes as he sees things. He is entitled to his view and he has done an admirable job as the Editor of ND.
Drag racing is a quarter mile sport. The top drag racing sanctioning body should be pressing forward with plans to return to that distance in all classes.
Soon.
Cheers,
Ed

Since they don't listen why complain anymore, just don't buy tickets, maybe that will work. I went to four National events a few years back. Not anymore, but I do go to several non nhra events.

How would that cause more tracks to be built? There is not a tremendous difference in the physical footprint of a 1,000ft track versus a quarter mile track.

The ONLY thing that will cause more tracks to get built is front gate profitability. Right now, that doesn't exist for most tracks outside of 1 or 2 dates a year.

I agree, in this still struggling economy even an 1/8 mile track is a Huge investment!

Yuppies who think their S*** don't stink and think they deserve everything at their feet

Soon.
Cheers,
Ed

The standard in Drag Racing is 1320. It is NHRA Racing that has changed. Until the NHRA have the technical expertise to identify real solutions to the issues of speed and cost it will continue on a path to its death.

Lets face it, they can't even handle FI in Pro Stock how are the going to resolve issues with cars with 3-4 times the HP?

IMHO we will continue to see other options to the NHRA Circus...:rolleyes:

First of all I'm in favor of eventually going back to 1/4 mile racing for the fuel classes. Unfortunately current track and car designs don't make this a viable reality. Most recent case in point was Antron Brown's tire coming apart. If he had gone another 320 feet at full power the results could have been catastrophic. NHRA needs to slow the cars down period. Slower speeds, better tire technology and/ or longer shut down areas are needed before the fuel cars can return to 1/4 mile racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back