Hagan Reenergized For 2013 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Season (1 Viewer)

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (Feb. 12, 2013) - It's been a long offseason for Matt Hagan, pilot of the Mopar/Rocky Boots Dodge Charger R/T for Don Schumacher Racing. Hagan, a cattle farmer in rural Virginia, works just as hard during his "time off" as he does at each NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series event.

He'll soon be trading in his 15-mph John Deere tractor and Rocky work boots for his 10,000-horsepower Funny Car and fireproof gear for NHRA's first event of 2013, the 53rd annual NHRA Winternationals. And he can't wait.

"I'm just eager," Hagan said. "I just can't wait to get back in my race car and run more than 300 mph again. That's just a rush that you can't really find anywhere else. To me it's just an exciting time.

"There are a lot of new variables on the team this year and I just want to get in the car and get that first lap under our belt."

Veteran championship tuner Dickie Venables will be calling the shots on Hagan's car this year. Following a successful test session in South Florida in January with Phil Shuler and Todd Okuhara tuning the car, team owner Don Schumacher hired Venables for Hagan's car when sponsorship was secured for DSR's third dragster, which Shuler will tune.

"Dickie has a great track record and has a world championship just like I do," Hagan said. "It's really cool that we can bring two champions together and work hard and hopefully the hard work will pay off."

After some shuffling in the off season, Venables won't be the only new face on the 2013 roster for the Mopar/Rocky Boots team. Mike Knudsen, a former crew member on Spencer Massey's dragster, has been promoted to assistant crew chief on Hagan's team.

"There are obviously some unknowns that we're going to have to work through with some new guys on our crew and a new crew chief but that's nothing that we can't overcome with hard work," Hagan said. "To me I'm really excited to get out to Pomona. We have a new sponsor on board with Rocky Boots and we've got Mopar on board again this year."

Hagan is already getting rave reviews from his team members regarding Venables.

"Dickie has been talking to the guys and they seem to be very excited about our group," he said. "They are already saying he's a great leader and has been at the shop every day working hard. That's what it takes. It's really going to come down to leadership and I think he's got what it takes to lead us to a successful season.

"Hopefully we mesh well together and win a race or two along the way and contend for a championship. It starts now. Practice is over and it's time to go put your game face on and get out there and make it happen."

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back