Green Elephant AA/FC (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member
For those of us who built model's in 60's and 70's this is really cool. This is a new tooling from
Atlantis. Looks like the real deal AA/FC and big too. 1:16 scale. Just ordered mine. something fun to
do this winter. Kind of pricey, will need to get paint...ect maybe around $120.00 if you are going to
do it right? But a little cheaper then real AA/FC

1629038705016.png

1629038793494.png

Last edited:
For those of us who built model's in 60's and 70's this is really cool. This is a new tooling from
Atlantis. Looks like the real deal AA/FC and big too. 1:16 scale.

Jim, This is not a new tooling, it is the old 70's Revell tooling that was sold to Atlantis in the Revell bankruptcy. It does have new tooled front and rear tires, (which I here a lot of people say are not that good, but better than the original ones from the 70's). It also has new decals as the Green Elephant was never a Revell kit.
A Jungle Jim kit is to be released later in the year, but I hear without the Revell logos.

Jim, This is not a new tooling, it is the old 70's Revell tooling that was sold to Atlantis in the Revell bankruptcy. It does have new tooled front and rear tires, (which I here a lot of people say are not that good, but better than the original ones from the 70's). It also has new decals as the Green Elephant was never a Revell kit.
A Jungle Jim kit is to be released later in the year, but I hear without the Revell logos.
Thanks Terry, for the update and info. It's bin 45 plus years since I built my last model.
Can't remember Revell having the Green Elephant model kit?

View attachment 8575
The 'Green Elephant' was always at Firebird when I was growing up. Always liked the Vega. Rob Bruins drove it.
I to saw the Elephant many times at Seattle and Puyallup in the 70's. Me, I really love the 1973 Vega body AA/FC
with the late great Frank Hall in the seat. But I'm also a huge Rob Bruins fan! I'm friends with Jim and Betty's
daughter Lori and grandaughter Nicky

Washington State resident Rob Bruins wrenching on the AA/FD of Gaines Markley ( Wa State too)
your 1979 NHRA Top Fuel World Champion
1629054307523.png

Last edited:
I to saw the Elephant many times at Seattle and Puyallup in the 70's. Me, I really love the 1973 Vega body AA/FC
with the late great Frank Hall in the seat. But I'm also a huge Rob Bruins fan! I'm friends with Jim and Betty's
daughter Lori and grandaughter Nicky

Washington State resident Rob Bruins wrenching on the AA/FD of Gaines Markley ( Wa State too)
your 1979 NHRA Top Fuel World Champion
View attachment 8577
Mike Miller drove that car early on too, if I remember. Saw Hall drive Gordie Bonin's second Flo-Rite car at the '81 AHRA Ignitor race (wasn't the turbo car) in Boise. Bonin and Jerry Verheul were always my guys as a kid. That Flo-Rite deal went away pretty quick. Hated to see that Pacemaker team break up. Good memories going to the Firebird track growing up.

Mike Miller drove that car early on too, if I remember. Saw Hall drive Gordie Bonin's second Flo-Rite car at the '81 AHRA Ignitor race (wasn't the turbo car) in Boise. Bonin and Jerry Verheul were always my guys as a kid. That Flo-Rite deal went away pretty quick. Hated to see that Pacemaker team break up. Good memories going to the Firebird track growing up.
Miller, Bonin, Verheul just great drag racers from the Northwest, saw them many times. Chris you mentioned the turbo car, Bonin-Verheul
saw it once at Seattle made a couple hits, trying to work the bugs out That got me thinking did you ever see the turbo
Top Fuel Dragster of Gale Banks and Ron Hogdson saw it at Spokane, I think with Funny Car driver Rick Johnson in the seat
I think at onetime both cars had potential. Wonder what happen, money, parts or ? Can't remember 40 years ago.

1629078188485.png

Banks and Hogdson Turbo Top Fuel Dragster. Looks like a former Larry Minor car

Verhuel and Bonin Turbo-Charged Funny Car
1629079169928.png

1629079195986.png

The late Jerry Verheul tinkering with something?

Last edited:
No, never saw the turbo car ever run. Idt, Gordie ever liked it, and it never ran competitively. Right? Lack of $ is why I'm sure they didn't keep testing it. First pic is from '80 in the '79 Trans AM that won three Natl Events yr before. No Bubble-Up on the car. Last pic is the '81 car it looks like. Flo-Rite

Last edited:
I don't remember much about the TF turbo car. Hodgson still trying to get it to work. Was Jerry still there then? About the time he went hydroplane racing. Gordie was gone.

Last edited:
I don't remember much about the TF turbo car. Hodgson still trying to get it to work. Was Jerry still there then? Gordie was gone.
I think the Top Fuel car was a all Gale Banks deal. Hodgson supplied the car. I don't think Verhuel or Bonin had anything
to do with the car. I could be wrong? And Banks is a pretty big time turbo guy. I haven't heard anything about the Top Fuel car
in 35 plus years

Last edited:
Jerry was definitely thinking outside the box with the turbo idea. I was a little kid then. SS&DI was always a Xmas present and I remember reading about it there. I remember talking to Gordie in the pits at the Winters '94 when he got the Smokin' Joe's deal. He let me and buddies thru the ropes and we talked about those old 16, 32, 64 FC shows in Boise, Portland, Seattle. My buddies had no idea wtf we were talking about, but they were impressed, lol. Miss that guy. My favorite.

Jerry was definitely thinking outside the box with the turbo idea. I was a little kid then. SS&DI was always a Xmas present and I remember reading about it there. I remember talking to Gordie in the pits at the Winters '94 when he got the Smokin' Joe's deal. He let me and buddies thru the ropes and we talked about those old 16, 32, 64 FC shows in Boise, Portland, Seattle. My buddies had no idea wtf we were talking about, but they were impressed, lo
64 Funny Car shows at Seattle went to everyone, 1972 threw 1975 shows, the best ones ever. I was at the 94 Winters too.
My Friend the late John Shoemaker won TAD that weekend

What fuel team today would put up with the staging antics of a turbo car in the other lane,.................hang on...........I'm spooling up................. if they acted anything like today's 1/8 mile hoppers?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back