Good for Pro Stock? (1 Viewer)

After two rounds of qualifying they're 6 MPH off the lead and two tenths shy.

It's a nice fantasy to imagine a Ford running with the GM cars, but to do that they actually have to find better people than Warren Johnson, Victor Cagnazzi and Greg Anderson to lead them to the promised land. After they find these new super talents, they'll need to overcome 20 years of no development. Once they've done that, they'll need to outperform the consistent development of WJ, Anderson, Cagnazzi and other GM camps...which was happening while the Ford camp was trying to overcome 20 years of no development. Easy...right? Sure...just ask Allen Johnson, Larry Morgan, David Nickens and Bob Panella. These Mopar engine builders are still chasing the GM teams. They've had access to factory engineering, factory funding and tons of wind tunnel work. Chrysler even funded an all-new Pro Stock specific enging block and head configuration to compete. They're still not quite as strong as the leading GM engines. I believe the current Stratus is on it's 5th body modification. The Dodge body is still considered to be 1 MPH slower than the GM bodies. Easy...right?

Ford will struggle with funding a Pro Stock engine program. Ford, while not seeking government assistance, is mired in red ink. Their company stock has plummeted from $8.79 per share on 4/24/08 to yesterday's close of $1.58. I can't imagine stock investors will be impressed if Ford were to bankroll an NHRA Pro Stock engine program.

The Comp Plus article is an interesting and entertaining read. Time will tell, but I believe we'll find it to be more entertainment than reality.
EXCELLENT post johnny! with the exception of allen johnson, the other hemi powered cars are a little bit off ,mostly because of the bodies, but it will take YEARS for an out of the box new design ford motor to blow away everyone in pro stock.

After two rounds of qualifying they're 6 MPH off the lead and two tenths shy.

It's a nice fantasy to imagine a Ford running with the GM cars, but to do that they actually have to find better people than Warren Johnson, Victor Cagnazzi and Greg Anderson to lead them to the promised land. After they find these new super talents, they'll need to overcome 20 years of no development. Once they've done that, they'll need to outperform the consistent development of WJ, Anderson, Cagnazzi and other GM camps...which was happening while the Ford camp was trying to overcome 20 years of no development. Easy...right? Sure...just ask Allen Johnson, Larry Morgan, David Nickens and Bob Panella. These Mopar engine builders are still chasing the GM teams. They've had access to factory engineering, factory funding and tons of wind tunnel work. Chrysler even funded an all-new Pro Stock specific enging block and head configuration to compete. They're still not quite as strong as the leading GM engines. I believe the current Stratus is on it's 5th body modification. The Dodge body is still considered to be 1 MPH slower than the GM bodies. Easy...right?

Ford will struggle with funding a Pro Stock engine program. Ford, while not seeking government assistance, is mired in red ink. Their company stock has plummeted from $8.79 per share on 4/24/08 to yesterday's close of $1.58. I can't imagine stock investors will be impressed if Ford were to bankroll an NHRA Pro Stock engine program.

The Comp Plus article is an interesting and entertaining read. Time will tell, but I believe we'll find it to be more entertainment than reality.

Hey John -nothing personal, but could you switch to a darker colored text so I can read your posts? Surely I can't be the only one here with bad eyesight...;)

U really think the stock investors know or give a sh!t that they would be bankrolling a Pro Stock engine? That is laffable. They will likely only see a line item such as "motorsports marketing". AND it will be WAY less than they are spending in NASCAR.

Also for them to be "20 years behind" GM, 2 tenths and 6 MPH is not bad.

I ask all you guys who seem to be eager to see them fail or degrade/question their effort ... what are they supposed to do? Stay home? Not even try? They have nowhere to go but up.

Pro Stock is a better place with all of the big 3 involved, so I am happy they are out there giving it a shot.

Chris,

I have nothing against 'Ford' being involved. I was a huge Bob Glidden fan, and continue to be so.

These are challenging times for the Big 3. Spending new money on an NHRA engine program can not lead to new sales and new profits. I find it (at the least) surprising that they would attempt to justify such an investment in marketing funds.

My point is that the GM teams have been superior in the class since the mid 70's. The only exception would be the dominating years of Bob Glidden. If Ford makes it back to a competitive level...great! The mountain is steep and the odds are certainly stacked against them. The Mopar teams have spent 10's of millions of dollars over the last 20 years and still haven't surpassed the GM teams. It would be sentimental to see GM/Ford/Dodge matchups on the starting line. I just think a company that is bleeding red ink would be better served to take those marketing dollars and use them to promote the sales of new vehicles. That's certainly what their investors are banking on them to do.

maybe it's time to wipe the slate clean and start with production based engines again so the manufacturers don't have to spend mountains of money to race Pro Stock?

We are seeing a revival of RWD, 2-door, V8 performance cars in the real world, heck even Hyundai is going to have one, but Pro Stock is still the realm of morphed 4-door FWDs that bare hardly any resemblance to anything anyone actually sells...

so re-write the rules and level the paying field then maybe one manufacturer won't have a 20 year head start.......and maybe there will be some variety (and relevance) in the Pro Stock fields again

maybe it's time to wipe the slate clean and start with production based engines again so the manufacturers don't have to spend mountains of money to race Pro Stock?

We are seeing a revival of RWD, 2-door, V8 performance cars in the real world, heck even Hyundai is going to have one, but Pro Stock is still the realm of morphed 4-door FWDs that bare hardly any resemblance to anything anyone actually sells...

so re-write the rules and level the paying field then maybe one manufacturer won't have a 20 year head start.......and maybe there will be some variety (and relevance) in the Pro Stock fields again
AMEN!!! Bring back "Win on Sunday Sell on Monday" to the BIG 3

Chris,

I have nothing against 'Ford' being involved. I was a huge Bob Glidden fan, and continue to be so.

These are challenging times for the Big 3. Spending new money on an NHRA engine program can not lead to new sales and new profits. I find it (at the least) surprising that they would attempt to justify such an investment in marketing funds.

My point is that the GM teams have been superior in the class since the mid 70's. The only exception would be the dominating years of Bob Glidden. If Ford makes it back to a competitive level...great! The mountain is steep and the odds are certainly stacked against them. The Mopar teams have spent 10's of millions of dollars over the last 20 years and still haven't surpassed the GM teams. It would be sentimental to see GM/Ford/Dodge matchups on the starting line. I just think a company that is bleeding red ink would be better served to take those marketing dollars and use them to promote the sales of new vehicles. That's certainly what their investors are banking on them to do.

Ford is bleeding less than GM or Mopar. Ford is obviously seeing a nice return on the money they spend with Force and want to up their involvement in NHRA. Plus if you can bring along Roush/Yates ... all the better, because then they are realizing money they spend in NASCAR over here in drag racing as well. That is what they are supposed to do with marketing dollars ... maximize them.

Cunningham and anyone else wanting to run the blue oval in Pro Stock know they are up against it ... but I say again ... what are they supposed to do? Stay home? Not try? The ONLY way the ET's will come down is by having a car out there on the track and constantly working at it to improve.

They dont have to spend the development money if they dont want to , they all could use anyone of there big block or small block engines if they wanted . You can still go to ford , mopar , or GM and buy most of there older engines from the 60's and 70's well you can with mopar and GM not sure about ford.

They dont have to spend the development money if they dont want to , they all could use anyone of there big block or small block engines if they wanted . You can still go to ford , mopar , or GM and buy most of there older engines from the 60's and 70's well you can with mopar and GM not sure about ford.

but ever since NHRA allowed GM to use a "made just for racing" block none of the production based blocks can be competitive...and I could be wrong but didn't NHRA change the rules to effectively make the old Ford BB illegal? (bore centers or cam height or something like that?)

but ever since NHRA allowed GM to use a "made just for racing" block none of the production based blocks can be competitive...and I could be wrong but didn't NHRA change the rules to effectively make the old Ford BB illegal? (bore centers or cam height or something like that?)
It was the Boss 429 block (5" bore center?) and yes, NHRA outlawed it.

but ever since NHRA allowed GM to use a "made just for racing" block none of the production based blocks can be competitive

I dont know about that , Some people seem to be running pretty good in sportsman racing with DART made chevrolet engines like those sold by sonny leonard and pat musi and reher morrison and other engine builders . I dont think it would be that hard for someone to put something good together .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back