Gilby anxious for 2007 season to start (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON ANXIOUS FOR 2007 DRAG RACING SEASON TO START

Testing in Las Vegas to kick-off a busy year

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson can't wait until this Friday when he'll hop into the drivers seat of his Autolite Spark Plugs/Prestone Antifreeze Funny Car for the first time this year at the "Last Chance" test session at The Strip At Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

This event is the final testing opportunity for the teams competing on the 23-race NHRA POWERade series before the season-opening Winternationals Feb. 8-11 and Gilbertson and his Terminator Motorsports team are chomping at the bit to get back on track after a winter layoff.

"I'm really looking forward to making some laps and getting back into the racing mode," Gilbertson said. "We've got a lot of new parts we want to try and a few new crewmembers that need to get acclimated to working on the car while under the gun and this test will allow us to prepare for next weekend's Winternationals. Hopefully all will go well and we'll roll into Pomona with a tune-up that will be competitive and if I do my job driving maybe we'll be able to go rounds and with a little luck maybe even win the race."

Gilbertson's crew chief, Tommy Delago, is equally as excited about testing and starting off the 2007 season with a bang.

"This is a major undertaking for both me and the team," Delago added. "It's my job to make sure we give Bob a safe, fast car that he can drive and win with and it's going to be a lot of hard work but I'm up to the challenge. My goal is to take this team to the next level and be able to compete with the bigger teams and make some noise in the Funny Car class."

Since Gilby is sort of a home town.. way out of town but still in NC..lol..... i am realy hoping he does well this season.......

Billy

I know this should be posted on the IHRA side of NitroMater, but figured most fans would miss this unless they check on the IHRA forum regularly, so here is a link to the long (not really) awaited pic of Gilby's special IHRA only body that he will run at all 12 IHRA races this year. Pretty cool. Can't tell what make the body is though? Is it a Dodge Stratus or what? Yeah, I know most of the funny car bodies don't look like anything anyway. ;)

PS: Did I beat you to the punch Jackee?

Now that thing is BAD ASS looking! What a cool paint job.

Looks a little bit like an old camaro and I think I remember something about one of the old Jungle bodies being used for that. One of which I know was a Camaro.

Thanks for the heads up Kurt.

Drew, I think you might be correct about the body being a Camaro, and YES I'm pretty sure one of Gilby's Jungle Jim bodies was a Camaro. I didn't think he would repaint one of those bodies though, but I guess this could be a wrap that could be taken off?? I also wondered if he has a whole 'nuther rolling chassis just for the IHRA races. Maybe the backup to his NHRA car so he gets double duty out of it, although he would be wearing out his spare chassis fast. I guess you have to make use of all your resources when you are a single car team. Still can't believe he is gonna run 35 races this year (23+12) between the NHRA and IHRA schedules. I know he is having a sub drive the NHRA car at 2 of the NHRA races that conflict, but man, that is alot of race weekends. He had to hire a bunch of new crew guys this year based on their website and blog so I guess many on the team last year couldn't hack going through another year like last year, and this year is gonna be even tougher. More power to him, and I hope he can win the IHRA Championship this year. Go Gilby!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back