Gateway Raceway! What a dump!!!!! (1 Viewer)

I think Gateway Is a great track.Out of all the tracks I visit I get treated the best there.Try bringing anything In at Joliet,they won't even let you bring In a can of pop.

your right parking is good "if your a racer and in the staging lanes" We had to move around up and down because the seat were not numbered and for all thoes fans that just show up for nitro qualifing its a mad mess when they come looking for their seats at the last min, hell you miss have of it standing up and down. i was at the first race held their and the parking has not changed if its been this long i know their in no hurry to fix it now. Indy, Joliet, have some of the best parking and seats around if been to indy for 25 years stright and seen all the changes its time for Gateway to spend some money!

Joilet does has some of the best parking...........NAZI's

Madison is a classic track, not a dump. I like it because it reminds me of my local track - Cordova. They give you a great deal on a 3-day ticket package, a gift bag, and access to great parking (if you're smart enough to get there early). Plus, you can bring in pop, water, energy drinks, etc. And if you think this track is a dump - how do you feel about Indy - it's rather old and beaten too.

Comparing Indy to Gateway is like comparing a 57 Chevy to 1990 Cavalier,ones a classic and ones a s_ _ _ _ _ _ _. But its all we got .Besides what's not to like about driving through East St.Louis ?The stock yards rank right up there with Ft.Worth's. The smelter in the back ground makes for lovely background shots.Atleast grass is growing on the lovely western side of the trash dump now .
Hopefully the sheik will buy it and make the first covered drag strip

I think all this complaining about any particular track is a real hoot. The younger folks who attend tracks today have absolutely NO idea how good they have it, as far as ammenities, etc., are concerned.

Ya got to see fuel cars didn't ya? Ya got to see good racin', didn't ya? Ya got to see your hero's, didn't ya?

I remember times at Indy, and many other national event tracks, when it took 3-4 hours to get out, and then they made ya go in the wrong direction, so you lose ANOTHER hour or two.

And don't even think about *****in' about TV coverage today, compared to then...

Never minded the time spent getting in, and parking, or the time getting out, 'cause it was absolutely the best show on earth (at least back then it was...) and it was a very small price to pay to see what you loved.

Quit your bellyachin', be gratefull for what you have, and enjoy tha racin'...

You cry when a track closes that you don't have anywhere to race and then bi+ch about the PARKING at one that's open.......get a life. It's a racetrack that hasn't been bulldozed:rolleyes:

Madison is a classic track, not a dump. I like it because it reminds me of my local track - Cordova. They give you a great deal on a 3-day ticket package, a gift bag, and access to great parking (if you're smart enough to get there early). Plus, you can bring in pop, water, energy drinks, etc. And if you think this track is a dump - how do you feel about Indy - it's rather old and beaten too.

Good point. $99 for a 3 day pass with a few goodies to boot and you can bring in your own drinks -except beer of course. Get a couple of buddies to pile in one car & split the parking. You can't get much closer to the track than at Gateway. About every seat is sniffer's row.
Going to Topeka at the end of the month. Always love going, but I sure plenty of exercise hiking around the place!
I guess i'm a glass half full kind of guy. ;)

I think all this complaining about any particular track is a real hoot. The younger folks who attend tracks today have absolutely NO idea how good they have it, as far as ammenities, etc., are concerned.

Ya got to see fuel cars didn't ya? Ya got to see good racin', didn't ya? Ya got to see your hero's, didn't ya?

I remember times at Indy, and many other national event tracks, when it took 3-4 hours to get out, and then they made ya go in the wrong direction, so you lose ANOTHER hour or two.

And don't even think about *****in' about TV coverage today, compared to then...

Never minded the time spent getting in, and parking, or the time getting out, 'cause it was absolutely the best show on earth (at least back then it was...) and it was a very small price to pay to see what you loved.

And don't forget having to walk 5 miles in the snow to get to the track too Steve....barefoot

:D

• Place to park off the street? Check.
  • Place to sit with a view of the track? Check.
  • Track with a timing system that works? Check.
  • Fast and loud cars? Check.
You're set. For additional points, add:

• More pavement than dirt? Check.
  • People selling food/beer? Check.
  • Plumbing? Check.
Everything else is gravy.

Hey, T, is Gold Key parking available at all NHRA events? I know it's at the Div 4 and 5 National events I have spectated at and raced at, but is it a regular deal at all events?

Oh, and just gotta ask...have the Zizzos ever raced at George Ray's?:D

As far as I know it is. We usually get a Contestant, Gold and one or two Reds.

We haven't raced at George Ray's, but a couple of those UDRA tracks were pretty hairy.

The main problem with Gateway is the parking and the outragous parking fees.

And, the parking is Gateway's fault. If a customer has to pay $20 to park two miles sway or in an area that they can't get out of after the event it is in the tracks best interest to find a solution, whatever that may be.

The only good thing about parking is if you ride a motorcyle. Motorcycle parking is juts behind the specator side bleachers and a mere $10 per bike.

I take it you've never been to Pomona?

Last edited by a moderator:
The main problem with Gateway is the parking and the outragous parking fees.

And, the parking is Gateway's fault. If a customer has to pay $20 to park two miles sway or in an area that they can't get out of after the event it is in the tracks best interest to find a solution, whatever that may be.

The only good thing about parking is if you ride a motorcyle. Motorcycle parking is juts behind the specator side bleachers and a mere $10 per bike.[/QUOTE

I take it you've never been to Pomona?

As a matter of fact I have been. So!

I've been going to Gateway for years, it used to be a cow pasture with asphalt, after they turned the strip around they have continued to make improvements yearly. It is a great place, but the parking still sucks and will always.

I think sometimes the point is being missed. The majority of the members of this forum and myself are going to the races no matter where they are held or how far we have to walk. The problem is that the general public doesn't see it the same why as you and I, they don't remember the Gateway stands falling apart, they don't remember the dirt. All they remember is last year coming back to their car covered in mud or the 2 hours it took them to get out of the oval infield after a day at the races, the great smell of the landfill, and that just might be enough of a reason for them not to come back. Its the causal fan that the track will lose and unfortunately most of the people in the stands are casual fans.

For the record, I ride my bike park in the bike area which is close to Tony's gold key parking only cheaper I believe.

One only has to watch the Old movies like "Funny Car Summer" or "Burnout" to see what Steve is referring too! Orange County was state of the art when built in the Mid 60's, but by today's standards would be a dump! Havving said that NHRA conducted a survey in the mid 80's, and facilities scored very low for most tracks! Which is why tracks like the Motorplex, Houston and Topeka were built! Even those tracks compared to the Bruton Smith tracks are showing their Age!

You should be thankful for what you have. The two large tracks nearest to me, NYIRP and Toronto were both dropped from the IHRA's schedule because they couldn't/wouldn't update to the IHRA's minimum standards, so I imagine Gateway must be a palace in comparison.;)

To the individules complaining about race tracks : It is a simple fix, you have three choices. 1) Purchase the property, change what you do not like. 2) Deal with it and 3) Relocate near a track you like.

I do go to other tracks and do have tickets to them tracks so thanks for the in put i guess i offened some people sorry i hurt your feelings it wont happen again nor will i go out of my way to get back to gateway or tell anyone elas to make it a point to get their. Indy by far is the best if your staying around for 6 days you can park on the west side of the track right across the street and yes it does suck getting out of thier it you are only over for the day but if you are step over to the raceview family campground and wait out the traffic while you drink a few beers with us! Thank you your al invited!!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back