Gainesville....... (1 Viewer)

Hey 'Noise.............You know I'll be there......................

Late................Mitch

the last few years, I say to myself I 'm not going cuz I'm sick of having a crappy track here when there are so many first class tracks around the country. a race like the gators, that rakes in so much money, has so many fans in attendance, with the history it has, deserves to be run at a better track than what we've got.

but hell I always go anyway. don't know why this year will be any different.....:)
I 'm thinking I 'll camp in Alachua and cycle to the track each day.

*update* I take it back. check this out. I 'm sitting on the spectator side this year. what a great idea....

NHRA News: Gainesville Raceway additions, upgrades racing along (1/23/2007)

Last edited:
I'll be there again, 3rd year in a row.

Note: Tickets I had were sold already , thanks

Last edited:
We will be there ready to break in the new stands on the north side. I really hope to make it to a mater meeting.
Every year we end up bringing newbies and I start the host thing and forget the time .

the last few years, I say to myself I 'm not going cuz I'm sick of having a crappy track here when there are so many first class tracks around the country. a race like the gators, that rakes in so much money, has so many fans in attendance, with the history it has, deserves to be run at a better track than what we've got.

but hell I always go anyway. don't know why this year will be any different.....:)

*update* I take it back. check this out. I 'm sitting on the spectator side this year. what a great idea....

Gainesville is a great track,with the right weather! Oh 72,low humidity,overcast,no rain!!!!!

I started going to the Gator's in '02, I've been lucky cause Rain has never been a factor since I started going. I remember back in the 90's I had toyed with the idea of going to G-Ville on a couple of occasions. But I nixed the idea when I looked at the overall cost of going. Just so happens both of those years the Gator's either Rained out, or lost a day or two to weather. However had I had to pay for airfare I'd have to pass. Thank God for SW free tickets!

I'll be there again, 3rd year in a row. I have a sat and sunday reserve ticket I cant use due to wifes circumstances. Interested in selling for a loss if someone needs a single seat. Just pm me.
CYA all there

George/Finman,

Check your PM's. Hope to see you there.

~Kurt

Bob,

It's amazing how much I agree with you about Gainesville. I always thought it was a lame track overall, and other than the history it holds, and the fact that it's the closest NHRA event to me, I would probably go elsewhere if I had the money and time. Unfortunately, the Atlanta/Commerce, GA track is the next closest, and it is even crummier from all that I read, so haven't driven up to a race there. I'm gonna have to check out Valdosta's relatively new track and if I could afford the time, I'd go the weekend before Gainesville since there is a test'n'tune session scheduled there which sounds awesome, at least last year it was, and should be bigger this year. We'll have to see. I too saw the pics on NHRA's site of the new stands and sky boxes at Gainesville for this year, and I think I will have to try out the spectator side (North) stands for a treat. That was a nice upgrade from the rickety old wooden ones they've had there for years. The sky boxes don't impress me and why should they. They are for rich kids and sponsors to enjoy, not for the rank & file. I understand that NHRA plans to invest some more money this coming year and upgrade the rest room facilities and other permanent structures, possibly building a new tower or giving the one there a nice facelift. That would be a good thing, but I can tell you this, it would be tough to even come close to how awesome a track Bristol's Thunder Valley track is. Bruton Smith knows how to build a first class track, and I felt like I was at the Super Bowl of drag racing when I attended that race and track 2 years ago. If only the weather had cooperated. :( Now that the race has been moved to late May, I think it has a better chance at good weather, and still be cool enough to have some good numbers posted. We'll see this year.

I'll agree the facilities not the best, the Men's restroom being the absolute worst! But the Biggest problem I've noticed in recent years has been the heat. I've been to Vegas, Chi-town, Houston, Dallas you name it. If it's over 80 degrees and sunny, the track temps are around 115-120 degrees and the Cars don't run worth a damn!

I'll agree the facilities not the best, the Men's restroom being the absolute worst! But the Biggest problem I've noticed in recent years has been the heat. I've been to Vegas, Chi-town, Houston, Dallas you name it. If it's over 80 degrees and sunny, the track temps are around 115-120 degrees and the Cars don't run worth a damn!

Joe, you HAD to bring that up! Yes, it seems like several years out of the last 5 or so have been very warm, as in the 80's and even high 80's one year and the runs were worthless due to the track temps in the range you mentioned, possibly even higher one year. There was one year when after two rounds of qualiying on Friday, there were only 8-10 cars in the combined Nitro fuel categories that had ET's under 5.00 sec. It was a mega smokefest, and I had brought some newbies with me and they thought all the smoke and aborted runs were COOL. I was bummed cuz I knew better, but did not want to spoil their enthusiasm. If it was 1965 again and all the Top Fuel cars had problem with traction as so many did then, I would have thought the same thing, but when you come to Gainesville to see record runs as it sometimes is known for, 5.00 runs don't float my boat. Lets hope for the conditions that Lynn McCarthy posted:

"Gainesville is a great track,with the right weather! Oh 72, low humidity, overcast, no rain!!!!!"

That would be near mine-shaft conditions at Gainesville, although it could be a little cooler, like in the high 60's and be even better.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back