G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance Race Team goes up against the best in Qatar ADRL (1 Viewer)

TONAWANDA, NEW YORK (March 3, 2011) - The G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance drag racing team was honored recently by Sheikh Khalid Al Thani of Qatar in taking part in an eight-race Arabian Drag Racing League series in the Middle-East nation of Qatar.

Invited to participate with the top teams in the Pro Extreme class, the reigning champions of the PMRA packed up their suitcases and 1968 Firebird for the desert country from their homes in Western New York.

G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance team members Jim Salemi, Mike Stawicki, and Jon Salemi spoke about their experiences during the three-month racing sessions, which involved a cycle of three weeks of racing in Qatar, and then two weeks back home.

The events were sanctioned by the Arabian Drag Racing League, which began operations in 2009 in a variety of doorslammer car classes, including the Pro Extreme class in which the G-Force/MSR entry competed.

Driving essentially the same car that won the 2010 PMRA championship, but geared for eighth-mile competition, team driver Mike Stawicki faced the best in Pro Extreme racing, including J R Todd, Frankie Taylor, Alex Hossler, Von Smith, Joshua Hernandez, Matt Smith, Todd Tutterow, Rickie Smith, Bader Ali, and Ali Aryan. The team qualified for six of the eight races, no small feat considering the competition, and finished eighth in championship point standings.

Stawicki, who has been behind the wheel of doorcars for over 20 years, said the level of racing was the toughest he has seen.

“I really had to get up on the wheel,” he said. “These drivers and tuners are the best in the world. There was no room for mistakes. Every run you made had to be one of your best to be able to compete with these teams.”

The team also was also fortunate and grateful for the time at the track which promoted nothing but racing, and they were able to focus 100 percent on the car and being successful during the races.

A great deal of time was spent prepping the car and trying different combinations during the numerous test laps. The G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance Firebird was able to make a total of 58 runs on the Qatar Racing Club surface.

“We have never been able to focus on the racing aspect like we did there,” said Jim Salemi, who heads up the team. “Previous in our racing careers there would always be something trying to take away time from the car whether it was family or business. It was nice to put these factors behind us while running the car in Qatar. The racing conditions were basically the best we have ever seen on a consistent basis. We were also blessed with unbelievable track preparation on a day to day basis from the Crispe family. Our hats are off to those guys they really worked their tails off.

“We were given unlimited time to test and try different combinations,” he continued. “We now know a whole lot more about running one of these types of cars. Inevitably it will make us much better racers in the near future. You can count on that.”

Unfortunately, the team suffered a serious setback when the crankshaft failed in their first round match up against Matt Smith during Round 7 competition. Luckily Stawicki wasn’t injured and a safely built car allowed Mike to walk away after a huge engine explosion and one of the worst door car fires in history.

“Jim Salemi and his guys at G-Force Race Cars build a great race car,” he said. “That’s why I have exclusively been partners with him since 1987. I was just cruising down the track and shifted into high gear and BOOM all I could see out of the windows were flames. Soon after that I couldn’t see anything as all of the windows in the car turned black as night,” he continued.

“I just knew I had to remain clam to come out of this situation. There were zero flames inside the car until I stopped and opened the door, I just couldn’t see anything and unfortunately it tapped the right wall before coming to a stop. The safety built into the car and the extinguishing system did exactly what it was intended to do, and gave me enough time to get out.”

Although the end result will be a huge financial quest to overcome, the G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance team was pleased it was invited to take part in the 2010-2011 ADRL events in Doha, Qatar. “We realized many essentials to make us a more successful team and to be able to be a top contender at this level of racing.” noted Jon Salemi. “We have always been able to make the most of the budget that we put together as a team and will continue to do so. It may take us a bit of time to be back on the ADRL tour after the accident but when we come back we will be stronger than ever, rest assured.”

The G-Force Race Cars / MSR Performance team is supported or sponsored by the following companies: G-Force Race Cars Inc., MSR Performance LLC, Stawicki Used Cars, LAT Racing Oil, Strange Engineering, Mickey Thompson Tires and Wheels, Ross Pistons, R&R Connecting Rods, Victory 1 Performance, Mastin Engineering, Hot Rods by Burke, Cynergy Composites, Scott Jahren Paint, Dan the Sign Man, Manton Racing Products, Titan Speed, Castle Products, RBS Superchargers and Resolution Racing Services.

Attachments

• clip_image002_409.jpg
    clip_image002_409.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back