Four Wide (4 Viewers)

At the risk of beating a dead horse, am I the only one excited about getting back to the usual 2 wide? Four wide is probably a blast if you're there in person, but it gets old really quickly watching it on TV. I know....if I don't like it don't watch.
How about 2 lanes with 2 cars in each lane? Fremont Drag Strip, 1960's.
back in the day we raced at an auxillery AFB field for awhile when I knew the guy who stayed on site. I think we had atleast a dozen cars lined up there one night. Really sad when that guy got transferred out.

It’s not as rushed, and they get to show viewers more towards the end of sunday. I never thought I’d see open test and tune during a National event, but there it was on the tv. It could’ve been recorded a different day, but it looked like Sunday to me.

I went to the 4 Wide in Charlotte a few years back. It was fine, but I now live within a longish drive from Vegas, and have no interest going there for the 4 Wide - but I have gone to the 2 Wide. There just isn’t enough racing during the day at a 4 Wide. I did like the TV broadcast last week - I recorded it and could watch it in much less time since there are so few races. 3 rounds with half as many races per round goes by fast !

I was wondering how it took so long for the 4 wide haters to jump in. I’m in that group but no sense whining, I just don’t go. Used to do Vegas every year but went to the 2x this time. I agree there’s too little racing, especially after round one. I at least hoped that the format had the top two from the semis race in the final 2x style. At least that would be another round. But I get it.

you can lose twice, then win. it's complicated, difficult for tv, difficult for some drivers, but it's different twice a year, back to back, early in season, and they
seem to draw the fans. i'm ok with them. the triple holeshot by BT3 might end up being one of top 5 runs of the year.

I will always prefer two wide but have to admit 4 wide is growing on me. Have been to each 4 wide at LVMS and once at Charlotte. I'm now comfortable keeping track of who is where and which lanes the win lights belong to. It did give us some amazing races this year with several being decided by thousands. Does eliminate issue of two lane where one smokes the tires and you have a lot of lopsided wins.

I went to last year’s Vegas 4-wide. That was the first time for me.
It will be the last.
But, I will say you’ve haven’t heard thunder until you hear four blown fuel engines go WOT all at once.

I c

I Cant knock it for being there bc i never was,but def boring on tv,to busy i guess
Not so much boring but rather it takes a bit more time to mentally analyze the result of each race. Understandably a 4-wide event generates a lot more TV filler, too, with 3 rounds instead of 4 in the same allotted 3-hour time slot. I'd like to go just once in person but it's 1000+ miles either way from here. Perhaps I can bootstrap it to a Vegas weekend, something else I've never done. Never been to the state of Nevada for that matter.

Not so much boring but rather it takes a bit more time to mentally analyze the result of each race. Understandably a 4-wide event generates a lot more TV filler, too, with 3 rounds instead of 4 in the same allotted 3-hour time slot. I'd like to go just once in person but it's 1000+ miles either way from here. Perhaps I can bootstrap it to a Vegas weekend, something else I've never done. Never been to the state of Nevada for that matter.
Its worth it just for the free air show lol if u like miljets.

I went to Charlotte 4 wide last year. It was a bucket list thing for me. I absolutely loved it! Don't know that I will make another trip but I'm glad I did it..............

Its worth it just for the free air show lol if u like miljets.
Bigtime into them and we get to watch them fly over us often. Mostly T38 trainers which are still badass Mach 1.2 aircraft. We're home to the largest NATO training base in the world. On occasion the big boys show up and show off a little. At 600mph, approximate speed of this F15, its 50,000 pounds of thrust equates to 80,000 horsepower.

Last edited:
I prefer the 2-wide for reasons I have stated on here before. But, I would be more enthused about them if they really moved the needle with attendance at the track, and with the TV ratings for those events. But the 4-wide doesn't seem to do that. Just average attendance and TV ratings as far as I know.

Attendance didn’t look that great in Vegas. I remember thinking that other years as well. Lots of room to spread out in the stands. But LVMS still pisses me off bc they won’t sell you prime seats for a single day ahead of time. So lately I’ve been going Sunday only and selling Fri/Sat potions of the weekend pkg. but I’m done with that. It’s my fav track but crappy policy. Plus, taxis and Uber very unreliable at end of race.

I think they don’t do well because there aren’t many cities within drive distance like some tracks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back