Fireworks for Erbacher at Houston (1 Viewer)

About 10 years ago Cruz had a boomer at Pomona. A chunk of windshield hit the seat next to us in the stands at 1,100 feet.

Cruzer's Interstate batteries car. Me and my Dad were standing at the fence at 1,000 ft and it went BOOM right in front of us. You knew something bad was about to happen because the air pressure changed the split second before it blew up ... it made my ear drums flutter ... then the concussion from the explosion felt like it hit me right in the middle of the chest .... everybody leaned back from the fence and the crowd made one of those "Oh!" sounds that you only hear on such occasions ... never will forget it.

Chris, Are you sure it wasn't the McDonalds car? Most of the body then came back and landed on Ray Higleys car.

That's the only one I can think of that Cruz had in that Era at Pomona.

Last edited:
Chris, Are you sure it wasn't the McDonalds car? Most of the body then came back and landed on Ray Higleys car.

That's the only one I can think of that Cruz had in that Era at Pomona.

I am positive it was the Interstate Batteries car, and I am positive it was '98 ... I did not live out west while Cruzer had the McDonald's car.

The explosion in question did not separate the body from the car, it launched the burst panel probably 200 feet into the air and sent pieces of the windshield and one of the side windows flying. It broke the body behind the front wheels and folded it up a little, but it stayed on. The freaky thing was the air pressure change before the boom ... and the concussion after it ...

Last edited:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but look at the picture from the side, Isn't It a huge no no to have the drivers head have the ability to come forward out of halo/cages protection?

NHRA does not have a rule on how tight the seatbelts have to be. I run mine in the slightly uncomfortable range, and when they stretch alittle this is what you have. If they were painfully tight his head would not have gone so far. I do jerk on mine just before i stage to tighten them some more. Also sometimes i have hear of seatbelts slipping a little.
Mike

Last edited:
I am positive it was the Interstate Batteries car, and I am positive it was '98 ... I did not live out west while Cruzer had the McDonald's car.

The explosion in question did not separate the body from the car, it launched the burst panel probably 200 feet into the air and sent pieces of the windshield and one of the side windows flying. It broke the body behind the front wheels and folded it up a little, but it stayed on. The freaky thing was the air pressure change before the boom ... and the concussion after it ...

Gotcha. :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back