Exhibition vehicles at NHRA Events (1 Viewer)

NYNitro86

Nitro Member
in Charlotte Danny O'Day runs his wheelstander, in Vegas Ed "The Outlaw" Jones runs his "Jolly Rancher" Wheelstander. I would like to see more exhibition cars at NHRA Events, like Bob Motz's jet truck @ Norwalk for the nationals. Top Fuel Harleys of Dean Comunal and Drums Brancaccio @ E-town. in 2011 they're doing the 60th anny, I wonder which events will get Nostalgia Funny Cars, obviously the west will get them, maybe E-Town or Maple Grove will get Jake Crimmins and Rocky Pirrone's Screamin Eagle if not the Boninfante cars if they aren't sold.

I miss those days when exhibition cars were available at national events.

I remember back in the day they would run some wheel standers between rounds or just before the finals and then finish up with a couple of rocket/jet cars to end things. I miss those days....

I would like to see the exhibition cars back at more national events too.

I like the letter. Its funny at Indy those guys on the mic kept talking about giving shirts away. I think they gave a few away to people who did their games. Meanwhile when I was at a race in Marion, OH earlier this summer, after the nastalgia cars made their passes I saw them toss more shirts and frisbees out of the chase truck then the Full throttle guys do in an entire weekend.

well said james I agree, plus, i know it's hard with Seattle because of the lack of lighting, but bring back Sat night qualifying as well, it would then be ok for ESPN2 to show it later because now the TV Window is farther away and the video can make it, or better yet, Live Qualifying like back in the 90s on ESPN when McClelland was in the booth and Reinhart and Stephens were out and about during the broadcast.

I remember when there were jet cars to wrap up a day's action, in 1997 & 1998 they had Jim Neilson's jet limo make a run to wrap up friday night action at E-town and the Hanna Racing Jet Funny Cars on Sunday after the finals.

I like the old cars... the wheelstanders and jets are cool. But not durring raceing at national events. Jets make a mess of the track surface. The old funnys have a 50% chance of a oildown. It is a race FIRST. There is never enough time. Race cars running too late on old tracks ect. Not safe!
If you try to put all the "fun" stuff in the middle of a race, you end up with IHRA's new format that is makeing racers leave right and left.

can remember at least one year bob frey was in stands with wireless mic,
asking fans ridiculously easy questions (think he had food/drink coupons for winners)anyways, one guy was smoking marlboro's; bob made some sort of deal with him if he missed the question bob got his smokes - the guy missed the question, bob took his marlboros, dropped them on stairs and smooshed them with his foot and said something like 'we don't like that brand around here'.

this was in 90's; was still winston drag racing and this 'down time' was as
entertaining as i've ever witnessed

3 years ago in Brainerd they had a Lucas Oil stunt plane flying behind the stands (over the lake) during qualifying. I think it ran at a seemingly random time and even bit into the nitro session. It was totally awesome and I hoped to see it every year.. haven't seen it since, although this year I think it did a single flyby over the pits.

Id love to see some jet cars make a pass, but then they would only be able to run during "no other cars are there to run" time. The dudes with the cannon are somewhat lame, but if I don't want to watch them I just ignore them.

Having a stunt plane on hand that could takeoff during oildowns would be awesome, but probably impossible.

One of the coolest things I see at the race is when the medical helicopter makes a flyby at high speed right above the track when it arrives in the morning, and departing in the evening. A low high speed jet flyover at the national anthem just before they fire would be memorable.

Maybe its just me but they jets do nothing for me, I'd rather see more fc and tf than exhibition stuff.

3 years ago in Brainerd they had a Lucas Oil stunt plane flying behind the stands (over the lake) during qualifying. I think it ran at a seemingly random time and even bit into the nitro session. It was totally awesome and I hoped to see it every year.. haven't seen it since, although this year I think it did a single flyby over the pits.

Id love to see some jet cars make a pass, but then they would only be able to run during "no other cars are there to run" time. The dudes with the cannon are somewhat lame, but if I don't want to watch them I just ignore them.

Having a stunt plane on hand that could takeoff during oildowns would be awesome, but probably impossible.

One of the coolest things I see at the race is when the medical helicopter makes a flyby at high speed right above the track when it arrives in the morning, and departing in the evening. A low high speed jet flyover at the national anthem just before they fire would be memorable.

I remember that plane. I remember a mixed reaction from the the other fans. Our seats were in the pit side stands, so the plane was behind us. If you wanted to watch it, you had to turn around to see it, taking your attention away from what was going on on the track. Some thought that the buzzing that was going on behind us was a nuisance. Others seemed to enjoy it. To "have it handy" for oildowns, the landing strip would have to be reasonably close by, and the pilot would have to have the preflight completed and be close by in case the call came to take off.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some racers actually think the track is actually in better shape after the jet cars run because they tend to blow all the crap off of the surface. That was a while ago though.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back