Even In L.a. Nascar Gets Top Billing (1 Viewer)

TOOLMAN

Nitro Member
Checkout article wrote by Jim Peltz with L.A. Times on 2/8/2008. Article is about racing leading into this weekend in L.A.,talked about Daytona and NASCAR then towards end of article three small paragraphs about Pomona.
Pretty sad, hometown paper doesn't have much to say about NHRA
:(

I'm from the area, and my experience is that it's not so much the LA Market, as it is that the LA Times sucks as far as their motorsports coverage, especially drag racing.

I'm from the area, and my experience is that it's not so much the LA Market, as it is that the LA Times sucks as far as their motorsports coverage, especially drag racing.

That's odd... I always thought Shav Glick used to do a pretty good job for a few years (!!!;)) covering that market for the Times....

Same can be said for my area as we're in a hotbed of dirt tracks & the local newspaper is just minutes from 1 of the top 1/2 mile sprintcar joints (Williams Grove speedway) in the country. They rarely ever give any prop's or coverage to the sport. My opinion is that auto racing (less the France circus) isn't socially acceptable amongst the media outlets & the only reason "SNOOZECAR" gets the attention, is because of it being so mainstream.

I can tell you that I have seen commercials during the prime time news on channel 7 (4pm - 7pm) for the races in Pomona.

That's odd... I always thought Shav Glick used to do a pretty good job for a few years (!!!;)) covering that market for the Times....

It was, but now that he is gone, it has reverted to the way it had been for years; and with the new owners, I do not see it getting any better.

No more Shav...NO MORE TIMES!!! He, Louie Brewster, Damian Dottore and a couple of others are the only reason that NHRA gets ANY coverage in the local papers. The racing beat is not exactly the most coveted spot in the sports department and between the long hours and editors that don 't understand the racing it can be hell!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back