Dragster Brake Hose Routing Question (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Last night, we're pretty sure our master cylinder gave up the ghost... Great burnout on the 4th pass of the night, and the pedal went right to the bulkhead...

So, I'll be replacing the unit this week, but I'd like to re-route the hose 90 degrees to the outboard so that I can remount the pedal to a more vertical position- we just recently made a pedal move (kid's growing like a weed..), and we're pretty much maxed out for the master cylinder position inside the footbox. With the current angle, the pedal has tendancy to hyperextend over zero when Emmett gets on the pedal hard for staging (although it returned to position normally until yesterday).

BrakePedalMay094.jpg

BrakePedalMay093.jpg

BrakePedalMay092.jpg

BrakePedalMay091.jpg

Trying to keep the master cylinder inside the footbox because I don't have enough time to fabricate new mounting brackets forward of the footbox before the next event...
Any issues with putting 90 degree fittings on these kind of Master Cylinders that you folks know about? As you can see by the photos, the pedal mounting bolt conflicts with the straight fittings on there now, and since I will have it out anyway...

Mods- didn't we used to have a Technical Forum somewhere?

Last edited:
Last night, we're pretty sure our master cylinder gave up the ghost... Great burnout on the 4th pass of the night, and the pedal went right to the bulkhead...

So, I'll be replacing the unit this week, but I'd like to re-route the hose 90 degrees to the outboard so that I can remount the pedal to a more vertical position- we just recently made a pedal move (kid's growing like a weed..), and we're pretty much maxed out for the master cylinder position inside the footbox. With the current angle, the pedal has tendancy to hyperextend over zero when Emmett gets on the pedal hard for staging (although it returned to position normally until yesterday).

BrakePedalMay094.jpg

BrakePedalMay093.jpg

BrakePedalMay092.jpg

BrakePedalMay091.jpg

Trying to keep the master cylinder inside the footbox because I don't have enough time to fabricate new mounting brackets forward of the footbox before the next event...
Any issues with putting 90 degree fittings on these kind of Master Cylinders that you folks know about? As you can see by the photos, the pedal mounting bolt conflicts with the straight fittings on there now, and since I will have it out anyway...

Mods- didn't we used to have a Technical Forum somewhere?

Hi Martin--just a thought here--the only problem with 90 degree fittings is they are usually more restrictive than their straight counterparts, but with the fluid volume in question here, I doubt that would be an issue. Just my two cents worth...

In my last dragster the outlet of my master cylinder faced with the outlet towards the front. I ran a 90 straight off the master cylinder and then the steel brake line that connected to it ran about 4" before having to make another 90 so it could run on the frame rail and I never had an issue.

Thanks for the advice, pictures (RG), suggestions and phone calls everyone... Best bit of advice was CALL THE MANUFACTURER....:D

I'll know tomorrow if there are any issues, as my concern was having the turn immediately off of the box....

Hey Glen- any pics of that reversed unit you can send/ post? Sounds good, but I'd have to fab up a new mount to get the plunger shaft much higher, and the fabricators at Wild West Engineering probably won't want to be diddling with a "little" car on his birthday!! :D

I've built some dirt car chassis-but no means a pro-my 1st thought is the link is mounting in single shear on both ends-is that kosher? I'd worry as much about some deflection losing travel as having a 90* fitting.

I've built some dirt car chassis-but no means a pro-my 1st thought is the link is mounting in single shear on both ends-is that kosher? I'd worry as much about some deflection losing travel as having a 90* fitting.

Although I've personally had no issues with this piece, I've already planned on changing that out on the new unit- good eye Mr. Baumann :)

Just a suggestion: You may want to look at the verticle link. I would replace the cotter pins with bolts. The link may be rotating under load and causing some loss of peddle. Also, the master cylinder rod is not being actuated correctly. It appears that the rod is raised somewhat. We had this problem with our car and we were replacing seals every season.

Mods... What happened to Page 2 of this thread?? :confused:

EDIT:
Hey guys and gals we "Hydrolocked" the server pretty bad over the weekend.

Looks like we are back up and running at 100% but we did did lose some data.

Thanks for being patient.

Jerrod

Oh....:p

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back