Drag Racing & 9-11 (1 Viewer)

9-11 will be a day all of us who lived it will Never forget. It's to bad there are Politicians who blame America for 9-11.

I know exactly where I was..for 9-11 and JF Kennedy.

Those are the 2 events in my life that just freeze in time.

Where were you when you heard the news?

I'm sure every member here can remember exactly where and what they were doing when they heard the news.

It was a beautiful, clear day that Tuesday, and I was in my office and I can remember how blue the sky was.

I found out about the attacks through a phone call from a friend of mine who used to work here, who now lives in Alabama. She asked me if I heard the news. Since she is known for joking around, I laughingly said, WHAT news and chuckled. Her voice was quivering when she said, 'a plane hit the World Trade Center.' I knew she wasn't kidding around.

The first thought in my head was that a small, private plane had hit. She didn't know any more then that a plane hit... before we were finished speaking, I could hear one phone after another ringing and people answering, and looks of disbelief and confusion come over the other associates faces. We have an 'open office' environment here, there are no private offices... just desks arraigned according to department. You can see all the way to the back of the building. People were taking calls, some stood up, and were pacing back and forth with the news. Nearly everyone had gotten 'the call'.

After the phone calls, I remember people congregating in groups all over the office. By this time the news channels were carrying the story. A lot of us went down to the cafeteria to watch it on TV. We saw the other plane hit, and we knew it wasn't a small private plane. I'm not sure if anyone understood at that time, that these were deliberate attacks.

As the day unfolded, we heard about the Pentagon and Flight 93 in Pennsylvania. Our P&O dept called us all downstairs to the cafeteria for a meeting. The manager gave us the news she'd been given. She could hardly speak. We were told we could all leave and go home to be with our families. I stayed until about 11:30 that night getting the news and communicating with friends from all over. I knew our world had changed.

I'd grown up in Ramsey, NJ, just about 25 miles from NYC. When you reach the top of the hill on RT 17 just past Lake St. in Ramsey, you can see the entire NYC skyline. You could see the twin towers. By this time, I'd seen all of the videos of the crashes, the towers burning, and then falling,over and over and over again. On the Friday after the attacks, I drove back to Ramsey and got on 17 and parked at the top of the hill. I wanted to see if they were really gone. They were.

Where were the rest of you when you got the news?

Last edited:
I was home getting the kids ready for school. Had CNN on as was my usual custom in the morning. Was watching the coverage of what was thought to be an accident when the second plane hit.

Like all of us, I'll always remember that day and what I was doing just as I do for the assassinations of JFK, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and the crash of the Challenger.

I was at work when the news hit. Stunning as we just sat there in disbelief... I am also old enough to remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I learned of JFKs death.

Both events have changed my life...................

jim

I was on an extended job assignment based in Columbia SC but had been home for the weekend in Oklahoma. I was scheduled to fly back to SC that afternoon. When I woke up that morning I jumped in the my rental car du jour and headed off to pick up some breakfast. I had my radio tuned to the local sports station and as I was sitting in the drive-thru waiting for my order the DJ mentioned something about a plane striking one of the WTC towers. I returned home, turned on the TV and saw plane #2 fly into the other tower. I was absolutley mortified.

The whole affair left me with the exact same sunken feeling that struck me and a great many Oklahomans (and Americans) upon hearing about the Murrah Federal Building bombing In Oklahoma City in 1995. I knew a great number of people that were affected directly by that tragedy and find myself overwhelmed each time I take a first-time visitor to the Memorial site. If not for a cancelled bankruptcy hearing that I was to attend to secure some property from a bankrupt client, I would've been about 100 yards away from that disaster. In the case of 9/11, if I had booked my customary early flights back to SC, I would've ended up stranded somewhere between Dallas TX and Greenville SC. In both these cases I've been unbelievably lucky and am thankful for it.

It's difficult for me to understand how people could actually do this type of thing, but it has been made clear that these extremists will stop at nothing in order to carry out their desire to destroy our way of life by whatever means necessary. God bless those that were killed by these tragedies, their families, and especially all those that are engaged in the daily pursuit of our safety and the destruction of those who seek to do us harm.

Last edited:
I had just gotten off working a 12-hour shift at the hospital. I had to go back to work that night. I had the TV turned on before going to sleep. Nonetheless, I did not get to sleep. I was stunned. What's equally appalling to Joe's comment is politicians using the politics of fear and exploiting 9-11 for political gain which we are going to see on this day. We should not be doing that. We should be remembering those who died. We should also honor our armed forces and the amazing work that they do.

To clarify my point. What I mean to say is it is appalling for politicians to blame America for 9-11 as well as those politicians who exploit 9-11 to get elected.

I 'm with Mike Ashley . Look forward. I 'm not watching any of the movies, and I 'm not reading the story on complus. it was a black eye for this country. couldn't have said it better.
people say never forget 9/11. no kidding . how could you. but i'm not interested in reliving it.

The college I teach at lost seven of our grads on that day-their names are on the front of my comp car. We won comp yesterday at Etown and had a lot of breaks go our way-maybe it was coincidence or maybe we had seven extra crew members helping us out-you decide-in any event we dedicate our win to their memory.

Professor Dave

it was a erie feeling flying home today from epping on the 5th annvs of 9-11 . they had a moment of silence in the airport at the exact time first plane hit. god bless america.

A good friend of mine is a camera man for NFL Football and they were in NY for the Jets on Sunday and stayed across the street from the Towers. They flew out that night for the Monday game in Denver and when the left the hotel he stopped the crew and said "Say goodbye to the twins". Needless to say he was horrified to hear the news on 9/11

It was on a day I had off, after I graduated high school. I slept late and my friend called and left a messege and said, "my cell is down because of the world trade center bombing..."

I said, "What bombing?" So I turn on the TV and I was watching the news that a plane had hit one of the towers. I thought it had to be an unfortunate accident, but not when the 2nd plane hit. I knew it was a terrorist act right then and there.

I was at work that day. I worked overnights in a supermarket at the time. I remember one employee who was sent to pick up soething at another store came running in full speed saying something about a plane hitting the WTC on the radio. I thought, this must be some stupid joke. Then someone else said that another plane hit the other tower. What is this, craziness? Can't be. Then the muzak stopped on the PA and switched to CNN news, saying about the towers, and then the Pentagon. By then, many people were getting cell calls from loved ones, and they were freaking! I live in Orange Cty NY, and many families commute to NYC for their jobs. I then remember going into our produce room with 3 other guys, and the radio was talking about all these planes crashing, and how the NTSA didn't know how many were hijacked, etc. We all just looked at each other and were like "we are totally f'd". I'll also never forget the poor souls who were helping out at Ground Zero, returning home upstate, coming into my store at all hours, covered in soot, grime, and God knows what else. Those were the heroes of the day. In a personal note, my Grandpa worked to build the Towers back in the day, he was a steel worker. He witnessed the fall of the towers from a parking garage in Hackensack, after his chemo treatment. He's passed on now, but I still remember his sentiments. He looked at me with tears choked back and said it was as though the bastards drove the plane through his own heart. And I agree with him.

I just now saw this thread. Like Tom I was supposed to fly later that afternoon. That seems SO weird now. I was in Chicago for a trade show. Actually staying with friends over the border into Wisconsin. I had joked that they better not wake me up in the morning as I had been leaving real early for the show everyday. My buddy woke me up right after the first plane hit and we watched it all unfold on TV that day. I returned my rental car and went back to his house because I had no idea how long I would be stranded. I ended up on the very first flight out of Chicago. It was full of pilots and flight attendants that had been stranded too. Once we took off everyone applauded.

I just still remember how good I felt when our plane finally landed in San Francisco. There was just no way to relax on that filght.

I don't think those that were affected will ever be forgotten in this country!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back