Drag Boats on CBS (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
Stumbled on some nitro drag boat racing on CBS this afternoon. Commentary by Alan Reinhart. Nicely put together, reminded me of when occasionally they'd show the NHRA on wide world of sports or something like that.

Wondering if it was possible for NHRA to put a race on CBS. I realize it couldn't be live, and ESPN has all the live coverage.. but just to expose the sport to a wider audience put an hour long tape delayed race on produced similar to what I was watching today with the drag boats.

Or if that's totally impossible with ESPN holding complete broadcasting rights.

Stumbled on some nitro drag boat racing on CBS this afternoon. Commentary by Alan Reinhart. Nicely put together, reminded me of when occasionally they'd show the NHRA on wide world of sports or something like that.

Wondering if it was possible for NHRA to put a race on CBS. I realize it couldn't be live, and ESPN has all the live coverage.. but just to expose the sport to a wider audience put an hour long tape delayed race on produced similar to what I was watching today with the drag boats.

First off, I could not tell you what channels ABC, CBS, or NBC are on, so you would lose me as a viewer, heck, not even sure which channel is FOX.... never go south of 20.... Think ESPN is 12, but I have to ask the k'dubs if we get moved to 'The Mother Ship'... don't watch TV much, if I do it's ESPN2, Speed, and all the different flavors of discovery... stuff like deadliest catch, world dumbest, ice road truckers, ect.... Sorry, but I Like It Where It Is.:D

d'kid

That Lucas facility is an awesome place, and Alan did an awesome job. Wow, was that a wierd nitro final with one boat nose diving off the line straight down under water, and then the other running all the way to the other end on to the beach. The three bikini trophy girls wasn't bad either.:)

That Lucas facility is an awesome place, and Alan did an awesome job. Wow, was that a wierd nitro final with one boat nose diving off the line straight down under water, and then the other running all the way to the other end on to the beach. The three bikini trophy girls wasn't bad either.:)

We use to be the Drag Boat Racing Capital of the Country at one time.
Racing was everywhere here in Cali. Seems like nearly all of it moved back East.
A bunch of Drag Boat Racers turned NHRA Tuners and Drivers...
Norm Grimes, Rick Jackson, Jerry Toliver, Eddie Hill, Dexter Tuttle, Famous Amos Satterlee...Help me.....I know I'm forgetting some.

Gary Gabelich (though he seemed to drive everything), Dan Olsen, Don Prudhomme attempted it but crashed. Jack Ostrander was another.

Drag Boats are awesome, was drag boat racing ever as big as its land based cousin?

satterlee is still is the boat deal. He tuned the runner-up (the one that sank) on the show. Does he tune in drag racing right now. (maybe an NFC)

Dean

Wonder what it cost to put the show on CBS. I watched it up here on CBS as well (KIRO out of Seattle).
they probably had to guarantee the advertising dollars for it.

The nose diving boat in the final, yeah I never would have thought it could do that. Wonder how far it would have dove if it didn't hit the mud.

If there were a drag boat facility around here I would check it out... a nitro engine is a nitro engine, same as the alcohol engines.. I would think they would sound just as cool on water as their land cousins.

That brings me back to the original idea behind my post. I have a little bit more interest in the sport now then I did before today. Maybe running an NHRA race on ABC in that odd time slot would catch the eye of a few viewers that aren't watching ESPN.

When I lived in Scottsdale, I finally got to see the drag boats at Firebird. And they are wild! Believe it or not, my only complaint was downtime, which I never thought would be an issue, because there's no track surface to destroy. But, sometimes you have to wait for the water to calm, and if a boat breaks, it seemed to take a long time to move them off the course. But still, a lot of fun. The roostertails are awesome! And, girls in bikinis is a big part of drag boat events. Which is also awesome, if ya' like that sort of thing...:D

I have never been to a drag boat event, but have been to plenty of boat races and hydroplane events. Boat racing is not for the impatient, there is alot of down time, the experiance is being there and taking everything in. The kind of thing you make a day of, just setup your seat and relax.

Racing was everywhere here in Cali. Seems like nearly all of it moved back East.
Norm Grimes, Rick Jackson, Jerry Toliver, Eddie Hill, Dexter Tuttle, Famous Amos Satterlee...Help me.....I know I'm forgetting some.
I watched Toliver win at Long Beach, and then crash at Puddingstone.

Oh hell yes. I just love water. Now, I've only been to 2 races, one at Waco Texas and as a kid back in Michigan but it's a great time, especially when the weather is nice. I think I would like the more casual, annual "river" races instead of the Phoenix layout.... but I've never been to Phoenix. Always love hanging out in the staging lanes, watching them slide off the trailers, then the nitro boats' rush to get them back on the trailers. I wish there were races closer to where I live.

Tim Capaldi, Rod Alexander, Richard Shavers, The Mission boat guy Jimmy??? Kebin Kinsley, Kenny Sayers!

Eddie "The Thrill"........

I used 5o go all the time to Marble Falls, but the down time between runs got to be way too much.

I remember Cliff Bingham from back in the 90s. And a feature on TNN's Exciting World of Speed and Beauty with Dallas Raines.

If it happend with the TV contract the way it is now it could be on ABC but not CBS. ABC and ESPN and under the same umbrella. Years ago the TV contract was split and about 3 races a year would show up on tape delay on network TV. I think the last couple years they did it that way they were show on NBC.

Went to a couple IHBA races (Lake Castaic) back in the `90s, when we lived in Ventura. I remember seeing Capaldi in both the boats and in TAD at Pomona. Clinton Anderson was top gun before his accident. Pretty crazy and dangerous sport! Never quite got into like I did NHRA.

I stopped going to the boat races right after Tim Capaldi was killed. That shook up a lot of people.

Now-a-days we have several former boat racers with us in the nostalgia scene. Many say they quit because the travel was taking up too much time. But you can tell they'd jump back in it if they could.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back