Don 'the Snake' Prudhomme Day (1 Viewer)

Bubba

Nitro Member
My all-time favourite drag racer, Don 'the Snake' Prudhomme, had NHRA competition number 712 for the entirety of his career. Because of that, I have declared today, July 12th to be Don 'the Snake' Prudhomme Day! #nhra #LivingLegend #CoolestCatEver
36978784_10155275427152132_5458760045732823040_n.jpg

army_cuda.jpg

For sure, in the top 2 or 3 greatest (maybe #1) drag racing photo's of all time. It's May of 1971 at Seattle and it's
the Northwest National Open. My older sister and I (I was 12 years old) are standing next to the fence at the finish line
and "The Snake" decides to catch fire and fly his Plymonth Cuda body flopper in the final (he won too).
My friend from Prince George, British Columbia, Canada (he was 14) Al Kean took this fantastic photo great!
See you next weekend Al.

1720799500379.png

Last edited:
I shot these two pictures at the 1972 National Challenge in Tulsa.
In 2015, the Tulsa track celebrated 50 years in existence. Prudhomme and McEwen were brought in as part of the celebration.
I had the pictures enlarged and, since we were running the Invader that weekend, I took the pictures so I could get them autographed. Prudhomme liked the picture of his car, so he took a couple of pictures with his phone, then immediately emailed them to somebody.
I made the frame from a large hickory tree I had cut down.
Hobby Lobby made the custom mat.
Snake-Mongoose.jpeg

For sure, in the top 2 or 3 greatest (maybe #1) drag racing photo's of all time. It's May of 1971 at Seattle and it's
the Northwest National Open. My older sister and I (I was 12 years old) are standing next to fence at the finish line
and "The Snake" decides to catch fire and fly his Plymonth Cuda body flopper in the final (he won too).
My friend from Prince George, British Columbia, Canada (he was 14) Al Kean took this fantastic photo great!
See you next weekend Al.

View attachment 14707
I know I've said it before, but that is still one of the most amazing drag racing photos ever taken.

A few photos above, with Snake in the firesuit. That looks like San Fernando drag strip, and the car is the Hawaiian. Who is the man on the far right?

Yes, it is Wes Cerny.
Thank's Roger, I was pretty sure that was Wes in that great photo and you have to dig the pie crust slicks.
And of course, Wes would go on and tune my all time favorite rear engine Top Fuel car.
The Walton-Cerny & Moody fuel dragster, that I saw at least 3 times in Seattle and once at Lion's at the
Div 7 race in July, 1972

1720879426957.png

Last edited:
Yes, it is Wes Cerny.

That is not Wes Cerny. See page 62 of the Snake's book "My Life Beyond the 1320". It is a guy named Wes Hanson, who according to the caption was a friend of Keith Black's who helped out on Roland's fueler from time to time.

the Northwest National Open. My older sister and I (I was 12 years old) are standing next to the fence at the finish line
See you next weekend Al.

View attachment 14707
Decides?

That is not Wes Cerny. See page 62 of the Snake's book "My Life Beyond the 1320". It is a guy named Wes Hanson, who according to the caption was a friend of Keith Black's who helped out on Roland's fueler from time to time.
👍 Wes Hansen crewed on the Greer - Black - Prudomme car

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back