Does Anyone Know How This Sponsorship Deal Works? (1 Viewer)

Jay! That hasn't worked real well for me!:D

Richard:

In this sport, it seems that NO MATTER WHO IS TRYING TO GET THE SPONSOR.(DRIVER, TEAM, OWNER)...It is all about Showing the "SPONSOR" an R.O.I. (return on investment). For some, it's easier to sell the PRODUCT...(THE CAR..THE TEAM...The ADVERTISING..AND THE SHOW). For others, the PERSONALITY OF THE DRIVER is what can sell the ROI. For Example. The US ARMY would most likely not be in Drag Racing or with DSR if not for the fact that Tony Schumacher is a very Articulate Public Speaker. This helps the Army in Recruitment, when the driver of the US ARMY TOP FUEL DRAGSTER can speak to a group of 18 year olds and not only speak their (LANGUAGE), but also communicate to a group of Managers of a multi-Billion $ Company, and talk to them about how their investment is helping the team, and how that team is helping the Sponsor sell their product. There are not too many people who can do this. IT takes an understanding of the Company, their mission statement, and reasons for sponsoring your team. Most importanly it takes a person who can Articulate this intellegently to those who pay you to do what you love!

When you figure out the secret to getting a sponsorship..please let me know! I'm finding out that even with the most engaging personality, great attitude, charisma, great communication skills, and talent, you need a product as well to go with it! Or, in laymans terms..YOU HAVE THE GUN...BUT NEED THE AMMO!!!

Ted reminds me of a funny experience I had with UPS. We all know how involved UPS is today with both the NHRA and Nascar. Well about 15 years ago I was doing some work for a guy and we approached UPS. After a brief conversation with them, we were asked to, and sent them some additional information. It didn’t take them more then a week to respond. I can’t remember the letter word for word, but it basically informed us that UPS had a highway safety record that was second to known, and that participating in such an activity could be devastating to their image and would create a public relations nightmare. I think about that letter and get a chuckle every time I see Bob Vandergriff strap into his Top Fuel car.

If you are looking to learn more about sponsorship and how it is put together, Ernie Saxton will be presenting a seminar next month in Pomona. Ernie is the gentleman that formerly penned the Sponsorship Marketing column in National Dragster.

Last edited:
Most bigger companies that have been around a while....do advertising and sponsorships.... based on impression costs..... impression = logo viewed... they have a cost on what they are willing to pay...

if you can ever figure out what amount they set... and can offer them something that is cost wise per impression, cheaper.. you will have their attention... and depending on how well you sell your self.. you might just get in the door...

if i remember correctly.. Budweiser.. in the late 80's was at a .35 cent per impression was a good return to them... in the mid 90's it went to around
.20 cent.....per impression....i would bet what ever the set rate is now... was part of them leaving NASCAR with the Busch Series...

three stages of advertising are.. Brand introduction...Brand awareness... and Brand loyalty... the first two are kind of close.... but are derived from how long a brand has been in the marketplace.... and from the first stage to the second to the third stage. the amount they are willing to pay for a ROI goes down... profits are set and the goal is to increase with the least amount of pay out.... the longer they are out in the market.....

the only time they are usualy open to spending more than usual is if they loose a foot hold in their market.... weither its a new competitor.. or loss of sales to an existing competitor... the harder the fall in their market .. the more reseptive they are to advertising/sponsorships...

Billy

Most bigger companies that have been around a while....do advertising and sponsorships.... based on impression costs..... impression = logo viewed... they have a cost on what they are willing to pay...

if you can ever figure out what amount they set... and can offer them something that is cost wise per impression, cheaper.. you will have their attention... and depending on how well you sell your self.. you might just get in the door...

if i remember correctly.. Budweiser.. in the late 80's was at a .35 cent per impression was a good return to them... in the mid 90's it went to around
.20 cent.....per impression....i would bet what ever the set rate is now... was part of them leaving NASCAR with the Busch Series...

three stages of advertising are.. Brand introduction...Brand awareness... and Brand loyalty... the first two are kind of close.... but are derived from how long a brand has been in the marketplace.... and from the first stage to the second to the third stage. the amount they are willing to pay for a ROI goes down... profits are set and the goal is to increase with the least amount of pay out.... the longer they are out in the market.....

the only time they are usualy open to spending more than usual is if they loose a foot hold in their market.... weither its a new competitor.. or loss of sales to an existing competitor... the harder the fall in their market .. the more reseptive they are to advertising/sponsorships...

Billy

Impressions are important when you are purchasing media, however demographics of those impressions that corrolate with your target audience are MUCH more important..

Furthermore, impressions are a fairly small part of the equasion in evaluating a sponsorship opportunity. More important are brand loyalty, consumer and business-to-business tie ins, unique promotions, and so on...

When we set the Budweiser/Busch inflateables up at events we always had some one in the tv control trailer while they were testing the camera views... if the spot we were given did get the right amount of air time... we negotiated for a better spot....

Budwieser alway placed high on the impressions and in focus views listed on the Joyce Julis (sp) reports.... they figured the event alone handeled the demograph...lol... of age drinkers...lol

i'm sure each company has their own goals for what is profitable for them....or reaches their needed demograph....

Billy

HEY WHIT HIT ME UP. I still got stuff for you to sign.. A mobil FC from way back. :)
Hey I 've got one of those too.....
I had a mobil card back in 96 and got an offer with a bill. I think it was 40 bucks for us card holders. It's a decent die cast.
doesn't have Whit's name on it though. I 'll have to fix that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back