Does Anyone Know How This Sponsorship Deal Works? (1 Viewer)

NitroRichFire

Nitro Member
After clicking on the link, Drag Racing Online at Tim Charlet's "Rediculously" Silly Season post, and after reading the information at Drag Racing Online. My question is, is it the responsibility of the driver, or the team owner to get the sponsorship?

There is no single answer as it varies by deal. Whomver has the relationship with the sponsor typically manages the relationship. That could typically include a driver, crewmember, team owner, or business associate.

Deals can be contracted professionally or can be as casual as a handshake.

Even at my small time level I have done deals on handshakes, purchase orders, and official contracts. Each deal is different although both sides will usually outline the scope and level or participation. A "good" deal is usually one where the parties involved have something of mutual value instead of simply a budgetary line item in a demographic area of interest.

is it the responsibility of the driver, or the team owner to get the sponsorship?

It works both ways... John Force has really always went out and got his own, or they came to him.. whatever. David Powers went out and got Cat, Snake had Skoal, Miller, Skytel, etc.

Now, take Schumacher-lost a sponsor (Matco) and at the same time there was also a driver out there without a job, but had a sponsor (Fast Jack) Hmm.. car owner with no sponsor but paying a driver..then we have a driver with a sponsor, but no car, sorry Whit. I'm not saying it's that black and white, but I hope you can see my point.

Same holds true for Jeff Arend. CSK was picking up some of the tab for the blue car, but as soon as Jeff came along with some extra funds, Philly B was out in the streets that easy. Not cool, but hey? If you can go from paying out to a driver, to somebody bringing money in, then it's good business. Again, that's not 100% what happened I am sure, but that's how it looks. (Looking back as of right now, getting let go last year was probably one of the biggest favors Phil has gotten in a LONG time)

Last edited:
it seems to be the trend nowadays that if you are a driver with deep pockets, or a sponsor, you can pretty much walk through the pits and pick what ever car you want too. the list of top notch drivers without rides is growing longer, and there are more and more unfamilar faces jumping into the fuel ranks without any fuel experience. sorta like nascar., as i keep saying, money replaces talent

If your a Driver or a Owner and your not looking to put deals together yourself then your STUPID.. Even if I was a Paid driver by the team owner.. I'd still look for extra cash. Maybe it would mean extra money into MY roth ira or say extra tires on the car when I think they need changing when I don't feel safe. The again if I got the extra cash maybe it would mean I get to keep driving longer for the same owner or I could Bring MY money to a better team and all be more happy.

Look at Beckman HIS deal got Whit kicked.. so do you see the value in a driver bringing cash into a team.

Also Team owner like Snake has not figured out HOW to look for added cash till his deals dry up.. Why is this. To me you need to be looking on a weekly basis to add as many associates any time you can. Waiting tell the end of the year is beyond me. People say oh but he had the deal loked up ahead of time.. well how TJ was able to look for a ride for 2 races now.. If I was tj I'd still be looking. He is to nice and marketable to be sitting..

Some how we need to yank Mike not so Dunn out away from Lepage before he kills him. perhaps a good paying drive would do just that. he can allways comment while he is driving.

If your a Driver or a Owner and your not looking to put deals together yourself then your STUPID.. Even if I was a Paid driver by the team owner.. I'd still look for extra cash. Maybe it would mean extra money into MY roth ira or say extra tires on the car when I think they need changing when I don't feel safe. The again if I got the extra cash maybe it would mean I get to keep driving longer for the same owner or I could Bring MY money to a better team and all be more happy.

Look at Beckman HIS deal got Whit kicked.. so do you see the value in a driver bringing cash into a team.

Also Team owner like Snake has not figured out HOW to look for added cash till his deals dry up.. Why is this. To me you need to be looking on a weekly basis to add as many associates any time you can. Waiting tell the end of the year is beyond me. People say oh but he had the deal loked up ahead of time.. well how TJ was able to look for a ride for 2 races now.. If I was tj I'd still be looking. He is to nice and marketable to be sitting..

Some how we need to yank Mike not so Dunn out away from Lepage before he kills him. perhaps a good paying drive would do just that. he can allways comment while he is driving.

Jack did NOT kick Whit from his ride...Matco had already informed Don Schumacher that they were leaving...Jack saw an opportunity and he was able to make a deal with Don...

As for Snake, FYI..he has people working on deals full-time...

Jack did NOT kick Whit from his ride...Matco had already informed Don Schumacher that they were leaving...Jack saw an opportunity and he was able to make a deal with Don...

Lets ask Whit about this.

As for Snake, FYI..he has people working on deals full-time...

whoever the FYI is for... this sure don't seam to be working to well. when you go from a 3 car team to a 1 tf car. and MAYBE back to a fc with TJ.. lol

Proof is in the Nitro sniffing. and DPR is sure not sniffing the GREEN end of the Nitro can.

Don in his day was one of the best.. I just bugs me not to see him with a bigger team.

What most of you dont know was that Jack had approached Don Shumacher about bringing MTS onboard to sponsor a Top Fuel dragster...this had been in the works for a year or so. Jack had NO intention to "steal Bazemore's ride" with bringing money to the table. The decision was made to switch to funny car instead of Top Fuel due to Matco leaving at the end of the year and having the proper equipment and team already in place. Bazemore's contract was up at the end of the season and we dont know what transpired behind closed doors to make Don Shumacher let him go early...Didnt David Powers do the exact same thing? While everyone is blaming Jack, maybe we should look at Whit and ask some questions as to why no team owner wants to work with him.?.

Proof is in the Nitro sniffing. and DPR is sure not sniffing the GREEN end of the Nitro can.

Don in his day was one of the best.. I just bugs me not to see him with a bigger team.

Excuse Me???????
Don Prudhomme happens to be one of the very best of the business men in the sport - akin to John Force. He just happens to not be a complete harlot taking anything and anybody who will bring in any amount while sending letters out to everyone else's sponsor trying to snipe them away under the table offering a better deal.

He's also in this as a business venture rather than for your racing pleasure. He's not running unsponsored cars for the love of the sport awaiting some miracle to come along. That's imprudent business, plain and simple.

I suppose you could say that he's in this for the long haul, seeking long term relationships rather than changing drivers, team members and crew members as often as his underwear. Research NHRA sponsorship history a little and do the math. Very few others are like him. He inks multi-year deals for the betterment of all involved-fans, team members, drivers, support personnel as well as his own balance sheet.

What most of you dont know was that Jack had approached Don Shumacher about bringing MTS onboard to sponsor a Top Fuel dragster...this had been in the works for a year or so. Jack had NO intention to "steal Bazemore's ride" with bringing money to the table. The decision was made to switch to funny car instead of Top Fuel due to Matco leaving at the end of the year and having the proper equipment and team already in place. Bazemore's contract was up at the end of the season and we dont know what transpired behind closed doors to make Don Shumacher let him go early...Didnt David Powers do the exact same thing? While everyone is blaming Jack, maybe we should look at Whit and ask some questions as to why no team owner wants to work with him.?.

HEY WHIT HIT ME UP. I still got stuff for you to sign.. A mobil FC from way back. :)

whoever the FYI is for... this sure don't seam to be working to well. when you go from a 3 car team to a 1 tf car. and MAYBE back to a fc with TJ.. lol

How long did DPR have Skoal? Or Miller?

Read The Doc's post...Snake is one of the few out there doing it proper.

FYI....For Your Information...

I see we have Selective reading ability on this board. I think in the real world we call it selective hearing. Lol

many teams find sponsors and say here are the drivers availible... plus the one we got now... which one do you want to represent you?....

many drivers find sponsors.. and tell them i can get the car from this or that team.. but heres the cost and potential with this or that team..

i have seen drivers take on the sponsors deal and then set the team up to make sure they recieve a decent pay check .. an gaurentee a ride for the full season....

A trend now days in oval with a couple teams is that who ever has the contract with the sponsor..team or driver... they add a clause that states if a driver leaves or a sponsor leaves the current sponsor and driver can not work together for "X" number of years..... this prevents the driver from leaving a team and taking the sponsor to another team or vise versa.....

i would expect that to roll over to drag racing soon if not already... would prevent a driver from quiting and taking a good sponsor for a good team....

Billy

After clicking on the link, Drag Racing Online at Tim Charlet's "Rediculously" Silly Season post, and after reading the information at Drag Racing Online. My question is, is it the responsibility of the driver, or the team owner to get the sponsorship?

You just go online and google to find a list of people with huge amounts of money that want to pay people to race. Then you send them an e-mail with the address to send the check.

That's all there is to it. :D

With the way fuel prices are going up and the way the stock market is bouncing I would say that it will take anybody and everybody on a team to try to bring in sponsor money. NHRA racing will have a harder time getting money because most companies are going to start cutting budgets to keep making a profit. Also if they have sponsor monies to give, in most cases they want maximum exposure and I hate to say but you get a lot more exposure on a NASCAR car then on a NHRA car.

With the way fuel prices are going up and the way the stock market is bouncing I would say that it will take anybody and everybody on a team to try to bring in sponsor money. NHRA racing will have a harder time getting money because most companies are going to start cutting budgets to keep making a profit. Also if they have sponsor monies to give, in most cases they want maximum exposure and I hate to say but you get a lot more exposure on a NASCAR car then on a NHRA car.

Yes, but it is a different type of exposure.

I know a circle track driver and his uniform has a logo of a business on it. The logo on his uniform, about the size of the NHRA patch, cost 80k per year for the logo owner... The logo does not even appear on the vehicle...

I approached this same sponsor a few years back and offered twenty local races, and full day appearances at each of their 30 locations within six hours of my shop, plus informal assistance with their marketing advertising program and they turned me down flat. Additionally they would have full door decals on my vehicle for the season.

They turned me down without even thinking for longer than 30 seconds...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back