Denver Press Release - Millican (1 Viewer)

Record-Breaker, Heartbreaker

Clay Millican Peaks Early on Mountain with Record-Breakin’ E1 Run En Route to Nailbitin’ Semis Loss at Denver

DENVER, July 23, 2018: Like most drivers in the NHRA Mello Yello Series, Parts Plus Top Fuel dragster Clay Millican has often struggled on Denver’s Thunder Mountain, with his car always seemingly “gasping for air” in the mile-high altitude. This weekend in Denver, however, it was the Parts Plus Top Fuel/Great Clips/Strutmasters dragster that took folks’ breath away.
The dragster wasted no time kicking things into quick gear in Sunday’s opening round, powering No. 3 qualifier Millican to a new track-record speed of 327.59 mph in the day’s first stanza, eliminating Greg Carilllo in the process.
Officially, Millican, crew chief Dave Grubnic and the rest of the Parts Plus/Great Clips/Strutmasters Top Fuel team staked their claim to the record and planted their proverbial flag atop the Mountain with a [email protected] mph.
“I’ve always looked at coming to Thunder Mountain as simply surviving—that is, getting out of here with most of your motors intact. Denver is by far the hardest place to tune a racecar for by far,” Millican maintains. “So far us to break the track record here today is cool; but honestly, I’m not too surprised. See, Grubby and the team have put me in position to run really well here the last two years, so we were confident coming into today.”
Following such a quick early run on the Mountain, there’s always a concern: Did the driver peak too soon? (Pun only slightly intended.) Clay wasn’t convincing in dismissing that notion in round 2, dropping cylinders at the midway point, but the Parts Plus/Great Clips/Strutmaster driver managed to get it to hook back up and cruised in for the win light, eliminating Richie Crampton whose car suffered the safe fate early on in E2 but was unable to regain control of his ride.
In what has become tradition of late, the crowd then began buzzing over what is fast evolving into a rivalry between two of the hottest drivers in the sport: No. 1 qualifier Leah Pritchett and No. 3 Millican, who has defeated Leah in the finals to take home two of his three Wallys.
Last year, Grubnic entered the race weekend at Denver with a game plan. Specifically, “Grubby” prepared the Parts Plus/Great Clips/Strutmasters dragster for the Mountain’s high altitude and lack of oxygen by adding more compression and taking away a lot of fuel.
On Sunday, realizing how tight the races have been between Millican and Pritchett over the last two seasons, Grubby knew the Parts Plus/Great Clips/Strutmasters dragster would have to run its best to eliminate Pritchett. And the Parts Plus car did just that—almost.
Lined up in the left lane, Pritchett seized the starting-line advantage before Millican chased her down, and the two Top Fuel drivers battled to the finish from there, running the exact same time of 3.622. However, Pritchett’s superior reaction time enabled her to earn a hole-shot win—a terrible way for Millican to lose on a day that seemed destined to be his momentarily. Officially, Pritchett triumphed by a MOV of 0.0448 seconds (approximately 21 feet). In would be her third finals appearance of the 2018 Mello Yello Series, Pritchett went on to win Sunday’s event on the Mountain, eliminating Doug Kalitta.
“Normally, I’d be thrilled to make it to the semis here on the Mountain, but it sticks with you a little bit when you lose like that because I feel like the team gave me everything I needed to win,” Millican says. “But hey, it was a great weekend overall—and most important, by turning on those win lights, we were able to leapfrog our way back to No. 2 in points, which is big.
"I can’t remember the last time I felt so confident at this point in the year during the Western Swing, so we’re looking forward to getting back out there this weekend in Sonoma and show ‘em what this team is capable of. I’ll say it again: I am so proud of these guys and the hard work they’ve put in; Grubby and the boys sure make my job a lot easier.”

NHRA

TOP FUEL Point Standings

(Following Denver)

1. Steve Torrence, 1,132; 2. Clay Millican, 959; 3. Leah Pritchett, 949; 4. Tony Schumacher, 930; 5. Doug Kalitta, 893; 6. Antron Brown, 750; 7. Terry McMillen, 696; 8. Brittany Force, 658; 9. Richie Crampton, 576; 10. Scott Palmer, 544.

Next Race

July 27–29

Sonoma Nationals

Sonoma, Calif.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back