Danny Degennaro fired by John Force (1 Viewer)

NYBill

Nitro Member
Despite personal assurances by John Force that his position at JFR was secure, John Force fired his assistant crew chief, Danny Degennaro earlier this week. The 16 time NHRA Funny Car Champion, (courtesy of Prock and Degennaro) cited the poor financial climate at JFR as the reason for the dismissal.

Not sure if it is really "financial reasons", but that teams performance has really fallen off since the start of the year. They might sit 2nd in points, but what was a dominate car is now mediocre and inconsistent and only 5 rounds out of 10th. Where are those people who praised JFR for never firing anyone?

Not much here to really talk about until someone comes out with the inside scoop. I'm, sure not going to form any opinions off of what i read on a chat forum. There's enough of that going on here already on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I would assume that all the "news sources" would need John's permission to mention something like this.

Drag racing is going through some major changes right now with the economy, spectators, sponsorship, participants, and also I still think part of the problem is people interests are just changing from what they were just five to ten years ago.

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's every kid wanted to build either a hot rod or a drag racing car. I could ride around my neighborhood and look in the open garage doors at car being built and after riding by the guys open garage door for about the 10th time he would come out and say do you want to see the car!!

I would jump off the bike and go in and for a kid I knew right then and there what I wanted to do. Not sure it quite like that any more in many parts of the country.

Just look at how many top drivers in drag racing find themselves sitting on the side lines because they cannot find a ride or bring a major sponsor with them.

A few months ago in Hot Rod Magazine John Force talked about going back to match racing to help generate revenue for his business. Does this kind of tell you what's going on right now in professional drag racing?

I for one always loved the match racing day's and I could not wait for Sunday's to arrive and as a 13 year old I would beg one of the older guys to let me ride with him to the drag strip.

No wants wants to go racing using their own check book but without major sponsorship for many there is no other way of racing.

I think over the next few years either it's going to get better or much worse then it is today. Only time will tell and I believe the power full people in drag racing are racking their brains trying to figure out what to do to change what they see happening right in front of their eyes.

I for one truly hope the changes coming will be positive for drag racing.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Despite personal assurances by John Force that his position at JFR was secure, John Force fired his assistant crew chief, Danny Degennaro earlier this week. The 16 time NHRA Funny Car Champion, (courtesy of Prock and Degennaro) cited the poor financial climate at JFR as the reason for the dismissal.
I'm a little curious as to where this info came from. Only because there was a different reason given on comp plus in Bobby Bennetts national notebook.

Last edited:
So Lance, should everyone's championships since the beginning read "courtesy of so and so"? I mean, just about every win in racing is a team effort.

After Epping 1st round it's clear that JFR needs to fire Todd Smith as well. Seems like a typical Todd Smith car: great qualifier then tire haze 1st round.

I'm a little curious as to where this info came from. Only because there was a different reason given on comp plus in Bobby Bennetts national notebook.
I am willing to bet it's somewhere in between the 2 reports. Bobby's article basically says nothing happened and John just fired him because he wanted change. You just don't get fired for doing nothing wrong.

I am willing to bet it's somewhere in between the 2 reports. Bobby's article basically says nothing happened and John just fired him because he wanted change. You just don't get fired for doing nothing wrong.
Usually, that is the polite way of saying that said person is not adding anything to... or, working out for their program. I guess we will know for sure if we see someone else added to the team.

you see some folks let go on these teams for unknown reasons; i'd bet a certain % have nothing to do with job performance;
social situations IMO contribute greatly.....not all the time, but some of the time for sure.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back