Courtney Force Ready To Get Sophomore Season Underway At Pomona (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Calif. (February 11, 2013) - With a successful year of full-time Funny Car competition in the books, Courtney Force is now preparing for a follow-up shot at the series and all the excitement of being back in the driver’s seat of her Traxxas Ford Mustang Funny Car.

This week, the 2012 Rookie of the Year will race for points in the first of 24 races in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series at the season-opener; the 53rd annual O'Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals presented by Super Start Batteries.

“I'm so excited to get the 2013 NHRA Mello Yello season started and feel confident in my Traxxas Ford Mustang and team this upcoming season. We tested great and even picked up a career best ET and speed over the winter at Palm Beach International Raceway, so I know we've got a fast race car to battle it out this season,” said Force.

This time last year, there was a bit of uncertainty surrounding the 24-year-old Yorba Linda, Calif. native and many comparisons between Force and her sister, Ashley Force Hood, were drawn. Suspicion quickly ceased when Force dismissed Bob Tasca III in the opening round of her first ever Funny Car race. She also beat her father and legendary Funny Car driver, John Force in a first round match-up the following week in Phoenix, taking her Traxxas Ford Mustang to the semi-finals.

“Last season went better than expected. I knew I had a great car and team with Ron Douglas and Dan Hood as crew chiefs on my car, but having them on board again this year gives me that extra boost of confidence you need as a driver,” said Force.

Last time Force competed at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, she was working on a strong finish for both the Auto Club NHRA World Finals and the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing series point standings. Force took out the likes of Matt Hagan, Tim Wilkerson and Ron Capps, but lost in the final round of eliminations to Cruz Pedregon when the connecting rods in the motor of her Traxxas Ford Mustang broke leading to a dramatic loss of power.

Force finished runner-up of the race and fifth in the championship.

“Looking back it's crazy how far we've come and thinking back to the opening race in my rookie season, so much has changed. Last year we had high hopes of trying to qualify at most, if not every, event and we met that goal. I picked up my first win in Funny Car in Seattle and our team finished 5th in overall standings by the end of the season. I'm so proud of everything we were able to accomplish and although I am still a new driver, I look forward to pushing myself this season to do a better job and learn from any mistakes. I think we've got a great car and team and are capable of a lot this season,” said Force.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back