Couldn't Sleep (1 Viewer)

The Mighty

Nitro Member
Insomnia strikes again...

So after looking through my myspace bulletins I see Evan has posted a sneek preview of the Torco Race Fuels/Ratt 2007 Tour scheme for Clay Millican on Comp Plus here

So I decided to keep myself busy seeing as there was no chance of sleep and see how it would actually look on the car. So I just thought you guys and girls might like to see.

millicanratt1024.jpg

As I was needing some Illustrator practice I re-originated all the logo's from scratch (no cut and paste here!)

Last edited:
Insomnia strikes again...

As I was needing some Illustrator practice I re-originated all the logo's from scratch (no cut and paste here!)
A. Insomnia sux... :D
B. I do not believe logo's starting from a blank screen or (no cut and paste)... :rolleyes:
C. Very nice work Chris... :cool:

B. I do not believe logo's starting from a blank screen or (no cut and paste)... :rolleyes:

A good graphics package will allow you to use an existing image and "re-sample" it. Set layers, create objects as vectors etc.

I am assuming this is what would have been done.

So what does Evan get out of all this- backstage passes??? Hell, if thats the case, I got a couple of fuel cars that need sponsorship, and a few bands that he can come see!! ;)

The RATT guys are kicking in $$$ to be on the car? Get a check first...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
25+ years of airbrushing and technical pens have rotted my brain doing things the old school way... :cool:

I am learning alot about the computer programs available and were to go and get a company logo and distort, "recreate" cut and paste, blah blah blah... Vector this and Gaussian Blur that... I also know nothing can even come close to touching what a semi-skilled puter nerd like me can do... :eek: Maybe I'm just PO'd because I spend weeks doing what it took Chris, one sleepless night... :D

Very nice work Chris...
Now go to sleep... :)

I'm surprised you didn't put the mono on that Chris ;)

Great job as always. See you in a couple of weeks :D

I'm surrounded by Computer Geeks! LOL, actually I wish this sport had more guys like Evan Knoll, he truly is a Diehard Drag racing fan!

Ok Mike,

I shoulda put a monostrut on there in the first place I guess...

millicanrattmono1024.jpg

As for some of the above...

Ray...

I did actually catch myself out on those logo's because one of them wasn't a redo as it was already in my TF template I'm sure you can guess which one, but all the others were all completely re-originated from scratch using the internet for reference only. A lot of the ability to do that from scratch with logo's is just recognising fonts, although some will be converted to curves and edited to achieve the best result. It also helps to try and think like the guy who originally created the logo and try to go through his process, often you can put right his mistakes along the way! Some of the Logo's were remade as Hi-Res raster images in Photoshop as sometimes I find this is just a little more appropriate than Illustrator to some images.

I only use Hi-res or vector images in my renderings as opposed to low-res internet fodder sometimes seen elsewhere, so that the images may be cut from or printed on vinyl if its needed. Also all of the templates I have created for my renderings will print at photo quality up to about 5 feet long or even lifesize onto vinyl with a bit of work in illustrator and contain the appropriate amount of detail, so as such, any logos or paint design need to match the level of detail.

As for doing it the oldskool way, really most of what I do is done in very much an oldskool way except that it happens to be done digitally so that I don't have to repeat the same steps over and over. I used to draw outlines etc by hand when I first started and then scan them before adding shading in Photoshop etc. I pretty much do the same now but just use a WACOM tablet for freehand stuff and airbrushing instead. Its pretty much the same process as the oldskool way just with different tools and you get a better chance at a do-over. I'm really not a computer geek at all, but its just the only way to get the images I need to produce efficiently.

Paul...
I think by "resampling" you're referring to vector software with "trace" type functions. I have always found these to be totally inadequate when you haven't got a good hi-resolution image to start with. Using software to trace anything from a low-resolution raster image (ie off the internet) and trying to get a nice smooth vector image out is nigh-on impossible and even if you get somewhere near, still requires far too much editing of anchor points to make it worthwhile. I actually use Illustrator CS to create vector images and as such have no trace function available to me anyway. Its one of those "you put s**t in, you get s**t out" things as far as I'm concerned.

That looks cool; but RATT has seen it's heyday come & go. They were sure cool back then though. I remember seeing Pulde's car, too. Juan Croucier is in another band now. And didn't one guy die from AIDS? Was it Bobby the drummer or that real big blonde guitar player? Crosby ?? Great music though...

Hey Chris
PO'd was not the right word at all...
Jealous IS!!
I have seen what the digital world brings and have been poo-pooing it to myself, not outloud for years... I'm not getting any younger, and the PS generation is wiping me off the map... :D I think what you and others are doing with this new/old way of design is stunning... I just wish I had started doing digital along time ago... With that being said, everyday the latest and greatest software keeps popping up... I honestly did not mean any disrespect, and hope you did not read it that way... I am just marveled at what Wacom and Photoshop have been able to do for many people who can't draw a straight line, like myself... :D That's what rulers are for... :p

Awesome stuff man, I would really love to see more... :cool: If you saw my stuff, you would know what true insomnia/exhaustion/dedication/stupidly insane is all about... Details-Details-Details... Oh and BTW, we need it yesterday... LMAO & ARGH!! I'm sure that's how you started as well... Damn you!! LOL Big smiles Bro!!

No offense taken Ray don't worry! ;)

And yes don't they always want it yesterday/pay for in in 6 months/get back to you next year!

Chris,

OUTSTANDING!! You can tell you still have the old school sensibility Ray was talking about...Love this-Now I won't be sleeping due to the inspiration

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back