Could NHRA Move To Single Nitro Class With Revolutionary-Design Car? (1 Viewer)

This is not a new idea. There was a lot of talk in the 1970's about merging T/F and F/C. Nothing came of it, but it was an interesting idea. If you wanted to run a hybrid, you could have a 160" wheelbase & front engine design, something like a really narrow F/C. Anyone remember Jr Brogden & the Phony Pony "Mustang"? It was a front engine dragster with a long, really narrow Mustang, but you could actually recognize the front of the car as a Mustang. OK, if it would be a streamlined rear engine car, you better have a longer wheelbase, altho maybe a 200" wheelbase with really long wheelie bars might work. Ask Don Garlits about short rear engine cars. I am quite sure that there would be any number of designs that would work. Maybe both front engine & rear engine. Do like the idea of one Pro class, like Indy Car, etc. Oh, by the way, a funny car really IS a short wheelbase dragster with the driver in front of the rear end. You could say a funny car is a streamlined dragster.

Years ago, I believe Dale Armstrong said he felt the ultimate fuel car would be front engined, I can't remember where I read it but I even remember a sketch. It's not a revolutionary design, the Boggs Bros. had a competitive TAD in the early '90s that was a FC chassis with a long wheelbase. I think Neil & Parks had one too.

Years ago, I believe Dale Armstrong said he felt the ultimate fuel car would be front engined, I can't remember where I read it but I even remember a sketch. It's not a revolutionary design, the Boggs Bros. had a competitive TAD in the early '90s that was a FC chassis with a long wheelbase. I think Neil & Parks had one too.

Yes, I remember that. Someone asked Armstrong what kind of car he'd run in T/F, & he surprised everyone with a short front motor car, canopy & a wing. I kinda think he was thinking of F/C technology with a dragster chassis. Would have been easier to drive than a funny car cuz of longer wheel base. I also remember the Boggs car, crowd favorite & that sucker could run! The Neil & Parks car was a T/AD. I saw it run at Vegas years ago. Wasn't as long as the rear engine cars of the day, & it really was a stretched F/C chassis. Was a cool looking car. Hmmmm, now that I think of it, there was a dragster called "the funny digger", around 1972? Was similiar to the Neil & Parks car.

Leave 'em just the way they are, make one big class out of whatever enters, and give the half a bulb to the floppers. The big dog will take home the meaty bone.

Changing the body style and wheelbase will ultimately make one huge, confusing rule book and more regulations. And then it'll be dull within 3 seasons.

Like this?
AE4R8933.JPG

Yes, I remember that. Someone asked Armstrong what kind of car he'd run in T/F, & he surprised everyone with a short front motor car, canopy & a wing. I kinda think he was thinking of F/C technology with a dragster chassis. Would have been easier to drive than a funny car cuz of longer wheel base. I also remember the Boggs car, crowd favorite & that sucker could run! The Neil & Parks car was a T/AD. I saw it run at Vegas years ago. Wasn't as long as the rear engine cars of the day, & it really was a stretched F/C chassis. Was a cool looking car. Hmmmm, now that I think of it, there was a dragster called "the funny digger", around 1972? Was similiar to the Neil & Parks car.

The Boggs car caused the TAD rules to be changed MANY times. NHRA kept adding wheelbase to them. The current rules are set for a 150" altered. At one point, Boggs stretched their car out to 180". The Parks car was the same deal. Both where FC chassis that had a longer front half. The Funny Digger was a FED front half with a FC rear half.

really good article.....leave em' the way they are. IMO FC has the potential to be a hands down crowd favorite again,
and maybe attract more sponsors that could increase participants to the level of seeing 20+ at each event.
i agree, more money for qualifying would go a long way for everyone involved......and IF they could burnout just a little longer.

Well the article says rear engined, so I picture something like this:View attachment 4071

I loved this car. It was really hi tech for it's day. Saw it debut at Pomona, & Herm made one pass where it caught on fire. I thought, oh no, not again. I saw Herm's crash & fire that burned him at OCIR. I wish someone could make this car again, carbon fiber, etc etc, altho it is too short for the current T/F rules. This car and Snakes' Wedge are my all time favorite T/F cars. Phil Burgess did a piece on the Wedge cars and it stretched out for some time. They were soooo cool.

I have a bunch of photos at work from when it was new. I will try to remember to upload them next week.

One thing about the funny digger was that the driver could see over the engine, not have to look around it like a normal front motor car. This car was built by Race Car Specialities. Can you read the names on the cowl? Hume? and 2 others. Just curious who ran it. Was still a cool car, 392 whale motor and all that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back