Compton on Wind Tunnel next (1 Viewer)

Just to carry this thought just a little further, suppose that he bought the 4 tracks and that gave him a total of 6 or 7? Chicago I hear can be bought. Now just suppose that mr. smith owns a majority of the tracks then who has the real power?????

Owns the majority of the tracks, purchases Pro Drag racing and then it becomes what he wanted to buy in the first place. I believe it is what is called an end run.

Interesting concept. Possible, who knows....but interesting.:rolleyes:

jim

You know what guys? The biggest fear we all have right now is that drag racing on the pro level is in the hands of people who will not, no matter what, put the sport first before making a profit. Remember when Charlie Sheen's dad's company was bought out by GG in the movie Wall Street? What happened next? I'm the eternal optimist, but I've also been around the stock market for quite awhile, and mergers and acquisitions don't always have happy endings. Here's a thought I had (dream?) : The sports biggest players, such as Evan, Forrest, Connie, Shoe, Ken Black and a few others, all have a huge stake in this sport, and it's all fueled by passion (addiction?) for drag racing. These guys could have easily formed an entity with the cash to acquire NHRA's pro side, and we would be in the hands of people who without question have the intention to grow the sport. I know there are other factors involved, but it hit me that the very people who have the biggest stake in the sport right now should maybe be the people who have a big influence on the future.

I've been wondering about the 20,000+ hours of video in NHRA's archive.

I think it goes to show how poorly managed NHRA has been... that there is that much footage and hardly anything has ever really been done with it. I would think that the hiring of a production company to put together a series of DVDs/videos for sale to the public would have been a windfall for the NHRA coffers.

Instead they sat on that footage for god knows how long.

I think HD's acquiring of NHRA's assets and the Pro Drag Racing should be a huge boost to drag racing in general.

I'm still concerned with the future management of NHRA and how the sportsman racing will be handled.

Greg,

NHRA has not had this archive for as long as you think. It was the property of Diamond P Sports (remember them) until just recently. DP owned the footage as part of the original agreement to produce the NHRA TV shows. All of the old "Walked Away" tapes and Drag Racing '95 year in review" tapes were done by DP. When NHRA and DP split, DP kept the archive (it was their's) and NHRA has been trying to buy it for years. DP Finally agreed to sell and NHRA now has it, but they have not been sitting on it for "God knows how long".

Alan

You know what guys? The biggest fear we all have right now is that drag racing on the pro level is in the hands of people who will not, no matter what, put the sport first before making a profit.

To me, that is the situation we are in now. Glendora has a nasty habit of snatching up potential team sponsors for their own good (pocketbook).

I do agree with the last part of your quote:

"the very people who have the biggest stake in the sport right now should maybe be the people who have a big influence on the future."

... Here's a thought I had (dream?) : The sports biggest players, such as Evan, Forrest, Connie, Shoe, Ken Black and a few others, all have a huge stake in this sport, and it's all fueled by passion (addiction?) for drag racing. These guys could have easily formed an entity with the cash to acquire NHRA's pro side, and we would be in the hands of people who without question have the intention to grow the sport. ...
Nunzio,

I love the idea but it has the same fatal flaw that Bruton Smith buying NHRA had...

There would be no place in the new owner's organization for the current NHRA management. You think any of the NHRA Board or Management would have approved the deal with HD if it didn't guarantee them a seat at the table?

And what exactly is going to be different with HD at the helm vs. the existing NHRA management? Take a look at the majority of the current NHRA management team & executives and tell me how many have a drag racing background.

Greg,

NHRA has not had this archive for as long as you think. It was the property of Diamond P Sports (remember them) until just recently. DP owned the footage as part of the original agreement to produce the NHRA TV shows. All of the old "Walked Away" tapes and Drag Racing '95 year in review" tapes were done by DP. When NHRA and DP split, DP kept the archive (it was their's) and NHRA has been trying to buy it for years. DP Finally agreed to sell and NHRA now has it, but they have not been sitting on it for "God knows how long".

Alan
Alan,

Thanks for clearing that up! I knew Diamond P had a lot of the footage but they had been out of the picture for so long... and there has been nothing produced in many years. Even myself as a racer loves a good video of drag racing action. I can only imagine what the sales would be like to drag racing's rabid fans.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back