Cody Coughlin impresses at USAC main event (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Third-generation racer Cody Coughlin had a special crew member helping him out Saturday night when NASCAR superstar and fellow Team JEGS driver Kenny Wallace came to Columbus, Ohio, to cheer on his favorite Quarter-Midget pilot. The son of drag racer John Coughlin and grandson of NHRA pioneer Jeg Coughlin Sr., Cody didn't disappoint, leading the USAC main event towards the end of the race before ultimately finishing second by a fender.

Cody and the leader were going at it over the last few laps and raced clean and fair to the finish, where Cody's opponent eked out the win. The race drew a standing ovation from the crowd at the Ohio State Fairgrounds complex and earned Cody a high-five from NASCAR driver Jeff Burton, who was on hand to crew for his own son.

"I'm completely impressed with Cody," Wallace said. "I can't believe that was only his seventh race in the car. He was aggressive throughout and really stayed up on the wheel.

"I saw Jeff Burton and Dave Blaney there, my NASCAR buddies, so I was trying to be cool but when Cody took the lead on a restart with just a few laps to go I was jumping around and going crazy. I couldn't help myself. He almost won the thing but that other kid had a lot more experience and just got him by a foot or two at the end. It was a heckuva race.

"There were 198 cars there from as far away as western Canada and Oregon. I couldn't believe how big of a deal it was. Cody did great, man. He'll get a win real soon driving like that. I'm so proud of him."

Attachments

• JohnCodyKenny.jpg
    JohnCodyKenny.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,387
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back