Clarification about participating in NHRA events (1 Viewer)

Dago

Nitro Member
I was reading the NHRA results and saw that Arley Langlo did a boomer. Now I'm not trying to be a jerkwad but I'm wondering if competitors are supposed to meet certain performance criteria in order to participate.
I know drivers have to meet a certain ET in order to get licensed. I've known instances in the past where NHRA has issued mandates for teams with oildowns. I do know that teams are not fined this year for oildowns. I remember in the past when John Mitchell owned his Top Fuel team and was having problems with oil downs, NHRA mandated the team make a certain number of complete runs without oiling the track.
Once again, I'm not slagging or critical of Mr. Langlo. I applaud anyone who attempts to drive let alone tune one of these beasts. I'm not trying to be a keyboard crew chief - that's not my style.
What I am saying is that I've not seen recently where Langlo has gotten the car down the track under full power. Maybe he has done it in testing and I'm just raising an unnecessary question.
Now before everyone starts flaming me, I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause any trouble. I'm just curious that's all.

I'm sure guys like this aren't walking around saying to themselves, "If it weren't for that darn testing "ban" then we'd be out testing . . . I just can't afford to tell my "sponsors" that we are not running for the championship."

The testing ban is designed, among other things, to keep the playing field from getting even farther out of level. That means that the teams who should be wise enough to realize they aren't running for the championship should be out there testing as much as they can.

If today, you don't know you have enough money to know you can run the whole season, particularly in the nitro classes, is it logical to think you are running for the championship?

Yes, Connolly is a badmofo and had a heck of an owner/team behind him and proves that there are rare exceptions to every rule.

I was reading the NHRA results and saw that Arley Langlo did a boomer. Now I'm not trying to be a jerkwad but I'm wondering if competitors are supposed to meet certain performance criteria in order to participate.

The issue i can see is that Doug Kalitta and Tony S. can and do blow things up just like Langlo.

I don't think it's necessary to place skill and knowledge as a big critirea to 'not blowing stuff up'. i think another major issue is that some of those low budget team are either buying used parts that may not be perfect or having parts that they use far past their recommended lifespan.

Not on every pass; and certainly not on the burnout.

you left out one thing... blowing one up in the pits on warm up.... saw a top NHRA team do that a few years ago...lol... split the block right in half..... no names to protect the all mighty reputation... :p

but i'm with Jenn on this one....

Billy

Langlo's not running for the championship, clearly, so the testing ban has no effect on him. Remember, the "ban" doesn't mean you can't test at all, it means you lose points if you test. If you're Langlo and just want to get a shot at a Wally (albeit a long shot), or even to put a round win or two together, points don't mean squat. If he wanted to and could afford the cost/time to get out there and test, I'm sure they would. I'm also sure they're just as upset at the embarrassing boomers as anyone else.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back