"celebrities" at national events - who started it? (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
I was thinking about this today, and curious if any one racer is thought of as the ones who started this seemingly-growing trend, and when it all started; whether they're doing a sponsorship or charity appearance or just happen to be friends with a driver or whatever. We've all seen it on ESPN2 or maybe in person. KISS, Chip Foose, Rusty Wallace, Jesse James, various pro athletes, RATT, Zakk Wylde, Tony Stewart are some that come to mind. I remember Force having Priscilla Presley at the Texas Motorplex in the 90's and Mike Dunn with George Steinbrenner. Any earlier than that??

Chris,

I think it goes back to the beginning of time. There are a number of people that are famous in different realms that are "Car Guys" Bruce Sprinsteen is a regular at E-town and keeps a very low profile. Michael Anthony of Van Halen is another guy that comes to a lot of races. Back when Jay Wells was doing PR for the Snake, he brought a TON of celebs to the track. if you think about guys like TV Tommy Ivo, he was a very famous person in his era that actually raced.

Alan

Back when NHRA had their celebrity race at Pomona, they would get some prominent actors, Musicians! Why they discontinued that I have no idea!:rolleyes:

Both NFL player Dan Pasterini (sp) and Baseball player Jack Clark both had TF teams in the 80's. Then there was the Smother's Bros. TF er in the 60's. But that was before my prime, so I can't say for sure.

With many drag strips in and around So. Cal. there has to be quite a few.

I remember the 1999 and 2001 E-Town events had WWE superstars make an appearance when Pro Wrestling was at it's peak with the WWE Racing Floppers, Stone Cold Steve Austin was at the 1999 Nationals and Triple H and Stephanie McMahon were at the 2001 event.

I also remember NY DJ Funkmaster Flex match racing John Force at e-town back in 2005 and beating him.

Edit I forgot a couple other wrestlers who made appeances, Hulk Hogan (Vegas), Ric Flair (Z-Max) and on a lesser note Stevie Ray who worked in WCW w/brother Booker T i think that was in Texas because Booker and Stevie are both from Houston.

Last edited:
never saw her, although i think her title for the race was 'grand marshall'......
or something like that so she may have paraded on track once?

in late 90's era BIR when owned by 'the colonel' from detroit (can't remember
his real name) somehow he had a connection with THE Ann Margaret
who attended at least for part of a day back then........she was involved
in a motorcycle accident i think and was banged up.....something like that?

oddest place i ever thought i'd hear, much less see Ann Margaret.

never saw her, although i think her title for the race was 'grand marshall'......
or something like that so she may have paraded on track once?

in late 90's era BIR when owned by 'the colonel' from detroit (can't remember
his real name) somehow he had a connection with THE Ann Margaret
who attended at least for part of a day back then........she was involved
in a motorcycle accident i think and was banged up.....something like that?

oddest place i ever thought i'd hear, much less see Ann Margaret.

Do you think it's alrigiiiiht....to leave the boy with uncle ernie?

Well she played the mother in the film version of Tommy

I recall seeing Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts being on the starting line at the US Nationals in 2006......

This will show my age and anyone else who remembers the actor I mention below:

Back at the first Super Nationals race at Ontario Motor Speedway, I was crewing with a local AA/GS car and we were in the staging lanes when James Garner walked by the pickup bed I was sitting on and went over to my friends car.

Garner walked around the car a few times then he stuck his head in the race car and said something to my friend who was already strapped in the car and waiting to make a qualifying run.

After we ran, I asked my friend what Garner had said to him, he replied that Garner wanted to buy the race car and had cash with him to buy.

My friend said the offer startled him and he instinctively said no, afterward realizing what the offer had been.

You just never know who you will run into at the drags.

James Hetfield, lead signer and rhythm guitar player for Metallica was at Somona in 2004 as a guest of Ron Capps. I never expected to see him when I showed up at the track that morning. E-Town has had a number of famous people, as Rob stated WWE had a few of their wrestlers there, Governor Whitman was there one year, and Vito from the Sopranos was there a few years ago. I also recall seeing Peyton Manning at Indy a couple of years ago as a guest of Forrest Lucas.

While at the Winter Nationals around '95-'96? I went to the Manns Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and the manager noticed my racing shirt and asked me how fast the cars were running these days! When I told him they were over 300 he Freaked out!

He told me he grew up out there in the 70's going to Orange Co. And Irwindale, but got married and had a Family and lost track of the sport! I never thought a racing shirt in Hollywood would get a reaction.

The very first celebs I remember at the drags were also participants.
TV Tommy Ivo, of course.
And we can't forget Dickie Smothers of the Smothers brothers. Seems like the car was around a 1968 Olds 442, in Stock eliminator.

Dang, I'm OLD!

It makes me wonder though, due to the fact that celebs could go to the drags anonymously, who else might have been clandestine fans.

How about Frankie Avalon and Eric Von Zipper..........:p

VonZipperPhoto.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back