Carolina Nationals Most Watched Race in NHRA History (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
1632255778659.png

That's still a very low rating as other sports go, and even compared to NASCAR, but it is good news regardless for us drag racing fans. I wonder why this particular race attracted more TV viewer interest than normal? Maybe the public likes watching a sport where the players don't take a knee and give an F-you to our country.

Being a 2 hour telecast Instead of 3, probably yelped too. Being an old diehard fan, I enjoy the 3 hour show but for the more casual fan 2 HR is probably is a better paced, and more interesting program to watch.

I much more prefer an 1 1/2-2hr show. If it has to be a 3 hour show they should add the Top Alcohol cars instead of all the needless filler.

some really positive news. that's a great rating. hope it keeps up. obviously being on national network helps tremendously.
whit bazemore has a rather lengthy interview on the 'everything nitro' show on youtube. one topic he hits on is the length of the tv shows.
look it up. pretty interesting. he covers quite a few topics.
also on fox broadcast network recently: topeka @ .45, 675k viewers ...... BIR @ .48, 735k viewers ..... indy (sunday finals) @.50, 753k viewers (as reported on racer.com)

There is a lot of NHRA.TV subscribers that don’t tune in to Fox. And 1.4 million isn’t that much but if it’s their highest watch they might as well put it out there! LOL 😂
As much as they try Drag Racing isn’t tv friendly! Notice they won’t put NASCAR’s highest rating to compare it to because the difference would be laughable! Just saying!

How are "viewers" calculated? Moment in time? Average of various time points? Highest at any point in time? NHRA's methodology of counting the same person 3 times?

Surely all of those viewers didn't watch the show, they were simply waiting for their game (or left the TV on after the game). Not trying to poop on the numbers but I'm just wondering how relevant it is.

I've been a member of the Neilson rating group for a little over 5 years. I have a box wired to my system that records everything I watch or record and here's the best part, they pay me. I record all the NHRA races, Formula 1 and other things I like to watch to give them a boost in the ratings. From what they tell me I represent about 10,000 people in their overall ratings.

Good question. So basically, I could put on FOX, FS1, or FS2, go out cut my lawn, take a swim in the pool and be considered a viewer? What about 3rd party streaming apps? how do they grab the viewing stats from them and I'm not talking about Amazon, Hulu, You tube prime, etc...etc...

IMO people watched the first NFL game, left the tv on, went out and mowed the lawn and then came in and watched the second NFL game.
NHRA is not a very good tv sport especially live. If it wasn't for being able to tape it and FF thru a lot of crap and replays I do not think I could watch it live. You realize every new live round they replay the previous 1-2-3 rounds in about a minute. You can literally watch every live pass of the day in 1/2 an hour. As stated above if they need filler show other classes,

This site continues to be a beacon of positivity! And yes, I get all the points being made here, but sheesh, having those numbers is a big positive and worth talking about. If NHRA needs to try and schedule it's show strategically to leverage the NFL and NASCAR audiences, let's do it.

here's the latest ratings from last weekend on racer.com
yikes. reading ratings were low......but compare the two Camping World series, then compare the indy car laguna seca race on nbc network.
i would say nhra is competing well. every weekend different series can show better or worse results, but last weekend nhra was clearly not at the bottom.
we even edged out the xfinity series, granted they were on friday nite on NBCSN

Last edited:
Well, it is a bit apples to oranges, but I am sure drag racing viewership in the Wide World of Sports days was higher than what Fox got. And 1.4 million viewers will not get a lot of marketers excited - but at least it is going in the right direction.

This article is a bit old, but gives a decent idea of how DVR-watched programming is measured vs. live viewership. I used to be responsible for some big TV ad buys in my career, and this article is still pretty accurate. What you DVR only gets credit if you watch it. https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/tv-and-culture/dvr-viewings-tv-ratings1.htm

Being a 2 hour telecast Instead of 3, probably yelped too. Being an old diehard fan, I enjoy the 3 hour show but for the more casual fan 2 HR is probably is a better paced, and more interesting program to watch.
Also Pro Footballl

3 hrs would work good if done right. I watched NHRA,TV they ran 1st rd PS 10.15 Am Sunday dont know what that was about

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back