Capps Is Runner-up To Teammate Beckman In Denver (1 Viewer)

CAPPS IS RUNNER-UP TO TEAMMATE BECKMAN IN DENVER

MORRISON, Colo. (July 15, 2007) - Ron Capps and the Brut "Test Drive" Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car team led by Ed "Ace" McCulloch overcame difficulties in qualifying to reach their sixth final round of the season and 51st of Capps' career to claim the runner-up spot at the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals in an all-Don Schumacher Racing, all-Mopar final round.

Capps bowed out to Jack Beckman in a strong match-up for the DSR duo, when Beckman crossed the finish line 31 feet ahead of Capps. Capps' .065 reaction time to Beckman's .066 (.000 is perfect) gave him no edge, as Beckman posted a 4.932-second elapsed time at 312.86 mph over Capps' 5.001/307.86.

With Robert Hight exiting in the second round, Capps stretched out his points lead in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series Funny Car class to 154 markers.

En route to the final, Capps disposed of Del Worsham with a 5.078/299.13, Jerry Toliver with a 5.048/308.00 and Scott Kalitta with a 5.091/299.00.

"This was a great result for Mopar, as the event sponsor," said Capps. "Jack and that whole group, with (crew chiefs) Todd Okuhara and Phil Shuler, have been fighting to get into the top eight in the Countdown to the Championship points. We have a pretty substantial lead right now, so it could have been a worse weekend.

"Ace and I just talked. There is some carnage here in the pit area. A lot of teams really had some problems, had some oildowns. And we've built up a lot of credits with our oildowns. I'm proud of the Brut guys for putting a great car together.

"It's a brutal race up here. I don't think people at home really understand what these crew chiefs have gone through this weekend. We knew that Todd and Phil were going to step up. The mountain blocked the sun there for the final round and we knew they were going to run a 4.90. We just didn't have it. And that's OK. We're back down to sea level next weekend in Seattle and we'll get on with the swing.

"When John Force red-lit in the semifinals (against Beckman), I about jumped out of my seat. We were the pair behind him. So, I had to calm myself down.

"We almost wanted to burn the place down after last night," Capps said of the team's qualifying effort to finally get into the field in 12th in the last session. "It was so discouraging. We could not get the car to run. Ace was just beside himself. So, it was great to go rounds like we did today. We didn't even expect to get past first round, to be honest with you."

Next up is the Schuck's Auto Supply NHRA Nationals in Seattle, July 20-22.

FUNNY CAR POINT STANDINGS:
1. Ron Capps, 965 (runner-up today)
2. Robert Hight, 811
3. Mike Ashley, 726
4. Tony Pedregon, 720
5. Gary Scelzi, 679
6. Jim Head, 678
7. Jack Beckman, 647 (winner today)
8. Cruz Pedregon, 557
9. John Force, 541
10. Tommy Johnson Jr., 526

Ways To Support Nitromater