Capps and Hagan No. 1 and 2 in St. Louis (1 Viewer)

DSR logo.jpg

NHRA St. Louis Qualifying Report

NHRA Midwest Nationals
Event 16 of 20
Countdown Event 3 of 7
World Wide Technology Raceway
Madison, Ill.
Sept. 24 - 26, 2021

DSR Qualifying Highlights:

Funny Car point leader Ron Capps rocketed to the provisional pole on Friday night at World Wide Technology Raceway with a 3.888-second at 332.59 mph Q1 pass
Three-time and defending Funny Car world champ Matt Hagan finished the evening occupying the provisional No. 2 spot after clocking an almost identical 3.889 E.T.
Hagan entered the weekend ranked second in the Countdown to the Championship standings, trailing Capps by only five points. By clocking the quickest and second-quickest runs of the session, Capps and Hagan extended their point leads on the rest of the Funny Car category while also continuing to add to the excitement of a potential DSR intramural battle​

Capps and Hagan No. 1 and 2 in St. Louis
The current point leader and defending world champ maintain their stronghold on the Funny Car category
MADISON, Ill. (September 24, 2021) – Don Schumacher Racing’s stronghold on the Funny Car class continued on Friday night at the NHRA Midwest Nationals when current point leader Ron Capps rocketed his NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat to a blistering 3.888-second pass to earn the provisional pole while defending world champion Matt Hagan finished right behind him in second, powering the New Holland Dodge to a 3.889 E.T.
Capps and Hagan’s Dodge Hellcats were the final two Funny Cars to hit the World Wide Technology Raceway dragstrip during day one of qualifying, and they did not disappoint, motoring to side-by-side 332-mile-per-hour passes and putting on a spectacular show for the St. Louis area fans.
“Matt and I have the two best seats in the house,” said Capps who started the 2021 Countdown to the Championship as the No. 1 seed. “Funny Car is so fun for the fans right now, but for the drivers and the crews, it’s going to be like old school Pro Stock; it’s going to come down to the wire. With us going one and two tonight and running so close to each other, you’re going to see a lot of that over these last few races. A great job by (crew chiefs) ‘Guido’ (Dean Antonelli) and John Medlen."
Capps entered the race weekend ranked No. 1 in the Camping World Series point standings and carrying a five-point lead over Hagan who is hot on his heels occupying the No. 2 spot in the rankings. By clocking the quickest run of the session, Capps was awarded three bonus points but with his teammate recording the second-quickest run and collecting two bonus points, Capps was only able to extend his margin by one point. While he would’ve preferred to widen the gap, Capps knows from experience that every point accrued in the Countdown is important, and could be the difference between finishing the season hoisting the ‘big’ Camping World Series trophy or ending the year as the runner-up.
“If you go back and look at the record books, there are several years where I was No. 2 in the world by less than 10 points,” said Capps a 27-year nitro veteran who had been ‘the bridesmaid,’ finishing in second four times, before capturing his first world championship in 2016. “There was one year where I finished second and my daughter, she was a teenager at the time, she was hugging me, and I was fine until she started hugging me, and then it was just… you could see the dejection all over my face, and she was a wreck. I know I won’t ever forget that moment, and I’m sure in her mind, she really won’t ever forget that moment either. To lose it by less than a round on the last day of the year in Pomona, and you start wondering ‘where could I have made up that one or two or three or four points here and there,’ and those are those moments you look back on. You realize you lost everything you dreamed about by a few points, it’s crushing. These little points really do add up, and they’re important. That one point today could be the difference in standing on the stage as the champion, or standing next to the champion.”
If Capps can fend off the stacked field of viable championship contenders and maintain his position atop the ladder on Saturday, he will have the advantage of starting race day from the No. 1 spot for the 30th time in his career. The last time Capps started from the pole was at the rescheduled NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, Calif. where he raced from the No. 1 spot straight to the winner’s circle. And if his past performance at the suburban St. Louis venue is any indication as to how his weekend will play out, Capps looks to be in prime position as he is the winningest Funny Car driver at the facility, with four prior wins.
“Sometimes you forget about how many wins you have at a track until someone reminds you, but I think that’s good because it keeps you hungry,” said Capps, whose most recent Midwest Nationals win occurred in 2017. “My first win for Don Prudhomme was at the inaugural race here (1997), trying to get that win for him to pay him back for giving me that chance of a lifetime to drive that race car, and I’ll never forget that. Also, my first win for Don Schumacher Racing was here. It’s been special here, a lot of really cool moments, and I hope to keep adding to them.”

Capps 33.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 1
The Results: Q1: 3.888 E.T. at 332.59 MPH (Three bonus points for quickest run of the session)

Driver Information:
Top Fuel:

ANTRON BROWN: Driver of the Matco Tools Toyota Top Fuel Dragster
Brown 33.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 7
The Results:
Q1: 3.765 E.T. at 323.97 MPH

LEAH PRUETT: Driver of the Okuma Top Fuel Dragster
Pruett 51.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 17
The Results:
Q1: 6.680 E.T. at 104.23 MPH

Funny Car:

MATT HAGAN: Driver of the New Holland Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye
Hagan 30.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 2
The Results:
Q1: 3.889 E.T. at 332.75 MPH (Two bonus points for second-quickest run of the session)

Factory Stock Showdown:
DAVID DAVIES: Driver of the D H Davies Racing Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Davies 5.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 11
The Results:
Q1: 7.928 E.T. at 176.51 MPH

MARK PAWUK: Driver of the Empaco Equipment Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Pawuk 16.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 10
The Results:
Q1: 7.911 E.T. at 178.05 MPH

LEAH PRUETT: Driver of the Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Pruett 52.jpg

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 4
The Results:
Q1: 7.842 E.T. at 178.97 MPH

About Don Schumacher Racing:
Established in 1998 as a single-car Top Fuel team, Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) has grown to become the winningest organization in NHRA Drag Racing history, and further cemented its position as one of motorsports’ elite teams when it surpassed the ‘350 wins’ milestone during the 2020 season. DSR owns 18 world championships in three different NHRA categories, and including hall-of-fame team owner Don Schumacher’s five NHRA Funny Car triumphs from the 1970s, DSR has been successful in capturing 364 national event victories overall.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields four professional teams competing in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series. Three-time world champion Antron Brown, and double-duty driver Leah Pruett headline DSR’s Top Fuel dragster team. DSR’s two Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Funny Cars are driven by 2016 Funny Car world champion Ron Capps, and Matt Hagan, who earned his third NHRA series title in 2020.
DSR also campaigns three entries in the NHRA Constant Aviation Factory Stock Showdown Series. The trio of DSR Dodge Drag Paks is piloted by Pruett, the 2018 series champion, former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk, and David Davies who made his FSS debut in 2021.
For more information, visit shoeracing.com, or Follow Us @shoeracing on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back