Cannister and Kalbones Ready to Take Advantage of Their IHRA Season “Oasis” (1 Viewer)

October 13, 2008 – Johnstown, Ohio – While the four remaining professional 2008 IHRA World Championships are yet to be decided, most are aware that one class championship was completed during the last IHRA event in Epping. That would be the Alcohol Funny Car Championship belonging to Laurie Cannister and the Kalbones Grill’n Sauce Alcohol Funny Car team. They are proud to be able to enjoy their accomplishments and their 2008 Championship heading into The World Finals at Rockingham Dragway.

Due to their fantastic season, the Kevin and Wendy Sims owned Kalbones Grill’n Sauce AFC team has created what could easily be dubbed as a haven or “oasis” which some define as “a shelter serving as a place of safety or sanctuary.” What that all means in drag racing terms is they can put the pressure of the championship behind them and concentrate their efforts a little more on the race at hand. Which for the Kalbones’ team equals -- testing.

“Actually, it’s a really weird feeling and I don’t even know how to describe it,” Laurie said as she talks about the upcoming World Finals. “It feels like the season ended and this is just a tease or something – racing one time and then we’re all off again for four months. I’m looking forward to getting back in the car and seeing everyone again. It feels like forever since Epping. I’m just ready to go!”

Tuner Dale Cannister has other thoughts pertaining to the Rockingham event and it is more team related. “I’m concerned about going to Rockingham after being off as a team for five weeks. Everyone has been off and I hope that it won’t take but just a moment to get all of us back up to speed. You go at such an intense pace all season long and to stop for five weeks like that, well it is a small concern of mine.”

Laurie was quick to point out that it shouldn’t be a problem for her as a driver or anyone else on the team. After all, it actually seems to be a good thing for the Kalbones’ team. “I mentioned to Dale that if you just want to base it on our track record, we actually do pretty darn good after “breaks in the action”, she says while making quote hand gestures. “Look at what we did our first race out in 2007 and again in 2008, we won them both. So maybe being away from it all isn’t such a bad thing or something we need to be worried about.”

The Kalbones team is hoping the fall weather in Rockingham will be just what they need to set an E.T. record. Cannister currently holds the eighth mile E.T. and speed record, set back at the season opener in San Antonio. At one time Cannister held the quarter mile AFC speed record but it’s the E.T. mark that she and the team are gunning for.

“We are going to take advantage of our situation in Rockingham. We’re going to throw everything at the car that we have wanted to all season,” she smiles. “This is the time to do it. We want to go to Rockingham, win the last event and set an E.T. record along the way.”

“There is a little unfinished business left for us to tend to at Rockingham. Our first event as a team at Rockingham last fall we were number one qualifier, but were unable to seal the deal come race day,” Laurie added. “I like to avenge that and by doing so solidify why our Kalbones’ team is the 2008 IHRA AFC World Champion team.”

The 2008 IHRA Nitro Jam season finale, The World Finals, is set to take place October 17-19 at Rockingham Dragway just outside Rockingham, North Carolina.

Laurie Cannister Fast Fan Facts
Birthday - July 23
Hometown - Johnstown, Ohio with husband, Tuner Dale Cannister
Children - Samson "Our Son" - Norwegian Elkhound
2008 IHRA Alcohol Funny Car World Champion
2008 IHRA Alcohol Funny Car Champion - Texas Nationals (San Antonio), Spring Nationals (Rockingham), President’s Cup Nationals (Budds Creek), Rocky Mountain Nationals (Edmonton) & Northern Nationals (Martin)
2008 IHRA Alcohol Funny Car Runner-Up – Motor City Nationals (Milan) & Sooner Nationals (Tulsa)
2002 & 2007 IHRA Alcohol Funny Car Champion - President's Cup Nationals (Budds Creek)
2000 IHRA Pro Outlaw World Champion
1999 IHRA Pro Rookie of the Year
Career quickest Quarter Mile elapsed time is 5.669
Career fastest Quarter Mile speed is 246.89
Career quickest Eighth Mile elapsed time is 3.731 (Current IHRA ET Record)
Career fastest Eighth Mile speed is 198.32 (Current IHRA Speed Record)
Cannister is the fastest and quickest female driver in IHRA Alcohol Funny Car history (Eighth & Quarter Mile)

All race team related info and photos – www.kalbonesracing.com

About Kalbones Grill'n Sauce:
Serious Sauce for Serious Grill'n! We make it easy for you to become a grill master with our unique family recipe using only the finest and freshest ingredients. There are two secrets to producing great barbecue. The first is the slow cooking process which allows the meat to tenderize while maintaining all of the moist, natural, mouth-watering juices. The second is the sauce. Kalbones is a Southern Virginia style sauce which enhances and compliments the natural flavor of the meat with a distinctive home-style barbeque flavor. Whether the occasion is a pig pickin', tailgate party, or a backyard barbeque, Kalbones is your essential ingredient to success. Six mouth watering flavors to choose from and a new rub.

Better yet - Try them all! Mop Kalbones on beef, poultry, and seafood too - It's "not jus' for yer butts!"

For more information about Kalbones Grill'n Sauce, ordering, contests and great recipes visit - Kalbones Grill'n Sauce - It's not Jus For Yer Butts!

Special Thanks to – Flatout Gaskets – www.flatoutgaskets.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back