By definition, wilkerson fine for phoenix (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]PHOENIX (February 16, 2009) -- A leading dictionary defines the word "rebound" as meaning "to recover, as from discouragement, failure, or ill health," among other references to trampolines, basketballs, and scorned lovers. With that first definition in mind, while also looking strictly at the record and seeing a DNQ listed as Tim Wilkerson's result from the first race of the year, it might seem appropriate to assume the driver of the Levi, Ray & Shoup Shelby Mustang needs a rebound this weekend, at the second race of the '09 campaign in Phoenix. It might seem appropriate, but the popular driver/tuner doesn't see it that way, because the definition doesn't fit the story.

Had Wilkerson left Pomona with that same DNQ, but with four qualifying runs on his record, he might very well feel differently, but his lone shot at the tricky Pomona track left him much more philosophical than frustrated, and more forward-looking than retrospective. After all, it was a bizarre and weather-plagued weekend for everyone, and in the end two Funny Car teams were going to draw the short straws. Wilkerson just happened to be one of the two.

"Seriously, if we had gone out there and smoked the tires four times, I'd be pretty worried and pretty upset right now, but the way it happened was just a fluke and there wasn't much we could do about it," Wilkerson said. "We thought we'd be getting two shots at the track, and we weren't sure how they were going to set the field anyway, so the whole thing was just kind of a strange deal. We went out there for the first run of the year, had some problems, and before you know it it's pouring rain again and they're coming by to tell us 'We're done and we're setting the field. Sorry about that.' I could hardly even get mad. It was just a weird weekend, from start to finish.

"So, it's not like we stunk the place up and feel like we really need to bounce back, get well, or fix the whole world. We just need to get to Phoenix for this weekend's race and have a regular two days of qualifying and then Sunday eliminations. If we get good weather, everything will seem back to normal, because nothing seemed normal about Pomona. To be honest, I don't even really know if we need to rebound or not, because I still don't know very much about how this car will run. We didn't learn a single thing in Pomona."

With only one aborted run on his '09 record, Wilkerson is clearly giving up some valuable data to the teams that did race, eventually, on Tuesday in Pomona. But, with a moderate approach in mind and a fine track record to his credit, Wilkerson has yet to feel any pangs of real uncertainty or doubt. He's just ready to race and make progress.

"I learned last year that you don't need to set the world on fire every week in qualifying," he said. "The first and most important thing you have to do, is get in the field. These days, you can win out of any position on the ladder, because all of the cars out here are tough, so it almost doesn't matter if you're at the top or at the bottom, and if the lanes are equal it might not matter at all. We qualified at the top at both Pomona and Phoenix last year, and left Phoenix still 0-2, without a round win. So, if we get in the field this weekend and win a round, we'll be ahead of last year in those terms.

"We're still a bit in test-mode with this new car because it's not just a new chassis, it's a three-rail car and they're the newest thing out here. It's a whole new car, so we're a bit blind in terms of how it reacts leaving the line and going down the track, and we have the new Shelby Mustang body on it, which may handle differently than what I'm used to when it's up to speed and the aerodynamics really kick in. The best thing for us to do is to just concentrate on going from A to B, and get it in the show. It's one step at a time, right now, but last year made us all realize we can rise to the occasion, and I don't have any reason to expect anything less from us this year."

Wilkerson will have plenty of company, and a lot of emotional support, when he takes to the Firebird International track this weekend, at the Lucas Oil Slick Mist Nationals. His primary sponsor, Levi, Ray & Shoup will be hosting a large group of corporate guests, and his car will be flying the logo of a new one-race sponsor, the Hampton Inn-Tempe.

"LRS has some big clients in the Phoenix area, so we'll probably have around 200 of their guests with us at the track on Saturday, and dozens on the other days," Wilkerson said. "We're bringing out our new hospitality area at this race, but with 200 people we'll still need to utilize some of the space in the track's hospitality village. All in all, it's a big race for LRS and every race is a big race for us. We'll just do all we can to give them something to cheer about.

"We'll also be happy to host the fine folks from the Tempe Hampton Inn, who are stepping up to be part of the program this weekend. This tough economy hits the hotel industry hard too, because people don't travel as much, so it was good to hear them say how important it was for them to find new ways to promote themselves and connect with our fans. We'll do all we can to help put the Hampton Inn in Tempe on a lot of people's radar screens, and if I know drag racing fans at all I know they'll remember this particular hotel, just because they stepped up to support our team. NHRA fans are very loyal that way, so I'm confident we can drive some business for the hotel."

Confidence. Whether it relates to his car, his abilities, or the marketing value of a team association, Tim Wilkerson has plenty of confidence. And that explains why he doesn't see the need for rebound as much as he just needs a chance to race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back