Butcher Feeling 'Incredible' After Historic Top Sportsman Win In ADRL (1 Viewer)

MARTIN, MI (July 19, 2011) – The occasion was deserving of a major celebration and Glenn Butcher was more than happy to provide it.

With Top Sportsman named an official class in the American Drag Racing League (ADRL) before last weekend’s Ford Drive One Summer Drags VII at U.S. 131 Motorsports Park, Butcher became the historic first winner in the class.

The Ohio native went 4.25 at 168.48 miles per hour, beating Charlie Whittenburg in a thrilling drag race that might have only been topped by Butcher’s exuberant celebration in the winner’s circle.

Nearly overcome with emotion, Butcher excitedly thanked everyone he could think of who contributed to the monumental victory.

When asked his feelings in the winner’s circle, Butcher also only had one thought in mind.

“Incredible, incredible, incredible,” Butcher said. “To be the first Top Sportsman winner in the ADRL, this is just incredible. This track has always been good to me.”

It was never better than last weekend when Butcher and his Garrett-built ’68 Camaro topped everyone in the inaugural 19-car Top Sportsman field.
After qualifying in the No. 4 position with a 4.243 at 173.05 mph, Butcher was consistent in the car and outstanding at the starting line throughout eliminations.

He posted reaction times of .013 and .010 in quarterfinal and semifinal victories before going a remarkable .007 in the finals against Whittenburg.
Butcher said he was simply pleased to perform well on such a grand stage, as fans once again packed the ADRL’s annual trip to U.S. 131 Motorsports Park for the Ford Drive One Summer Drags.

“For the ADRL to bring us in here, it’s just amazing, really,” said Butcher, who also credited his Holbrook engine, Hoosier Tires and Abruzzi transmission.

“This truly is incredible. I had great help the entire time and it was just a great car. It was on a string all day long and it just worked out perfectly.”
As for the program as a whole, Top Sportsman was a rousing success in its debut as an official class in the ADRL.

All 19 cars in attendance had impressive runs, with Mark Malcuit earning the first Tim McAmis Performance Parts Top Sportsman No. 1 Qualifier Program award after going 4.173 at 171.72 mph.

That came on Malcuit’s first pass, but engine damage on the run abruptly and unfortunately ended his weekend.

Don Klooster was the No. 2 qualifier with a 4.212 and Whittenburg was right behind at 4.214.

Each talked glowingly about their experience racing in the ADRL, and Butcher was certainly among that group.

“This is just a blast. I love racing, but racing here, it’s just amazing,” Butcher said. “The fans are awesome, the people are so nice and the ADRL has just taken great care of us. I’ve been everywhere and raced everywhere, but this is it. This place is incredible.”

Butcher was part of the first Top Sportsman exhibition at Maple Grove in May and his positive experience had him plenty interested to race in Martin.
After going down in the record books as the first winner in ADRL Top Sportsman history, Butcher can’t wait to see what is in store next.

“I’ve always had a blast racing, but this is going to be awesome racing in the ADRL,” Butcher said.

Top Sportsman will continue racing at the sixth stop on the nine-race 2011 ADRL Tour, the Speedtech U.S. Drags IV, which takes place Aug. 12-13 at Virginia Motorsports Park in Petersburg, Va.

Attachments

• DSB_4466.jpg
    DSB_4466.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSA_0691.jpg
    DSA_0691.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back