Buick Somerset (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member

Always thought the Dale Pulde Somerset body AA/FC was a great looking flopper. Saw the car at Seattle and Spokane
in 1985 and 1986. But we can't forget the late Ron & Val Sutherland's "Desert Rat" Somerset body AA/FC, with the
late Chris Lane in the seat. Chris had been driving nitro cars for years. The picture below is from Seattle 1986 (did not take the picture) big funny car show in Aug. No not 64 funny cars.
That was a distant memory, but nonetheless a stout feild of 16 AA/FC and 16 BB/FC. Bought the t-shirt and the hat pin
that day. The shirt has been worn and done years ago (sad) still have the pin (that's my pin)

1653594085093.png

AA/FC Seattle 1986
1653594135955.png

Let's take a trip back to Firebird 1986

Here are a couple of early nitro cars Chris drove. Cool guy to talk too, back in the day.
1653600070050.png

AA/FD Chris Lane in the seat. Can't remember who owned the car
1653600326472.png

AA/FC Chris Lane in the seat "The Phoenix" of Joe Pierce

Last edited:
In the article on Comp Plus a "forty inch front end " was referred to. What was that and why was it "not going to work"?

Gino, this was The Woz. Spacing on his name, but he was a car painter and ran TA/FC for years. Always has really nice lookin' cars. The Shady Glenn was Jim Glenn, car owner, with different drivers over the years. Jim Adolph drove one of them in late 1970's. Bill Schultz involved in the car (Schultz & Glenn AA/FD).

Last edited:
Gino, this was The Woz. Spacing on his name, but he was a car painter and ran TA/FC for years. Always has really nice lookin' cars. The Shady Glenn was Jim Glenn, car owner, with different drivers over the years. Jim Adolph drove one of them in late 1970's. Bill Schultz involved in the car (Schultz & Glenn AA/FD).

TAFC racer Mark Woznichak, Ontario CA

Shady Glenn AA/FC could be the late Ed Moore in the seat

Last edited:
I well remember these cars (except the dragster). Phoenix based. Not too many fuel cars out of Phx anymore, except Johnny West.
Not too many but there are still a few, obviously Maroney with the big show car. Robert and Dylan Winefsky have the nitro moose altered. There is another fuel altered that I can picture in my head but cant think of the name or driver (I know, helpful) that I see at Firebird, Tucson etc. I saw a picture recently that Chris Thomson posted that someone was restoring an old Desert Rat funny car, do not know if they are local but I would imagine so. And of course if I hit the lottery Ill park my fat ass in a funny car.

In the article on Comp Plus a "forty inch front end " was referred to. What was that and why was it "not going to work"?

IF I remember correctly, 40" referred to the maximum measurement from the front wheel centerline to the outermost point if the front of the body. Bernstein built his 86 Tempo with this built in, giving him an advantage with breaking the beams first, on finish line lights. When others ( like Roland Leong) saw that, they added "cow catcher" pieces on the front of their bodies, to give them the same advantage. These days they make their body latches do the same thing.

Not too many but there are still a few, obviously Maroney with the big show car. Robert and Dylan Winefsky have the nitro moose altered. There is another fuel altered that I can picture in my head but cant think of the name or driver (I know, helpful) that I see at Firebird, Tucson etc. I saw a picture recently that Chris Thomson posted that someone was restoring an old Desert Rat funny car, do not know if they are local but I would imagine so. And of course if I hit the lottery Ill park my fat ass in a funny car.
My dad's buddy Greg Carillo out of Phoenix has a part time but very competitive TF car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back