Brogdon Mac Tools U.S.Nationals Wrap Up (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1](Indianapolis, IN) When you’re racing at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals it’s always a good plan to bring the best game you have. When the dust had settled from qualifying, Rodger Brogdon and the Charter Communications / Attitude Apparel team found that they had brought more than enough to be a part of Monday’s final eliminations.

Just making Monday’s eliminations was a feat in itself, as the year’s largest collection of Pro Stock racers (32) were trying to make the 16 car field. When qualifying was completed some newcomers were in and noted tour regulars Warren & Kurt Johnson were out. For Rodger Brogdon and team, running the same engine that propelled them earlier this year to one of the rare 6-second runs at Bandimere Speedway proved to be a good call, as the team started eliminations from the thirteenth qualifying position.

“Every lap we ran was a quality lap, and the car responded to the changes Tommy Utt called for in the pits,” Brogdon stated. “The one run I’d like to have back came in the third session, the car was on a great run and then wouldn’t go into high gear. The early numbers showed we were on a high 6.62 or low 6.63 and while it was disappointing to lose that run, knowing that the car could run the number was rewarding. Losing that run cost us a top half qualifying spot, but in today’s Pro Stock racing, just being in the show gives you the opportunity to win.”

For round one, the Charter Communications /Attitude Apparel team was matched with Mopar driver Allen Johnson and the race was decided at the starting line as Brogdon grabbed an .025 to .045 reaction time advantage and crossed the finish line just .019 ahead of the hard charging Dodge. “We’ve been involved in so many close first round races this year it was nice to grab the win here at Indy. Like I’ve said before, we knew we had the car, we just needed the win light to light up on our side of the track.”

In the second round Brogdon was lined up next to point’s leader Jeg Coughlin in what should have been a battle between the two Cagnazzi powered cars in Pro Stock, but neither driver had an easy go of it. At the flash of green Jeg’s car went straight into tire shake while Brogdon was fighting his own battles. “As I was bringing the RPM’s up and beginning to pull into final staging beams the car sputtered for just a second before clearing out and climbing up to launch RPM. But by then my normal staring line rhythm had been disrupted and I was just too early on the tree. On a run that should have seen us get to our first semi-finals, we handed Jeg the lucky round win he needed to be able to go on and win the U.S. Nationals, and congrats to them for being able to get the big Indy win. It’s been said many times before that you need at least one lucky round to get a win, today unfortunately, their luck came from our miscue.”

“We’ve got six races left in the season and with the way we’re running now it’s going to get interesting,” Brogdon added. “With all the focus on the battle for the championship among the top ten, this Charter Communications / Attitude Apparel team certainly has the opportunity to mix things up with the rest of the field from here on out. I can’t wait for Charlotte.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back