**BREAKING-SNAKE&MONGOOSE F/C&HAULERS SOLD TO 'NASCAR' OWNER (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
Last edited:
Glad to see someone like Rick Hendrick get them. I was afraid they would go overseas. At least they will be appreciated and hopefully be placed somewhere that the average person can view them. I know his private collection is not open to the public, but at least maybe he will display these pieces of history on occasion.

As we were watching the auction coverage I was thinking, "Those belong in the NHRA Museum!", and my son said that very thing. Unfortunate that they're not headed to Pomona, but like others, I'm glad they're staying in the US.

-Jeff

This gets more than a little scary about the :21 mark...but watch the whole thing. Good thing HE was in the seat, could have been really ugly otherwise. I'm moderately surprised they posted this...

Did observe at one point Snake rubbing elbows, spending time and enjoying the event with NASCAR President Mike Helton ;)
Don has always seemed interested in various forms of motorsports ;) Wonder if anything is up? ;);):)

Last edited:
This gets more than a little scary about the :21 mark...but watch the whole thing. Good thing HE was in the seat, could have been really ugly otherwise. I'm moderately surprised they posted this...

You can see when they open the butterflies to spray fuel in, they do not entirely shut. That could have been bad!

Hmmm... I wonder if the bidder that was in for a Million is pissed off that it sold for the same amount AFTER THE FACT behind closed doors?

When I was watching the bidding on TV , and it was stuck at the 1 mil, FOX kept going back showing one of the bid assistants near Rick Hendrick, so I think Rick was the one who bid 1 mil.

FROM GOOD GUYS ROD & CUSTOM WEBSITE....HOT NEWS SECTION.......I THINK POSTED EARLY SUN MORNING ?

NASCAR team owner and mega-dealer Rick Hendrick stepped up and purchased Don Prudhomme’s Dodge D700 Mongoose & Snake ramp trucks with accompanying funny cars when the package failed to meet reserve. Terms were not disclosed but rumors flew the price was in the range of 6 million.

In an auction where the consignor has a reserve price (which is not disclosed) the auctioneer can legally bid the price up to the reserve without any bidders actually bidding. I had one of my cars at a larger auction last year with a reserve price and I watched it get bid up a to a certain dollar amount with real money (actual bidders). It was a few thousand short of the reserve so the auctioneer took what looked like real bids to help it reach the reserve. These are known as shill or chandelier bids. Once the auctioneer took the price up no one else bid so it didn't sell. This is done in order to give a person in the room the ability to buy it at the reserve if no one else is there to bid it up along with them.

In many cases, especially at MECUM auctions, you have one buyer who will pay the price, but no second bidder to bid against that person to help get the bidding high enough to meet the reserve. And the bidder who really wants it won't out bid himself to get the price up. Sometimes during the bidding the reserve gets lowered by the seller and it sells right then. Also, many deals are struck after the auction because the reserve gets disclosed and the person who was bidding or anyone else who may be interested is willing to pay the reserve price for it.

Last edited:
;)Randy Goodwin to the tower
Are you doing any color commentary at Pomona?
We want answers...we deserve answers and we want them now.

They never had live money during the entire bidding process. And I can almost guarantee Hendrick didn't give 6 million for them. Not that it's any of my business, but it's a sin to see these wonderful cars permanently shuttered in a private collection where no one but Hendrick and his close friends and associates can see them. If you want to see a fine auto collection, arguably one of the finest collection of Corvettes in the world, come to Nocona, Texas and spend the day browsing the 3 buildings that comprise the Pete Horton museum.

I read early last week that the reserve was set at $1.2 mill, so I would imagine they're somewhere in that ball park.

Rick Hendricks has an amazing automotive museum that's very much open to the public right next to his race shops, only a mile or so from the dragway.

Considering they are out west, maybe Wally's place before heading east. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get loaned to BIG at sometime.

I'm glad Rick bought them, he's a pure gearhead, and seems to dig drag racing. Anyone ever see his personal late model Camaro? Pretty badass, I believe it's a 7 second car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back