Billy Meyer and the Tex-Plex (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Thats great news..

but.. i wonder if he ever fixxed the winners light that Capps always complained about?....lol.....

"The walls are going to not only be taller than the height on the track, but the walls also are going to continue to narrow down to be able to funnel a car into a safe zone eliminating the chance that a car hits anything."

LOVE that idea!!

Thats great news..

but.. i wonder if he ever fixxed the winners light that Capps always complained about?....lol.....

You mean the G.D. winner's light? I think that was the Round 1 that he beat Force....and was a little torqued up! Too funny....

You mean the G.D. winner's light? I think that was the Round 1 that he beat Force....and was a little torqued up! Too funny....

la la la la la la la.............thanks for reminding me of that, I almost had it out of my head!

la la la la la la la.............thanks for reminding me of that, I almost had it out of my head!

LMAO! And to think we were sitting in the same section....hard to believe we were mere acquaintances back then!

LMAO! And to think we were sitting in the same section....hard to believe we were mere acquaintances back then!

Hey now!!!!! No threadjacking a threadjackers thread with your own lo-jacking!!! Reminisce elsewhere!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

(Just kidding....I need some laughs this week!!)

And how do I spell reminisce....that doesn't even look close to correct...

Here is an idea I emailed to NHRA a while back in regards to shut down area safety:

I have an idea that I wish to pass along in hopes of improving track safety. In many post incident interviews I have heard drivers make the comment that they did not know where they were at location wise on the track after suffering from an engine explosion or other event that impaired their vision. I have also heard them say that they could see the guard wall and used that as a point of reference to help them stay in their lane.

My suggestion is to paint the guard walls different colors in relation to the distance from the end of the shut down area. For example if a track has 3000 feet of shut down, the first 1500 feet the guard wall would be green, the next 1000 feet yellow and the last 500ft red. That way if a driver is disorientated or their vision impaired so that they are not able to see down track a simple glance at the guard wall would give them a reference point as to their location. This would help them in knowing how hard to apply the brakes or if they should prepare for entering the sand trap/catch systems at the end of the track.

This is a simple low cost way of providing drivers with additional information to help them safely control their race vehicles.

Here is an idea I emailed to NHRA a while back in regards to shut down area safety:

I have an idea that I wish to pass along in hopes of improving track safety. In many post incident interviews I have heard drivers make the comment that they did not know where they were at location wise on the track after suffering from an engine explosion or other event that impaired their vision. I have also heard them say that they could see the guard wall and used that as a point of reference to help them stay in their lane.

My suggestion is to paint the guard walls different colors in relation to the distance from the end of the shut down area. For example if a track has 3000 feet of shut down, the first 1500 feet the guard wall would be green, the next 1000 feet yellow and the last 500ft red. That way if a driver is disorientated or their vision impaired so that they are not able to see down track a simple glance at the guard wall would give them a reference point as to their location. This would help them in knowing how hard to apply the brakes or if they should prepare for entering the sand trap/catch systems at the end of the track.

This is a simple low cost way of providing drivers with additional information to help them safely control their race vehicles.

Low cost and very easy to do. Could be useful if forward vision is blocked

I like that idea.

I like the longer shut down, and Mr.Pickens idea about color coding the walls.
Don't like the part about narrowing the track. :confused: Seems to me a car in trouble needs more room - not less. jmo

Last edited:
Don't like the part about narrowing the track. :confused: Seems to me a car in trouble needs more room - not less. jmo

If I read it right the track isnt narrowed its the shutdown and sand trap thats narrowed so that if they have a run away car like what happened with scott kalitta it will have enough room to just slow down on its own without hitting anything which is why he extended the shutdown a really long way

The wall will guide them into the sand trap, meaning less margin of error of the car hitting something other than the sand trap - i.e. - what happened with Scott.

Gregg, that's a great idea!

Referencing Gregg's idea, another potential benefit of the color coding would be that a driver who's having a difficult time bleeding off speed (brake failure / malfunction) would be able to tell they were running out of real estate and have the decision available to use the wall to slow themselves down prior to entering the trap... I would think a side impact of the cement retaining wall, especially a controlled side impact of sorts, would be a lot nicer than going full-tilt boogie into the sand. Sure, it means damage to the car, but hitting the sand at that speed isn't exactly going to save the car - just ask Del. That option is obviously available to them today, even without the color coding, but I would think seeing green, turn to yellow then to red out the side windows would be a visual reminder of sorts, under already extreme conditions, that a decision needs to happen.

Obviously, I've never driven one myself so I could be way off track, but from my outsider's point of view, my thought is that it certainly couldn't hurt.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back