Big weekend for litton in salt lake (1 Viewer)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah. June 21, 2010: Bruce Litton took his Lucas Slick Mist Top Fuel Dragster to its fifth consecutive Nitro Jam final this past weekend. His remarkable winning streak began in February at State Capital Raceway in Baton Rouge where Litton won on Day 2 of the event. Then he tore through four rounds of competition in Rockingham, N.C. to take home wins on both days of the Spring Nitro Jam. In Salt Lake, Litton continued his undefeated streak on Day 1, again bringing in the Iron Man. And although he finally lost a round of competition when Day 2 rolled around, it wasn’t until the finals.

Litton’s extraordinary weekend started off in a rather unique way. Thursday before the start of the Friday-Saturday event, Litton and fellow Top Fuel drivers Bobby Lagana Jr. and brother Dom took a trip over to Salt Lake’s Utah Olympic Park where they were privy to a thrill quite different from the drag strip kind. The trio took a bobsled ride from the official Olympic track.

“It was pretty awesome. It gives you a completely different view of what other people do to excel at their sport,” Litton said of the ride. “There is a lot of work that goes into being good at these sports just like there is a lot of work that goes into what we do- not only the bobsled, but the ski jumps and all the other sports. It is neat to see how hard these people work to hone their talents.”

The bobsled, although wildly different from Top Fuel, had its own level of intensity and thrill. It included 15 turns, g-forces rivaling a typical Top Fuel run and speeds approaching 70 mph.

“The cockpit of the bobsled reminds me a lot of the fuel cars, but I certainly have never had a person behind me with their feet wrapped around me,” Litton added. “In my case it was Dom’s foot right up alongside me during the run,” Litton said with a laugh. “It was a neat experience and it is something that gives me a different perspective at what goes into these other extreme sports.”

Another connection between bobsledding and Top Fuel racing is Lucas Oil. Not only do they sponsor Litton’s Slick Mist dragster but they are very active in bobsled racing as well, supporting the U.S. Olympic team and sponsoring a bobsled run in Lake Placid each year.

“This is something that Lucas Oil has always been involved in. I have always been interested in the sport so it is pretty cool that I got to see what it is they do first hand,” Litton said.

The excitement from the pre-event festivities never died as Litton carried it over to a win on Day 1. In round one he defeated fellow bobsledder Bobby Lagana Jr. in a peddle fest, Bruce’s 5.663 getting the win over Lagana’s 5.752. In the finals, Litton’s foe was young gun Spencer Massey. Litton’s 5.230 was no match for Massey’s 5.885 and Litton claimed his eighth straight consecutive round win, his fourth straight event win.

Day 2 of the Salt Lake Nitro Jam again showed the prowess of the Lucas Oil Slick Mist team. In round one Litton defeated his nemesis from Day 1, Spencer Massey, with a stout 5.289 to Massey’s 6.095. The final round again paired Litton against Bobby Lagana Jr. This time the tables were turned as Lagana’s 5.244 edged out Litton’s 5.251. On that run, however, Litton took top speed of the weekend at 261.52 mph.

“It was all around an incredible weekend for us,” stated the ’07 Champ. “Starting off with that incredible bobsled run, the weekend just got continually better. My team is doing a phenomenal job at getting this Slick Mist dragster down the track no matter what the conditions. Although we would have liked to catch the win on Day 2 as well, we can’t complain at four straight event titles and six finals so far for the year.

“Lucas is a wonderful company that supports not only drag racing, but many motorsports and other extreme sports,” Litton continued. “Visiting the Olympic Park and taking a ride in the bobsled gave me an even deeper respect for Lucas and all that do for sporting fans across the globe. I’m proud to be representing this company and extremely happy we could give them a win and runner up this weekend.”

From Salt Lake City, Litton and the Slick Mist crew head to Edmonton, Alberta where they hope to wow Nitro Jam and Lucas Oil fans once again with their winning ways.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back