Bernstein starting from top half of the field in Phoenix (1 Viewer)

PHOENIX (Feb. 23) - After making solid runs during the first three qualifying sessions at the NHRA Arizona Nationals, the ProtectTheHarvest.com/MAVTV Top Fuel dragster decided to give driver Brandon Bernstein a bit of a challenge in the final session.

"It was running a lot better, but I had to shut it off early," Bernstein said. "It made a hard, hard left and it was so quick I jerked it back to the right but got too close to the centerline. At that point I told myself, 'You have to lift; this is ridiculous.' I hated having to shut it off."

Despite having to abort his final qualifying run, Bernstein will begin Sunday's eliminations at Firebird International Raceway from the No. 8 spot after recording a 3.813 best at 305.22 mph.

"I had to shut off that last run before the finish line, which means it was on target to run in the 3.70s," Bernstein said. "We should have qualified a little higher but that's all right. We'll be ready tomorrow with lane choice, which seems to be important here."

Bernstein's first-round opponent in Phoenix will be the polar opposite of his first-round foe at the season opener last weekend in Pomona. He opened the season against rookie Brittany Force but tomorrow will draw No. 9 qualifier (3.814, 320.51 mph) Larry Dixon, one of the most highly decorated veterans in the class.

"Larry is going to go in and do his deal and I'm going to do mine," Bernstein said. "It's nice knowing there's a seasoned veteran in the other lane who isn't going to do anything crazy. Sometimes when you are out there against people who haven't been out there that long you aren't sure how they are going to react.

"It feels good knowing you have someone in the other lane you trust a lot."

The NHRA Arizona Nationals will get under way at 11 a.m. PST on Sunday morning. ESPN2 will air the eliminations show Sunday night starting at 8 p.m. EST.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back