Beckman Snares No. 9 In Phoenix Qualifying (1 Viewer)

BECKMAN SNARES NO. 9 IN PHOENIX QUALIFYING

CHANDLER, Ariz. (Feb. 24, 2007) - "Fast" Jack Beckman admits he is on a steep learning curve as a relative newcomer to the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series Funny Car class. Challenges face him at every new venue as he continues to gain valuable seat time behind the Valvoline/MTS Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car.

He qualified No. 9 today for the CSK Nationals at Firebird Raceway, the second national event of the 2007 season and his seventh ever in the Funny Car class. He's in the field with his 4.748-second elapsed time at 323.04 mph, but without lane choice over Eric Medlen in the first round of eliminations on Sunday.

In the final qualifying pass of the day he veered close to the left-side wall, posting a 4.812/287.11. Beckman's previous laps were a 6.682/131.93, his quick 4.748/323.04, and a 4.913/303.78.

"Some of the quicker runs are some of the easier runs," he reflected on his season-ending national-record breaking runs in Pomona, Calif., among others. "There are some runs when I get out of the car the guys say, 'Hey, you did a great job,' and it was pretty easy to drive, it stayed in the middle of the lane, I had to make a little correction on the steering wheel, but it made a really pretty-looking run.

"And there's other runs in a certain lane, at certain tracks, where it's nothing but pretty. I get behind the car sometimes. It's frustrating knowing you're making those mistakes when you're driving for a championship team. They have a top-five car and I just want to get myself to be a top-10 driver soon. And, I find I make improvements and then something different will happen that I've never experienced. And it's such a steep learning curve in these cars. And right now I'm just a little bit frustrated.

"We're in, we're ninth, and I don't think it's a big deal that we're not in the top half. We got one of the Force cars tomorrow and they're always tough. But I still like our chances. We still have a great MTS Dodge crew and a great race car and there's no reason that the lanes shouldn't be equal first round."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back