Beckman snags no. 4 in denver qualifying (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]MORRISON, Colo. (July 11, 2009) - Jack Beckman was a happy man after qualifying No. 4 for the Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway. The driver of the Valvoline/Mail Terminal Services Dodge Funny Car, whose two years racing on the drag strip carved out of the Colorado mountain delivered him one victory in two final rounds, was hoping for a better result, but he's not complaining.

Beckman posted his quickest elapsed time of 4.156 seconds at 303.37 mph in the final qualifying session in the dark, placing him at the time in third behind teammates Ron Capps and Matt Hagan. Tony Pedregon, however, broke up the DSR triumvirate by recording a 4.135/294.50 to bump himself into No. 2.

His other laps included a 5.350/139.49 (No. 10), a 4.412/294.37 (No. 9) and a 4.328/285.47 (No. 13).

"That's mission accomplished," said Beckman. "It couldn't have gone much better. We would have liked to have been first or second, but I have no complaints.

"We made a lot of little changes to the Valvoline/MTS car, so we weren't quite sure the track was going to handle the extra power, and I knew the moment I pulled the 'chute that it was a good pass. I got on the radio and said, Oh yeah. The crew didn’t even tell me what it had run yet, but I knew that was a stout pass.

"This is what we have to do. You get more points for qualifying high, you get a better first round match-up, and you get lane choice. And this is exactly what we have to keep doing. It doesn't guarantee we're going to get out of first round, but it gives us a better chance going into first round."

Beckman faces Jerry Toliver in the first round of Sunday's Funny Car eliminations.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back